Used 2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Oil burner & Subaru does not want to admit problem
By rickaus

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned 7 subarus now, 2 brought new and my 2012 Forester brought new is a disappointment. Have had all services done with Subaru, it uses excessive amounts of oil, and dealer / Subaru said this was acceptable and did not want to fix it, despite so many people reporting similar problems. In the end after continual protestations on my part, after a year of oil consumption tests (inconvenient) and with me having to be very assertive in articulating my complaint, they eventually have just now replaced the piston rings under warranty, a complete pull down of engine. Just because of the way I have been treated, I would not recommend to buy one.

All wheel drive

Very poor media system / radio, very poor difficult to use menu, average sound quality / would be at the bottom of it's class. Rear leg room. Disappointed that manual transmission has been phased out for the 2.5i motor.

Why the Subaru is Vermont's State Animal
By catperson9

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this SUV in July 2013 and now have 6,600 miles on it, using it only in summers at our cabin in Vermont and storing it all winter. We average 27 mpg in Green Mountain driving, get up to 31 mpg. The Forester rides and handles well. Alleged noise from engine, CVT and road is actually no problem. Visibility is unparalleled. Cargo capacity is enormous. If anything, the car is a bit too big for my preference; it's truck-sized. But, in a Subaru plus, controls are simple. (We have no nav, since we tend to know where we are, or excessive infotainment nonsense.) Consumer Reports ranked the Forester tops in class, and we can endorse that. I'd buy another.

Visibility, seating comfort, cargo capacity, ride, handling, simple controls, rear view camera.

Can't think of any.

MPG much better than estimated
By treeweasel

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We have had our 2014 Forester for a year now and still love it. My wife hated the styling of all Subarus and refused to even test drive one until I tricked her into looking at the new Forester by telling her it was a Mitsubishi. She was pleased with the styling, amazed by how easy it was to drive (it's like driving an awd glass bubble with the turning radius of a jeep) and completely shocked when I informed her that she was in a Subaru. It has performed wonderfully even in the 10 inch snows we got repeatedly last winter and has been a joy to own. On top of that I frequently break 40mpg on trips and overall average 34mpg with 50/50 highway city driving.

The awd while maintaining hybrid levels of fuel economy.

The seats could use some work. Little thigh support leaves you feeling like you are about to slide out of your seat at all times.

16 months 42,000 mile ya I drive a lot
By worldbfree

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Originally fog light out and intermittent cruise. I could take the key out and the car would roll away, gas gauge range not accurate I have run out twice range said 70 miles no low fuel light. Okay so they got the kinks out and I like it.
I have a 2012 forester premium and a 2014 premium. I like the gas mileage and find it plenty comfy plenty of pep. I commute over 100 miles a day round trip. I was very disappointed with a lowball $19,200 trade offer when I was having problems with it paid like $26 to $27 I forget a few nice options

Gas mileage, heated seats, smooth comfy peppy. Auto dimming rear view mirror and auto dimming side mirrors with approach lights. I drive at night a lot so I love that feature oh and the moon roof is nice. The dog divider is great plenty of room for my shepherd and doberman.

Initial reliability needs to be there in a new 2014vehicle for this much money. It should not use about 1 qt of oil between 7500 mile oil changes. The remote start -the car should stay on when I open the door. The fuel gauge should work properly the range should be accurate instead of running out of gas twice.

Good power but skeptical about the else
By iizqueue

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This SUV has solid power train. Would rate it higher if I purchased premium or limited.

The power train has little difference from the basic to touring. But extras are definitely not worth $10k.

Nav is a joke. Slow response. Hard to see the screen under sun. And no steering information from the vehicle?? Use your phone instead, because that's actually a better nav system.

Mpg. You get 30+ mpg only when driving at 50 mph. At 70~75 mph, you get about 24 mpg.

Safety. Eyesight doesn't work well when facing sun or in the dark. So it doesn't help when the driver really needs some help. Also extremely sensitive gas pedal, and extremely insensitive brake pedal.

In 2014, this SUV does not have auto-lock. Seriously? Safety in a crash accident is important. But it is equally important to think about other safe issues. Like thefts in parking lots. Or easiness of controls. This car has too sensitive gas pedal when compared with other cars. On the other hand, you have to step on the brake pedal very deep to stop this car.