2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: Good for the money

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual)

Good for the money
By kw_co on

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have the 6 speed manual and got about 30 mpg on the highway with average speed of 75 mph. Put 3500 miles on it in the first two weeks (road trip). Drove down the Pacific Highway (CA 1) and it handled pretty well. It was a little underpowered going up steep hills in the Rockies (had to change down to 4th), but that's not why I bought it, as I will do 99.99% of my driving on the flat. It did OK in San Francisco though, with a lower speed limit in 2nd. It's mainly intended as a runabout which will get me through the odd snow day. It serves that purpose extremely well.

Big rear doors so it's easy to get kids in an out of the back. All weather package comes standard on manuals so I got window wiper defrosters. Blue tooth iPhone connection works well. Upgraded to a 7 year, 100K bumper to bumper warranty for $8 extra per month.

Blue tooth Audio can't seem to change between playlists (though I haven't set it up fully yet). 2.5L 4 cyl engine underpowered on steep grades. Have to change down to 4th, but slow going. If you do a lot of mountain driving that will get old fast. Turbo engine may not have this limitation.