2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: My New Subaru Forestor Premium

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

My New Subaru Forestor Premium
By deweyhowe on

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Overall, I am very happy with my new vehicle. However, I am disturbed at the gas mileage I am getting on the highway. When I drive on a two lane road (where I live there are limited expressways) I get 35 mpg over longer distances when driving 60 mph. However, when I do get on an expressway and drive 75 mph my gas mileage drops to 25 mpg. On longer trips this is disturbing since most of my driving tends to be longer trips in terms of overall miles I drive.

The space inside for me and my cargo is really good. I just drover 600 miles on a trip and I was really comfortable.

More clearly mark the controls so I know how to use my all weather package that came on the vehicle. I am still trying to figure them out and since I paid extra for them, I want to make sure I use them.
By godeacs
on 09/12/13 09:16 AM (PDT)

Your gas mileage seems right on the money! You do realize when you go over 70 mph you're gonna take a "hit" with any vehicle, right? 25 mph seems OK to me. Geez, 35 mph at 60 mph is great ...

By eja6
on 03/20/14 11:04 AM (PDT)

godeacs: I have the same complaint about mileage. The problem, IMO, is the CVT drivetrain, which at 170 hp is underpowered. The vehicle "hunts" constantly in the gear ratios when on slight hills or in light winds. This kills the mileage at 60 mph+, but less drag at slower speeds allows the underpowered drivetrain to improve. My CRV gets better mileage at 70-75 and is still a boxy design but with more hp and a regular 5 speed, so it's really where the design sweet spot lies.

By godeacs
on 09/12/13 09:18 AM (PDT)

Oops! That should be 25 and 35 mpg NOT mph!