2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

NOT A COLD WEATHER CAR!
By tamricks

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this car in August. I had a 2010 Forester and loved it. When the new Foresters came out with the improved gas mileage, I bought one. I absolutely loved this car until November when winter hit. Mine won't defrost the windows or the windshield wipers properly. It doesn't heat up the interior of the car. The power windows freeze, and the cool engine light comes on after letting the car warm up and driving it for several miles. Due to the engine running so cold, my gas mileage has almost cut in half during these cold winter months. I have 7000 miles on it, but living in the North, can't keep it. I'm extremely disappointed.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, car looks great on the inside and the outside, and I love the options on the Premium model.

Suggested Improvements

I think as the winter progresses there will be more and more unhappy Subaru owners in the Northern Regions. It will be too late for me as I'm trading mine in tomorrow, but a fix for the cold engine would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure.

Good, but not excellent. Nav isn't........
By coddar

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Picked up a 2014 FXT Touring in November 2013. Comfort is average but could be improved with power passenger seat. Gas mileage is a little better than my 2011 BMW 335xi 6MT, but only by 1-2 mpg- so around 22 city, 27 hwy. Big problem is 1990's navigation system that was delivered with Q3 2012 maps while Q1 2013 maps were already availble from the Subaru website - for $149!!!. Maps can't be downloaded to Macs, only PCs and require SD card reader. Subaru said they'd reimburse me for the maps, but really? Why should a vehicle produced in 10/2013 have Q3 2012 maps? Why can't the dealer keep current SD cards and why on earth would anyone pay Subaru and the wait? Can't wait to dump this hog.

Favorite Features

Accelleration, visibility.

Suggested Improvements

2014 navigation that updates in real-time from web sources so that consumers don't get constantly reamed as roads change. The current system couldn't find the major road leading from the dealership to my area since the road opened in Dec 2012- only 11 months before the vehicle was delivered.

Not happy
By dhc4

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have owned this Subaru (my first) for just three months and am baffled by all the wonderful reviews. The gas mileage is nowhere near what was advertised. Its ride is rough and bumpy on anything other than totally smooth roads. The car has so many interior rattles and clunking noises that it's impossible to enjoy a quiet drive through the countryside. Today, with typical cold winter temps, my driver's side door didn't open easily, the windshield wipers were still totally frozen after the defroster was running for a full 20 minutes and none of the power windows would open, even after another 20 minutes of driving with the heat at full blast. Am I supposed to wait until April for them to open?

Favorite Features

Handles nicely on turns, good on acceleration and seems reliable when driving on snowy/icy surfaces.

Suggested Improvements

All of the issues that I wrote about above, plus the rear hatch opener needs improvement because it rarely functions properly. Am glad for those of you who are very happy with your Subaru and wish I felt the same.

2.0XT Touring is a high quality jem
By autotimer

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I have owned this car for two months. It is really fun to drive. I drove the2.5i Limited first but when I drove the 2.0 XT I fell in love with it. I have sacrificed gas mileage but the smooth power and increased handling capabilities sold me. Then the dealer offered me a trade in price for my car I could not pass up. I had a Mazda CX5 which was a good car but my wife had problems getting in that car and its visibility was not great. The Forester solved those problems. There is a solid high quality feeling with the Forester. Each day I drive this car I feel the refinement of its build.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine (smooth and easy acceleration), commanding view, ease of entry and exit for driver, ample leg room in back seat, excellent sound system, easy access to oil filter and oil drain plug for owner oil changes, great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Lighted glove box, lighted front sun visors, have an analog dash temperature gauge instead of an idiot light, a rear weather floor liner that covers hump.

Love this new model but MPG not as advertised
By blny

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 3rd Subaru, but first Forester. Never bought before because it was too small. I am 6' tall, not huge, but this is the first Forester model I feel comfortable both in front and back. My teenage boys are very comfy in the backseat, and they are my height. My only complaint is the gas mileage. I get 20-21 mpg when the local EPA MPG is 24. That's a big difference, and I am not driving like a leadfoot ! I ease off on gas and coast to stop signs and red lights, and that's the only way I got close to 21mpg. My much larger outback gets about 19-20 locally, so only a 1 mpg improvement with a smaller Subaru.

Favorite Features

Spacious in front and back sets ! Moonroof is huge, like driving a convertible.

Suggested Improvements

There is a blindspot for the driver looking over his right shoulder, across the middle of the car, as I do when I back out of my driveway every single day. Do not have same issue on my outback, this need to be addressed in a future model.