Used 2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Good choice for the next ten years..
By Tom Bavis

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I considered only the wagons I could buy with a manual transmission. Subaru had the most interior space, headroom and legroom. Mazda offers only a 2.0 liter engine, with 2.5 costing much more and only with automatic. VW? Let's just say I've owned VWs before. And AWD standard, a mechanical system with NO electronics (at least with manual transmission).

Radio is decent, dash vents will ALMOST shut off, I even fit behind the wheel without moving the seat all the way back. Not the Subaru I remember (we've owned four). Gas mileage has averaged 28, better than I expected. Engine is smooth and flexible, doesn't lug at low RPMs. Ride could be better, small bumps I never noticed in other cars (even a 2009 Forester) are annoyingly stiff. Color choices weren't the best - red is very subdued, gray interior is hard to keep clean - no black interior with red?

OIl-OIl-OIl
By Jonathan Patchett

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Anyone buying this car should know that it will very likely use large amounts of oil. Subaru know about this, but do not mention it until the customer complains. Then they have an "oil consumption test", where the criteria to pass are ambiguous, but in essence if the car uses 0.33 quarts or less in 1200 miles, or can be argued to be in that ballpark of usage, they will not take any action. That criterion of 0.33 quarts in 1200 miles would leave the owner adding more than 1.5 quarts of oil between oil changes (synthetic oil, 6000 miles). The dealership appears to use any means available to avoid admitting there is a problem.

CAR IS A SCAM
By divakeys

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Second consumption test underway. I've been told that when my oil light came on at 2000 miles into the oil change it was normal to have to put a qt in. Omg what a joke. First and last Subie. Shame too cause I really liked my 2014 Forester. Have lemon law attorney now. Subaru has been settling these cases without going to court in most instances, which I've been told by two separate lemon law attorneys AND a Subie salesman. When I ask about the 2015, they say the problem has been fixed. So if it's normal for me to have to dump oil in every 2 minutes, why was the "problem fixed" in later models?? Check your State's lemon law-in PA the manufacturer has to pay attorney fees as well.

By far the visibility is awesome, and I do believe that the AWD is superior in Subaru.

Subaru has stuck me with a junker, and is making my life miserable trying to get them to fix a known problem. How terribly disappointing and eternally frustrating. You cannot say to get the oil changed every 7500 miles, when it is not possible to reach that without getting the low oil light, then go on to say in another section that it's normal to eat up oil. Just fix it. Shame I have to go the lemon law route. Very nice Subaru. Not sure how the "make the customer have nightmares with our vehicles and have to get an attornery to fix it" marketing plan is working for you, but hey, what do I know. I didnt even know I was supposed to travel with a case of oil in my car, silly me.

Even the rear seats recline
By jacobbz

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I used to be an American vehicles only kind of guy. Not sure what got into me, but I decided I liked this vehicle after looking at it and test driving it.
As I said in the title, they seem to have thought of everything. It is all about the little things, such as something as simple and yet so RARE as reclining rear seats.
The 2.0XT (rally-cross turbo, if memory serves), has a sporty little get-up to it.
Towing is pretty sad at 1500lbs, but I guess there are trade-offs. With Subaru reliability and this smooth drive and CVT with three different "shift modes", I believe it is worth it since I rarely tow, anyway.

Organized engine compartment Oil filter right on top Reliability Reclining rear seats Leather outer parts of cloth seats HUGE sunroof (biggest I have seen) Comes with nice wheels (mine did, anyway) Back glass does not pop and thus does not squeak Turbo

Towing Capacity

DON'T BUY THIS CAR!!!!
By ex_subaru_fan

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I don't believe the rating system is accurately stating how disappointing this car is, based on some of the statements below:

Using Oil ! – but 4 stars?

Oil burner & Subaru does not want to admit problem – but 3 stars?

Do Not Buy – but 2 ½ stars?

Constantly having to check engine oil – but 3 ½ stars?

BURNS OIL & has a slight hesitation – but 2 ½ stars?

Incessant Rattling – 4 stars?

Purchase Was A Mistake – 2 ½ stars?

DISAPPOINTED - TERRIBLE RIDE – 4 stars?

2014 Forester BURNS OIL – 3 stars?

Let me put it succinctly. Subaru thinks it is "normal" for an engine to use 1 quart of oil per 1200 miles. That's insane.

This is my 6th Subaru; I won't own another.

I may only lose 4-5 K on this car when I sell it. That's the only positive I can state.

Fix the oil burning problem instead of denying it. Replace all the blocks in the 2011-2014 Forresters that you have admitted in Technical Service Bulletins have this problem. Be the company you claim to be.