Big investment..looking for big reward.
By readytodrive on
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
I bought this car after shopping for two months. I kept coming back to it, I like the clean line look, the great visibility and with the premium enough new gadgets but not to overwhelming. I haven't owned the car long...it is a 2014! However, I would suggest to anyone to drive the car both day and night. I HATE the dashboard lighting...it is red. Without 20/20 vision it makes it extremely difficult to see the small icons. Comfort is good but not luxurious. Value was fair. Design is simple and inexpensive hardware. Reliability, visibility and reputation was the selling points. Not getting promised gas mileage yet. On first tank of gas. Look to own this car for long time.
Favorite Features
Best feature is visibility. Like the handling but only have 100 miles so far. Back up camera use at night is fantastic...hard to see clearly during the daylight. Hands free phone connectivity. Feel secure and safe in the driver seat. Love the side mirrors. Power seats. Heated seats are a nice feature. Like the valet key and hatch unlock only features. Mirror night light for exiting.
Suggested Improvements
A different back up light to the dashboard icons. I can not stress this enough!! The Red hurts the eyes and without great vision makes the icons difficult to see. Also red is a color associated with anger and there is enough road rage. A rubberized cargo tray as a standard equipment, also door guard rails.
By grdma2
on 04/04/13 23:19 PM (PDT)

I have a 2014 Forester Premium model. I have found that you get better gas mileage with mid-grade gas - 89 octane. It bumped mileage up quite a bit. I will see after I have had the car a few more weeks to see if this holds true.

By othercarnotvan
on 05/06/13 10:57 AM (PDT)

My wife also didn't like the dim red dash lighting -- but we got the Touring model, which doesn't have that for the most part. Also our gas mileage varies but of course is not EPA city or combined numbers. Still it's good I think -- freeway driving we get between 27 and as high as 32 depending upon our speed. Best mileage is at 55mph. When you go 70 or 80 it goes down some -- but that is expected. Combined overall we seem to get around 24-25 mpg (not 27 like EPA). Stop and go city traffic is even lower of course. Glad I didn't get the Turbo since the mileage would be lower. Still, it feels good to see the display showing 25-30mpg on a trip -- which is much better than my former car and good for a car with all wheel drive and this roomy.

By suvluv1
on 09/13/13 12:19 PM (PDT)

Why on earth would you be on the road WITHOUT a 20/20 vision? Put your eyes on before you get in a car!