2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
very very disappointed, lost lots of money on purchase
By john674 on 08/14/13 21:30 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought vehicle based on excellent reviews . very disappointed 1.seat front and back very uncomfortable ,got severe back pain, lumbar support too hard on back problem not detected during 15min test drive complain to dealer, other customers also complained no effect 2.poor mileage only 26 on freeway subaru claims 32 MPG 3.light on dials red at night very disturbing on eyes. not easy to change 4.noisy engine hallow noise idling 5. sound quality very poor knobs small. 6. steering heavy 7. problems finding dealerships very important , had to rent car very expensive must consider before buying subaru.had enough of problems so I trade it in at a huge financial loss. careful of excellent reviews.

Nothing I don't like about it
By conbrio on 08/08/13 23:03 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Over this ast few years I've owned an Audi A4, a Prius, a Mini Cooper S, a VW GTI, and a Chevy Cruze Eco. All were good cars but each had characteristics I didn't care for right from day 1. Not the case with my new Forester. I haven't found a single thing I don't like about this car (well okay, I didn't like the wheel rims so I replaced them with some I do like - but that's it). This 2.5i is the bottom of the line Forester, but it has everything I would ever want in a car, including cruise control, which, on other cars I looked at was available only on the upscale models. Oh, by the way, this color, this eggshell metallic white, was a thousand dollar option on my 2000 Audi.

Delightfully Surprised
By dbrothers on 08/07/13 18:49 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have 1,000 miles on it in three weeks and its getting as advertised gas mileage and that's with blasting the air conditioner. CVT is not loud like a lot of people complain about. I owned a Honda CRV for 4 years and the Subaru is quiter, faster and get better gas mileage. The 2014 body style is smooth and I'm actually looking forward to driving it in the snow this winter.

My first Subaru, very impressed.
By comiskeybum on 08/02/13 09:53 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my first Subaru and my first AWD vehicle. I have driven other AWD cars before from Ford on test drives but nothing beats Subaru's AWD system.There are youtube videos showing why this is and why their system is head and shoulders better than other's. -Gas Mileage: I will report back on this again after more miles are put on it. But right now driving around the city running errands I average 26.7 MPG. Well within the advertised range. -Powertrain: I am shocked at how fast this vehicle accelerates off the line. Because of the CVT transmission it is able to perform like V6 powered cars I have owned in the past. Plenty of power. Much more than our 2010 Chevy Equinox.

Just breaking it in
By stuprince on 07/30/13 10:31 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After having driven a Trailblazer for 7 years, it was time to change to a car with better mileage because I was going to be driving 150 miles a day for work. The Forester was my choice after also driving an Escape, RAV4, CX-5, CR-V, and Equinox. Forester mileage was equal or better than all of them and I am getting about 34 mpg highway right now which should get better as it breaks it. Inside is spacious, came with the winter driving package, heated front seats, and back up camera. Good price at just 26 grand. Easy ride and it cruises at 70 on the freeway without even a push. Handles nice, but could be better. Subaru reliability is legendary so that also sold me on it

2014 Forester ROCKS
By jra32a on 07/25/13 11:03 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My new 2014 Forester is the 4th Subaru I have owned - 2001 Outback, 2005 Outback, 2009 Tribeca were prior. Without a doubt the 2014 Forester mirrors the engineering and design competence at Subaru. The 2013 and prior were not really spacious and the overall comforts were missing. That has all been fixed! The new interior is well designed, roomy, the seats are awesome, and the driver controls, warning lights, instruments, etc. are well arranged and easy to view. The new Lineartronic transmission is silky smooth and saves a couple mpg. Cargo area is ample, and on the 2.5i Touring, the rear seats recline. That is a nice feature. This vehicle almost got 5 stars in every category from me.

2014 Subaru Forester Loaded With New Features
By mightynuke on 07/24/13 13:59 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased our 2014 Subaru Forester, 2.5i Premium/EFF on April 30, 2013. Safety features and AWD capabilities are impressive. Our 4 Cyl Boxer engine delivers 170 HP. It has very adequate acceleration from either a fully stopped position and for speeding up rapidly for passing. Other features that we like are the great visibly, large doors that extend all the way down to sealed kick panels for easy, dirt-free entry and exit, very smooth CVT tranny, very responsive steering and handling in all driving conditions, comfortable adjustable seats, AL-alloy wheels, rear view camera, 8.7-inch ground clearance. Mileage of 32 mpg hwy w/AC has also been great for a vehicle of this size and pep.

overall owner's view of Subaru 2014 Touring model Forester
By subieone on 07/17/13 17:31 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is our 2nd foester- we have a 2011 Touring model as well as the new 2014 Touring model ( i vesrsions) The cars are very differant, might as well be made by 2 differant companies , they so unalike- The major differances are improvements to the tranny (now CVT) smoother than the 4 gear jobby of our 2011-- beter gas mileage (3 to 4 miles per gal improvement) We have the A/C on continually , so do not get EPA standard ratings( 24/32 mpg)_pay a penalty of about 4 m/p/g less on average- BUT the improvement of the 2011 Touring model is a average of 3 to 5 m/p/g - __ Interior very roomy- STARK

A disappointment.
By phil_from_cal on 07/17/13 10:45 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

All-weather package is the only feature of touring trim I found worthwhile. Navigation and infotainment systems are half-disabled when the car is moving. The CVT responds well in sport and sport# modes, but it's horrible in the "intelligent". So while the gas mileage is close to specs if I drive in the "intelligent" mode only, those numbers have little relevance in real life. Actual fuel efficiency is a lot worse - I get around 20 mpg on the average. Steering feels a bit artificial. The ride is quiet at constant speed, but gets very noisy with even modest acceleration. The cabin is reasonably comfortable except for an awkwardly positioned arm rest that I keep bumping into with my right elbow

First Subaru
By 14bronz on 07/07/13 15:00 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just bought mt first Subaru this wekend. We were set on the CRV but wanted to at least look at the Forester. Well, we drove it home, done deal. I will come back and post more once we get used to it. So far it seems like an amazing little SUV. A bit of electronic overload setting up the audio, but we have it all figured out now. Good buying experience here with Heuberger Motors in Colorado Springs. 2.5i CVT Touring with mirror and rugged packages for $28,244. Great people to work with.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$131 per month*