Premium Feel With the Premium Price
By 08subaru on
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
Having test driven the Forester we knew this was a very good vehicle & one that bested our older cars (07 and 08 Impreza) in nearly every way. As the miles have passed both my mom and I have become more & more impressed with these vehicles. The ride is sublime, yet the Forester handles like a car half its size with little pronounced body roll. The quality of the interior is vastly improved with a soft touch dash & no squeaks or rattles. Also, this is a very easy car to drive with an incredible visibility & back up camera. And in spite of being bigger and heavier I'm already averaging better fuel economy then my Impreza. Subaru has clearly made an incredible car, that is why we bought two!
Favorite Features
Subaru still offers a manual transmission on the Forester (6-Speed) Spaciousness Numerous power driver seat adjustments Fuel Economy (I'm already averaging over the stated combined rating) Infotainment System Standard Backup Camera Ipod and Wireless Phone Connectivity Ride/Handling Balance The All-Weather Package is standard equipment on all manually equipped 2.5i Premium Foresters The service and deals we received (both our salesman and finance officer bent over backwards for us and made this a very easy experience) The accessories are more reasonably priced compared to those of my Impreza.
Suggested Improvements
More soft touch materials, for instance applied to the top of the interior door panels. Better stereo (coming from an aftermarket unit using a JVC head-unit and Pioneer speakers and being an audiophile this stereo simple does not cut it for me, but will no doubt satisfy an average music listener) The iPod controls can be a little confusing because you cannot access any of your iPod's playlist or artist ect. through the steering wheel mounted infotainment controls. You have to use the stereo head-unit and even then it is still not that easy to use.
By 0814subaru
on 05/03/13 17:02 PM (PDT)

To operate the clutch you need very little pressure. For a comparison, my 2008 Impreza 2.5i with the 5-speed manual needed more pressure to operate the clutch. Personally, I don't think the clutch is vague, but rather very easy to use, especially when you take into account the hill holder feature. As for the shift actions, they are medium in length/throw and rubbery. For me, coming from my Impreza, it did take some getting used to as the distance between 3rd and 5th is very small and I found myself during the test drive and for a short time after I purchased the Forester missing 3rd gear and going into 5th. To be honest, I think the shifter could use some stiffer bushings. But other than that I really like the 6-speed. All in all, I feel like I'm in control more, that the car is quicker, even with the manual the Forester is still very easy to drive, and I think it smoother than the CVT equipped Foresters as I noticed that the throttle on the CVT models seems much more sensitive and considerably less smooth when it engages which causes a sort of neck jerking operation. Also, I've been getting a little over 30 miles to the gallon and the manual equipped cars cost about a thousand dollars less then the CVT's. Plus, if your are getting the Premium model with a manual, it come standard with the all weather package, which was something that I really wanted and didn't have to pay extra for. So, when it comes to the choice between manual or CVT 2014 Forester I would highly recommend the manual. I mean, its not perfect, but neither is the CVT, and in my opinion there are simple too many pros to the manual.

By automotivebuff
on 04/04/13 20:48 PM (PDT)

You provided a great commentary, however, could you please describe your 6 speed MT experience? For instance, does the clutch feel numb at all as some auto writers seem to describe and how much pressure has to be exerted to engage it? Can a heel toe maneuver be accomplished with your left foot? Does the shifter engage smoothly with short throws or is there any vagueness? How would you rate the performance of that trans with the engine? Did you test drive the CVT version for any comparison? Thanks.