2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
2014 Subaru Forester Loaded With New Features
By mightynuke on 07/24/13 13:59 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased our 2014 Subaru Forester, 2.5i Premium/EFF on April 30, 2013. Safety features and AWD capabilities are impressive. Our 4 Cyl Boxer engine delivers 170 HP. It has very adequate acceleration from either a fully stopped position and for speeding up rapidly for passing. Other features that we like are the great visibly, large doors that extend all the way down to sealed kick panels for easy, dirt-free entry and exit, very smooth CVT tranny, very responsive steering and handling in all driving conditions, comfortable adjustable seats, AL-alloy wheels, rear view camera, 8.7-inch ground clearance. Mileage of 32 mpg hwy w/AC has also been great for a vehicle of this size and pep.

overall owner's view of Subaru 2014 Touring model Forester
By subieone on 07/17/13 17:31 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is our 2nd foester- we have a 2011 Touring model as well as the new 2014 Touring model ( i vesrsions) The cars are very differant, might as well be made by 2 differant companies , they so unalike- The major differances are improvements to the tranny (now CVT) smoother than the 4 gear jobby of our 2011-- beter gas mileage (3 to 4 miles per gal improvement) We have the A/C on continually , so do not get EPA standard ratings( 24/32 mpg)_pay a penalty of about 4 m/p/g less on average- BUT the improvement of the 2011 Touring model is a average of 3 to 5 m/p/g - __ Interior very roomy- STARK

A disappointment.
By phil_from_cal on 07/17/13 10:45 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

All-weather package is the only feature of touring trim I found worthwhile. Navigation and infotainment systems are half-disabled when the car is moving. The CVT responds well in sport and sport# modes, but it's horrible in the "intelligent". So while the gas mileage is close to specs if I drive in the "intelligent" mode only, those numbers have little relevance in real life. Actual fuel efficiency is a lot worse - I get around 20 mpg on the average. Steering feels a bit artificial. The ride is quiet at constant speed, but gets very noisy with even modest acceleration. The cabin is reasonably comfortable except for an awkwardly positioned arm rest that I keep bumping into with my right elbow

First Subaru
By 14bronz on 07/07/13 15:00 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just bought mt first Subaru this wekend. We were set on the CRV but wanted to at least look at the Forester. Well, we drove it home, done deal. I will come back and post more once we get used to it. So far it seems like an amazing little SUV. A bit of electronic overload setting up the audio, but we have it all figured out now. Good buying experience here with Heuberger Motors in Colorado Springs. 2.5i CVT Touring with mirror and rugged packages for $28,244. Great people to work with.

Great Vehicle
By fad1520 on 06/19/13 10:41 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I took delivery of my Forester on March 21. I have about 4K miles on the car to date. I traded in a 2005 Honda Element. Boy, what an upgrade this has been. The car is fun to drive and handles great. I have been averaging about 30 MPG with a mix of highway and city. The radio and navigation system are not difficult to operate as other reviews have pointed out. My 10 year old daughter had it figured out in no time. The nav system works great. I had to meet some work colleagues at a supplier about an hour away from home and I was the only one who made it to the right location. The others used the iphone and got lost.

Review for Rural Mail Carriers
By oldgoatrr1 on 06/11/13 16:19 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Ride and seat comfort is comfortable, neither too hard nor too soft. Interior room is huge for its size. Drivers seat very adjustable. If you are tall, leaning over console armrest is no problem. If you are short, your seat back will be in front of the armrest so you can slide over the cupholders to reach boxes on the right side. Side windows are large and go up/down quicker than most. Outside mirrors are good size and are more tall than wide, so pulling up to boxes is easy. All windows seem very large as well, visibility is the best of any vehicle I have driven. Lots of room all through the Forester for tubs/trays and can be stacked as high as you dare.

38,694 of 38,718 people found this review helpful
Happy after 2 weeks
By chicagoblues on 05/08/13 20:38 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've had my '14 Forester in the Limited trim model and I've been delighted. So many things people have already noted are true: the terrific visibility, the great mileage, the quality of the interior features, the quiet and stable ride. I've noticed, too, that it has a nimble feel, with a very tight turning radius. Responsive steering, perfectly adequate acceleration with the CVT normally aspirated engine. I'm happy with the sound system--I went for the tweeter upgrade--and I like the all weather package, power lift gate and leather which are standard on the Limited.

33 of 38,927 people found this review helpful
First 500
By brekdown on 04/24/13 09:29 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I will come back to update in a few months but I wanted to get my initial ownership impressions out there. Pros: Engine/Turbo - makes a car this large really fun to drive Transmission - High torque CVT with SI modes is best CVT I've driven. Not as fun as VW/Audi's dual clutch DSG, but still very good. Interior Room/Space - Car feels much bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside. Exterior Styling - I've had three unrelated people tell me that the car's profile reminds them of a Porsche Cayenne - I'll take it! Cons: Sunroof: Rattles like crazy when open and doesn't have a tilt function. Seats: Not uncomfortable but not good either, even with the sport side bolsters

Love my new Subaru Forester
By pdxlover on 04/22/13 17:05 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have driven two Honda Accords with manual transmission for the past 10-15 years. I decided I wanted an automatic and a bigger car for safety. I was torn between the Mazda CX5 and this Suburu Forester. Both were great drives and great looking! One of the reasons I chose the Subaru is the EyeSight technology although I have to admit I thought it had the extra feature of letting me know when there was someone in my blind spot (a feature of the Mazda). When I got it, I realized it did not, but still preferred the power liftgate (not on the Mazda)and the peppier engine. I have no buyer's remorse tho and love this car! (Plus my friends are jealous.)

Great Drive, tight turning circle, comfortable
By othercarnotvan on 04/17/13 10:46 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car to downsize from a minivan. It drives like a dream -- nimble, commanding view. Got the eyesight feature and we like the adaptive cruise control and how it beeps if you stray out of lane. Power is adequate. We opted for better mileage and regular fuel. Been getting 27-33 on the freeway (depending on speed and if a/c is on) and 19-24 in city. EPA number for city isn't real. Cabin is roomy and airy. Visibility is good but rear window could be bigger. Nav system is unintuitive and won't let your passenger program it if car is moving - a drawback in my book. Up front storage is limited. Moonroof uses 6 cu/ft of cargo space but only base model doesnt have it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$131 per month*