BURNS OIL & has a slight hesitation
By coni_k_2014 on
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
I purchased a new 2014 Subaru Forester in July of 2013. All work has been done at Maita Subaru of Sacramento I use the Synthetic 0-20 weight oil, Maita has performed all oil changes. I drive a lot so from July to now I have put 28000 miles on my car. Maita said that this engine burns oil and I should have to add about a quart between oil changes. They said that its the engine and its design so it gets better gas mileage. So now I have to bring back in every 1200 miles to check and see if it is burning more than usual, NOT a Happy Subaru owner!!
Favorite Features
Nothing! Not happy with my purchase at all at this time.
Suggested Improvements
Recall that engine, I know people that use the same type of oil and their cars don't burn oil. Engine designed to burn oil to save a little gas?? That is ridiculous. FIX it and make your customers happy.
By rach10
on 05/01/14 14:19 PM (PDT)

I have the same problem. I had driven about 3,000 miles after my first oil change and my brand new 2014 Forester needed oil. I was on a trip and the gas station didn't have recommended oil, so I chose the next closest synthetic oil. when I got home I took the car to the Lasher Subaru service dept (where I purchased it) and told them it needed oil after only 3,000 miles of reasonable driving. The service rep told me that was odd and that maybe the rep who changed the oil didn't top it off. that would have been bad since I paid over $100 for the synthetic oil change there. Anyway, I told them I couldn't find the recommended oil on my trip, and he said I had to have a new oil change and he charged me full price on it. Of course, a couple of thousand miles later, I needed more oil. I took it back, and this time a service rep said the 2014 models were burning oil and they didn't know why. He said that I needed to bring it in after 1,000 miles to have it checked to see if it really is buring oil. Really? it obviously burns oil, uses expensive oil, and no one told me when I bought the car that I was going to have to add oil between oil changes even when the car is young. Always had Hondas and never had to add oil between changes. Will not buy another Subaru.

By ehrendog
on 06/25/14 10:45 AM (PDT)

NEVER, ever had to add any Oil to my 2.5 Forester...10,000 miles and not a drop needed. I do my own synthetic oil changes and avoid Cost and also ensure that oil is at proper level to begin with.