Recent purchase. Will update down the road. Consider all ratings TBD and/or "for the money"
By walmint on
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
Took delievery only yesterday, but I wanted to provide an advanced review to help those that are considering a Forester. Edmund's consumer reviews were very helpful to me, so I wanted to give something back. So far: smooth/compliant ride quality, solid feel, genrally quiet with a hint of road and wind noise, CVT works very well, great visibility, excellent seats, fit and finish are nice, spacious and "open" interior, sharp styling. We have a 2013 CRV EX-L too, and I think the Forester compares favorable. I think the fit and finish of the CRV (even for lower trims) is a little better than the Forester. But the ride quality seems better on the Forester, and the visibility is much better.
Favorite Features
Spacious and open interior. Excellent visiblity. Good ride quality. Good mileage (to be confirmed). Exterior styling. Reasonable price. I'm guessing that the AWD will perform well, and safety scores will be strong. Both to be confirmed down the road. If you are a tall driver, this vehicle is nothing short of fantastic, especially without a sunroof. As an aside, I was also considering the Crosstrek, which is very cool. In driving it back-to-back against the Forester though, the Forester had a much better ride quality and visibility. With mileage and pricing being similar, the Forester seems like a better buy, unless the styling and packing of the Crosstrek is personally compelling.
Suggested Improvements
My biggest complaint so far is trim level packaging. I don't like a sun roofs...at all. I would have gladly paid for a CVT premium, but, alas, it comes with a gigantic hole in the roof. That would almost be ok if it included a backup camera. It's not cool to omit a safety feature due to trim packaging. I'll look into audio/camera after market options. I also wasn't impressed by the leather qualited in the Limited Model, and I found it less comfortable than the cloth seats. And I don't care for the dopey "spoiler" on higher trims. Personal opinion, of course. As with any vehicle, I'm sure more quirks will present themselves. Overall, a very nice vehicle though.