NOT A COLD WEATHER CAR!
By tamricks on
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
I purchased this car in August. I had a 2010 Forester and loved it. When the new Foresters came out with the improved gas mileage, I bought one. I absolutely loved this car until November when winter hit. Mine won't defrost the windows or the windshield wipers properly. It doesn't heat up the interior of the car. The power windows freeze, and the cool engine light comes on after letting the car warm up and driving it for several miles. Due to the engine running so cold, my gas mileage has almost cut in half during these cold winter months. I have 7000 miles on it, but living in the North, can't keep it. I'm extremely disappointed.
Favorite Features
Roomy interior, car looks great on the inside and the outside, and I love the options on the Premium model.
Suggested Improvements
I think as the winter progresses there will be more and more unhappy Subaru owners in the Northern Regions. It will be too late for me as I'm trading mine in tomorrow, but a fix for the cold engine would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure.
By joepawlicki
on 01/15/14 08:08 AM (PST)

Were you hitting the "rear defroster" button. that activates the windshield wiper/side view mirrors and rear window defrosters.

By tlwcpa
on 01/22/14 10:28 AM (PST)

I have owned my 2014 Forester for about five weeks. It does seem to take longer for the interior to warm up in the cold weather, but it does warm up. I drove from upstate NY to Maine and back just before Christmas and averaged 28 MPG for the trip which is about what I would expect driving at higher speeds in cold temperatures. Winter temperatures reduce gas mileage on any car (my 2010 Prius mileage goes down 15% in the winter). The ability to watch your MPG continually on newer cars may make us aware of things that were always true, but not noticed.

By gber
on 01/27/14 18:41 PM (PST)

Same story: purchased my 2014 Forester in September. Excellent gas mileage that plummented in the colder weather. Frost builds up on the *inside* of the windshield. Feet always cold because heater not very warm and blowing in wrong direction (away from the foot well). This is a decent car in moderate weather, but if you drive in weather below 20 degrees - this isn't the vehicle you want. Sorry Canada!

By physics2010
on 02/03/14 22:39 PM (PST)

Partially block the radiator. Without an active grill the car can't automatically compensate for the extreme weather.

By gearhead71
on 02/20/14 13:18 PM (PST)

I noticed the temp setting needs to be set to HI. I had mine at 76 degrees and thought the same thing. After bringing it up to 85 I noticed a significant improvement, Then brought it up to 90 degrees (AKA HI) temp setting and the car heats up like a champ. Also the defrost timer can be set to 10 - 15 - 20 min or more depending on your needs. Another great feature.

By fandango
on 02/27/14 10:15 AM (PST)

I've wondered how the 2014 Forester would perform in very cold weather. Mine takes a surprisingly long time to warm up the cabin even in moderately cold weather. It will be interesting to follow this issue.

By jkopstein
on 03/17/14 13:12 PM (PDT)

I had the same problem. After repeated service at the dealer, a specialist, decided that there was a bad thermostat. After waiting for the thermostat to be delivered, it was installed and the problem was solved. There is apparently an issue with the thermostats. On another note, the parts delivery system for Subaru has turned [non-permissible content removed].