2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews 7

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
After much thought...
By paul271 on 09/16/13 09:46 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have been looking at Subaru Foresters for about two years. I loved my 2008 Honda CRV but wanted to go with an AWD. Reading reviews of small SUV's on Edmunds and getting into the cars moved me slowly toward the Forester. My search resulted in three finalists, the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe, Mazda CX-5, and 2014 Forester. All are fine choices but the Forester drove so well and with absolutely amazing visibility. Even though the frame sits up high the car has a low center of gravity and very large windows. With the exception of the high (and safe) back head rests, there is no blind spot. Lots of little details suggest great attention to detail in visible and invisible places.

First Subaru
By atthelake on 08/26/13 14:23 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Overall I am pretty pleased and it feels like it is built well but time will be the true judge. The ride is quiet and I like the CVT where you are always in the right gear - well not literally but its nice to feather the RPMs for just the right power without stepping across gears. After about 1000 miles I pretty much get 24/32 MPG city/hwy and could probably get higher if I kept it below 70MPH on the hwy. The seats were comfortable on a 10 hour trip and the rear camera is a first for me and works well. If you come from a Ford sync system you will find the connectivity less robust and more challenging to set up. See additional suggestions below.

A very satisfying car
By ralphyboy1 on 08/25/13 18:09 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After what seemed like years looking for the right car, I bought the new 2014 Forester for my wife. The Consumer Reports review tipped it for me. We've had it about a month and a half now, with about 3500 miles. All the things said about it are true - good gas mileage, comfortable seats, easy access, nice handling and great visability. As reported, the ride is a little jittery, but it's nothing bothersome. We took it around the Mountain Loop Highway out of Granite Falls, WA. The highway has 25 miles of unpaved, often washer board road, and here the Forester shined. It handled incredibly well and smoothed out the washer boards with a smooth controlled ride. Can't wait for winter.

Good for the money
By kw_co on 08/25/13 07:52 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have the 6 speed manual and got about 30 mpg on the highway with average speed of 75 mph. Put 3500 miles on it in the first two weeks (road trip). Drove down the Pacific Highway (CA 1) and it handled pretty well. It was a little underpowered going up steep hills in the Rockies (had to change down to 4th), but that's not why I bought it, as I will do 99.99% of my driving on the flat. It did OK in San Francisco though, with a lower speed limit in 2nd. It's mainly intended as a runabout which will get me through the odd snow day. It serves that purpose extremely well.

LOVE THIS VEHICLE
By divakeys on 08/21/13 04:32 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have come from 2 new cars in the last 4 years that had have mechanical problems, one being a Honda, so I bought this in hopes of a better exp. (We'll see about reliability, only time will tell) This care is awesome-at first, I was not impressed with how barren the interiors of Subarus are, but now I get it. Give me a great car with an simple design, and that's what I have. I get great gas mileage because I am VERY careful about not "gunning" it...28/32, and I only have 1800 miles on the car. Loads of space, giant moonroof, great visibility. Only quibble is that the armrest/center cubical is small. I look forward to many years with this car!!

My New Subaru Forestor Premium
By deweyhowe on 08/15/13 10:16 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Overall, I am very happy with my new vehicle. However, I am disturbed at the gas mileage I am getting on the highway. When I drive on a two lane road (where I live there are limited expressways) I get 35 mpg over longer distances when driving 60 mph. However, when I do get on an expressway and drive 75 mph my gas mileage drops to 25 mpg. On longer trips this is disturbing since most of my driving tends to be longer trips in terms of overall miles I drive.

Great performance 2.5 liter engine with CVT
By john_in_tc on 08/15/13 06:08 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have only driven 1,000 miles so the engine isn't at peak performance, but I am impressed. I get 28 mpg driving around Traverse City. On two highway trips I got 32 mpg against a wind with the air conditioner on, and 33 on the return on a still day. I was driving at 62 - 64 on two lane roads and 70 - 75 on four lane interstates. When passing on two lane roads the car accelerates from 55 - 85 very quickly. The car is very quiet, and the ride is good for a short wheel base SUV. I find the seats and the driving position very comfortable. The dash displays could be improved. The speedometer is too small, and the information on the display screen is hard to navigate through.

very very disappointed, lost lots of money on purchase
By john674 on 08/14/13 21:30 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought vehicle based on excellent reviews . very disappointed 1.seat front and back very uncomfortable ,got severe back pain, lumbar support too hard on back problem not detected during 15min test drive complain to dealer, other customers also complained no effect 2.poor mileage only 26 on freeway subaru claims 32 MPG 3.light on dials red at night very disturbing on eyes. not easy to change 4.noisy engine hallow noise idling 5. sound quality very poor knobs small. 6. steering heavy 7. problems finding dealerships very important , had to rent car very expensive must consider before buying subaru.had enough of problems so I trade it in at a huge financial loss. careful of excellent reviews.

Nothing I don't like about it
By conbrio on 08/08/13 23:03 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Over this ast few years I've owned an Audi A4, a Prius, a Mini Cooper S, a VW GTI, and a Chevy Cruze Eco. All were good cars but each had characteristics I didn't care for right from day 1. Not the case with my new Forester. I haven't found a single thing I don't like about this car (well okay, I didn't like the wheel rims so I replaced them with some I do like - but that's it). This 2.5i is the bottom of the line Forester, but it has everything I would ever want in a car, including cruise control, which, on other cars I looked at was available only on the upscale models. Oh, by the way, this color, this eggshell metallic white, was a thousand dollar option on my 2000 Audi.

Delightfully Surprised
By dbrothers on 08/07/13 18:49 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have 1,000 miles on it in three weeks and its getting as advertised gas mileage and that's with blasting the air conditioner. CVT is not loud like a lot of people complain about. I owned a Honda CRV for 4 years and the Subaru is quiter, faster and get better gas mileage. The 2014 body style is smooth and I'm actually looking forward to driving it in the snow this winter.