2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: Constantly having to check eng

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

Constantly having to check engine oil
By john749 on

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Ok. we do drive a lot of miles(33,000) in 1 year. We have car serviced every 5000 miles at our local Subaru dealer with Subaru products. Each time of service I buy 2 extra quarts of oil this will keep it full until next service.I have complained they(dealer) tell me it's normal consumption.No leaks. It does drive and ride well just a pain to keep up with the engine oil.We bought this car brand new and we don't abuse it.This is info for anyone thinking of buying the 14 forester 2.5.We buy a new car every 3 years not sure if we'll buy another Subaru.

Suggested Improvements

Fix Oil Consumption!
By skywatchbob
on 05/19/14 18:33 PM (PDT)

I have read several review about this car burning oil even when new. I was seriously thinking about getting one of these, but if it's burning oil right off the lot that tells me it probably won't last long. I think I will stick with Toyota. 2005 V6 Highlander with 180,000 miles does not burn a drop of oil.

By purple43
on 06/17/15 13:56 PM (PDT)

I read that current Foresters have a tray below the engine with an absorbent pad to catch leaking oil. To me, this says Subaru knows that the engine leaks by design. Why design an engine this way? Because the design achieves excellent power and fuel economy. The oil leakage may be simply an unavoidable engineering trade-off.