2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: Purchase Was A Mistake

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

Purchase Was A Mistake
By eja6 on

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After 13,700 miles on my 2014 2.5i Premium with CVT, I have decided my purchase was a big mistake. I kept trying to "get used to" the annoying characteristics of this drivetrain, which include an overly sensitive pedal response, producing a constant "rubber band effect" in city traffic and over revving on the road when passing. I have grown to hate it so much I am avoiding driving it. The gutless engine makes a lot of noise when pushed, but noise does not make it go fast. Additionally, the CVT bucked and jumped when cold for the first 5,000 or so miles of use, and the dealer had no explanation or fix. Not the worst car I have bought, it's close.

Big windows and doors that open wide.

Add about 25 hp to the NA engine, and make a good six speed conventional auto transmission available. If buyers want a CVT, make it an option, not the standard. All CVTs should have paddle shifters. Provide a simple, more useful information system in the car electronics. The current one is poorly designed and has features (such as setting birthday notices for relatives) with no vehicle driving value. The sun visors are poorly designed and should have a telescoping rod to move the main visor rather than adding a sliding panel. Carpet is cheap and collects grime and lint, needs improvement. Aw heck, the biggest improvement would be to send the CVT/2.5 NA drivetrain to the dustbin.