Not happy
By dhc4 on
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
Have owned this Subaru (my first) for just three months and am baffled by all the wonderful reviews. The gas mileage is nowhere near what was advertised. Its ride is rough and bumpy on anything other than totally smooth roads. The car has so many interior rattles and clunking noises that it's impossible to enjoy a quiet drive through the countryside. Today, with typical cold winter temps, my driver's side door didn't open easily, the windshield wipers were still totally frozen after the defroster was running for a full 20 minutes and none of the power windows would open, even after another 20 minutes of driving with the heat at full blast. Am I supposed to wait until April for them to open?
Favorite Features
Handles nicely on turns, good on acceleration and seems reliable when driving on snowy/icy surfaces.
Suggested Improvements
All of the issues that I wrote about above, plus the rear hatch opener needs improvement because it rarely functions properly. Am glad for those of you who are very happy with your Subaru and wish I felt the same.
By pennsylvania
on 01/11/14 14:44 PM (PST)

how is your AWD In the snow dose it work good or batter thin your 4wheel drive in the snow

By tamricks
on 01/12/14 18:00 PM (PST)

I live in Northern MN and also have several cold weather issues with my 2014 Forester. Have you had it in to your dealership? If so, what did they say? The dealership I purchased mine at agrees they run cold but says "at this time there is nothing we can do to help you." I'm trading it in on Monday....it's hazardous. It won't defrost properly, the interior doesn't warm up, my cool engine light comes on after warming up the car and driving many miles. At which point the car is so cold, it doesn't want to run properly. I put the hazardous lights on and won't drive it over 45 mph while on the interstate. I'm so disappointed.

By dhc4
on 01/13/14 11:23 AM (PST)

To Pennsylvania: I can only comment on the performance of my AWD Forester and it does drive well on snow covered roads. I don't feel as if the car is sliding around at all. But this good feature is not all that reassuring when visibility is compromised due to windshield defrosting problems. To tamricks: Thank you for your input. At least now I feel I'm not the only one unhappy with my new Forester. I plan to discuss things with the dealership and agree with you that the cold weather issues are hazardous and worrisome. Am very disappointed as well.

By okcthunder1
on 02/01/14 18:27 PM (PST)

I would be asking the dealer to check the cooling system thermostat for proper operation; it sounds like it could be defective or stuck in the open position. There's no reason this engine or any other should not be generating sufficient thermal output to heat the interior under normal circumstances. Yes it is dangerous and if I received no satisfaction from the dealer I'd go up the ladder and escalate it.

By mjlind
on 04/25/14 06:53 AM (PDT)

I would agree with this review. I have almost 3000 miles on my 2014 Forester (Premium w/ Auto and All Weather Package), and I am starting to regret my purchase because of its very bumpy ride and "jack rabbit" starts with the CVT. I read the other reviews about the tire pressure being way high so I checked mine, and it was at 44 psi. So I knocked it down to the 30/29 psi on the door panel. Unfortunately, the ride improved a little but not as much as I was hoping. What even disappoints me more is I researched the heck out of this car before purchasing and had to convince my wife to go with it over an Equinox. I had driven a CVT before (my wife's Dodge Caliber) and took a long test drive, but I think I was just blinded by my excitement to make a big purchase. If there were not the issues with the ride and drive, I would love this car. It has many nice features and is very roomy and airy in the cabin, which I like. I would say the issues I mention with the ride and drive are most noticeable for in town, red light-green light, driving. These issues are less noticeable while driving on the highway.

By ggandr
on 02/19/14 19:33 PM (PST)

Wish I had seen these comments earlier. Based on reviews, ratings, and Subaru's reputation, decided to buy a 2104 Forester in January and it arrived yesterday--they are so popular, they are sold before they arrive on the lot! (that in itself was a selling point) Gas mileage, safety, "surprisingly car-like for a SUV" all appealed. We sat in a rental but were not able to actually drive it. Drove new car home today and what a disappointment: Bounced with every bump; jostled and swayed as we stopped and started; even felt engine vibrations in the seats. I felt like I was on safari! Called the dealer immediately, but with 16 miles on it, the car is "used," so no give backs. We are working with the dealer to find another car that will work, but what a sad day--the day we brought home our new Subaru Forester! (and now that I read about other issues besides the bumpy ride, I really wonder about the rave reviews!)

By gearhead71
on 02/20/14 13:20 PM (PST)

Sounds like a defect. Mine has been great in the cold weather.