2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

The Excellent 2014 Forester 2.0 XT Touring
By carlogic1

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

The 2014 Forester 2.0XT Touring is one of the nicest small SUV I have owned and could argue the best on the road today. Just finished a 400 mile trip and averaged 30.9 MPG going 60 to over 70 MPH on 93 octane. So far to and from work has been 27MPG. The car is quiet, the Boxer engine is fantastic and very smooth with plenty of power for passing. I did not think I would like the CVT but it is not so bad. The S# mode has good simulated shifts. It is easy to see out of and feels very planted on the road. I am not sure why others are complaining about MPG, I am getting better then EPA. I think people are not paying attention to what mode (I, S, or S#) they are in.

Favorite Features

The Boxer engine and Turbo. The approach lights and dimming on the side mirrors. The highest safety rating of any of the small SUV. The XT Touring is well worth the extra money, has vented disk brakes (Front & rear), much better suspension then the non XT models, higher torque CVT transmission, and the X-Mode for off roading.

Suggested Improvements

Like any car there is always room for improvement. Bring back the front passenger seat height adjustment or better yet make it a power adjust seat. Add alittle more support to the sides on the side. Change the center stack screen, make it bigger. The screen for the backup camera is to small. Offer a blind spot system. Make Keyless start standard not an option. Make the left gate open/close faster takes to long. Offer more color choices for interior. Although it works fine, you really need to get a new navigation unit that is easier to use.

2.0 XT Premium = outstanding
By tiopapo21

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

The 2014 Subaru 2.0 XT Forester Premium is one of the best fuel saving ,fast running,nice styling, All Wheel Drive and most comfortable SUV that I have ever owned. It's 250 HP BOXER ENGINE is quiet and powerful, from the on ramp to the fast lane the 2.0 XT Premium is outstanding. It's CVT Transmission is very smooth and before you realize it you are running at 80 plus MPH. It's wide windows and wide review mirrors helps you merge safely.

Favorite Features

Seats,Room,View,Sunroof,Wide Doors, Smart CVT and 250 HP BOXER ENGINE plus easy ride X-MODE.Also great sounding Stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Should come with On/Off Road Tires.

2014 Forester
By shafferbcs

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

First week - The truck seems excellent.

Favorite Features

The feel of a small SUV.

Lots to like
By mg47

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Over the past 15 years, my family has owned Rav4, Honda CRV, Hyundai Santa Fe, Lexus RX330. This car is the most "friendly" of the bunch. Mileage at 29 for combined city/country. Plenty of power going up our hill at 7400 ft. Love the lack of shifting jerks common in 4 or 5 speed transmissions. Ride is stiff/responsive, but I wouldn't characterize as "jittery" at all. The voice recognition is way below the Lexus or Hyundai and the computer interface is not particularly user-friendly. The eye-sight works very well and is fun to use. Friendliness comes from the keyless lock and ignition system which turns on a light in the rear view mirrors as you approach, and makes it incredibly easy to lock.

Favorite Features

Keyless ignition. Wide moonroof. Handling. Mileage. Visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Better voice recognition. Seat position memory.

New Subarau believer
By gearhead71

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I test drove 30 awd's out there and due to a family balance disorder, the ride requirement was the following: Highway smoothness, near zero body roll, zero cabin pressure (Suv must be vented properly) unlike VW tiguan, and no road vibration through the steering and seats. The 2014 was a clear and easy winner. I have owned the forester for 2 months in the NE winter and this thing proves itself every day of my 70 minute tristate commute. Coming from a BMW x5 I thought I would be unhappy - but this SUV is really a swiss army knife. Insane in the snow/ice - great comfort, a kickin' stereo system. Computer readout of everything + X-Drive! + 27mpg avg + rock solid reliability LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

Symentrical AWD, CVT is really powerful (Who would have thought?) 6 speed - great on the highway. 4 cylinder engine is a powerhouse for a 4 banger - even on the highway. Dash is modern, leather is great - stereo ROCKS, handfree system works better then my old X5, ample leg room for 200+lb guys and plenty of cargo + a spare tire (which is absent from many new SUVs) There is nothing I want for. Nothing I am lacking and anything more would just take more effort to maintain or cost on MPG's. I think subaru's 2014 is a vast improvement over previous years and I think they built the perfect SUV. + The same clearence or height as a jeep this is a beast in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

1 dislike is the small tray in the middle console, I wish it were on a hing or something. It kind of gets in the way. Other then that small issue the SUV is has done nothing but impress me for 2+ months. The touring model shines in the following area's: Performance Comfort Convienence features Room saftey Reliability Size (not too big, not too small) very nimble on the road If there were a zombie apocolipse, I would jump in this car!