Fuel Performance
By rb211 on
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
Purchased in October. Was getting 29 mpg on average. The cold weather began in mid December and mileage waned. Now January, Polar Vortex in PA, and the mileage is down to no better than 21. Takes quite a while to warm up...that's ok, I have heated seats. Defrost is ok, but it is just fogged windows I have to cope with - not the frost many of you spoke of. But I turn on the defrost or the heater and in auto, the air conditioner compressor is engaged to regulate the set temp. Can't turn it off. RPM goes up 500. OAT is 8 degrees. Don't need AC, just bring in outside air. Not smart engineering there. Is it because of the CVT, Mr. Engineer? Love the car otherwise.
Favorite Features
Handling is crisp and positive. Great moonroof. Well organized engine compartment. Spacious interior. Comfortable seats even on long trips. Very good visibility. I think I like the CVT. Many don't like the stiff suspension; I like it, and the ground clearance. The limited edition has a lot of nice features.
Suggested Improvements
Permit the operator to kill the air conditioner system when heating the car. In FULL AUTO, let outside air come in in lieu of running the AC...that's wasteful and contrary to the pursuit of 'green'. The RPM is forced up about another 500 when the heater is on. Verified by turning off the heater and observing the engine speed drop 500 RPM. Why change controls? On my 2004 Forester you move the wiper vertically to wash the windows, and pull it to take a swipe. On the 2014 exactly opposite. Criminy, Mr. Engineer.
By physics2010
on 02/03/14 22:36 PM (PST)

The AC runs to dehumidify the air, not to regulate the temperature. Common practice for defrost.