2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

MPG much better than estimated
By treeweasel

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We have had our 2014 Forester for a year now and still love it. My wife hated the styling of all Subarus and refused to even test drive one until I tricked her into looking at the new Forester by telling her it was a Mitsubishi. She was pleased with the styling, amazed by how easy it was to drive (it's like driving an awd glass bubble with the turning radius of a jeep) and completely shocked when I informed her that she was in a Subaru. It has performed wonderfully even in the 10 inch snows we got repeatedly last winter and has been a joy to own. On top of that I frequently break 40mpg on trips and overall average 34mpg with 50/50 highway city driving.

The awd while maintaining hybrid levels of fuel economy.

The seats could use some work. Little thigh support leaves you feeling like you are about to slide out of your seat at all times.

16 months 42,000 mile ya I drive a lot
By worldbfree

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Originally fog light out and intermittent cruise. I could take the key out and the car would roll away, gas gauge range not accurate I have run out twice range said 70 miles no low fuel light. Okay so they got the kinks out and I like it. I have a 2012 forester premium and a 2014 premium. I like the gas mileage and find it plenty comfy plenty of pep. I commute over 100 miles a day round trip. I was very disappointed with a lowball $19,200 trade offer when I was having problems with it paid like $26 to $27 I forget a few nice options

Gas mileage, heated seats, smooth comfy peppy. Auto dimming rear view mirror and auto dimming side mirrors with approach lights. I drive at night a lot so I love that feature oh and the moon roof is nice. The dog divider is great plenty of room for my shepherd and doberman.

Initial reliability needs to be there in a new 2014vehicle for this much money. It should not use about 1 qt of oil between 7500 mile oil changes. The remote start -the car should stay on when I open the door. The fuel gauge should work properly the range should be accurate instead of running out of gas twice.

Good power but skeptical about the else
By iizqueue

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This SUV has solid power train. Would rate it higher if I purchased premium or limited. The power train has little difference from the basic to touring. But extras are definitely not worth $10k. Nav is a joke. Slow response. Hard to see the screen under sun. And no steering information from the vehicle?? Use your phone instead, because that's actually a better nav system. Mpg. You get 30+ mpg only when driving at 50 mph. At 70~75 mph, you get about 24 mpg. Safety. Eyesight doesn't work well when facing sun or in the dark. So it doesn't help when the driver really needs some help. Also extremely sensitive gas pedal, and extremely insensitive brake pedal.

In 2014, this SUV does not have auto-lock. Seriously? Safety in a crash accident is important. But it is equally important to think about other safe issues. Like thefts in parking lots. Or easiness of controls. This car has too sensitive gas pedal when compared with other cars. On the other hand, you have to step on the brake pedal very deep to stop this car.

Do Not Buy
By roryc

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I am writing this because I read reviews like this for 2 months before I purchased my 2014 Forester XT. Day one the car was delivered with screw in the tire, tire had to be ordered. Week 2 Stress crack in windshield. Long cranks or multiple cranks to start car. Shim was inserted by Subaru. Car now misfires with no solution available. The last time at the Bob Moore Subaru I was told to come pick up my car, because we can't repair it. Subaru wanted me to pay $4500 more to exchange the car for an identical model. Serious problems with this model!!

Fun car to Drive when it runs correctly!

Sell cars that are ready for market, and stand behind your brand. The company thinks it is okay for you to drive a car that is not working properly, because you have an extended warranty.

Great SUV with Good MPG
By ehrendog

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Drive Car West Coast , Canada. Great car in Snow/Ice. SAFETY....Only SUV that passes the off-set Crash test...and that alone is enough to buy this car after my recent ( non fault) Subaru write off crash. Great Mileage! I get 32 us mpg on highway(over Mountain passes) and 34 us mpg on flat highways ; 25 us mpg in City...so I don't know why the Lead foot drivers complain of "poor" mileage.I had a CRV & Nissan and this car is superior....and I would buy this SUV again and again.

I am 6' 3" and this SUV fits with head room & good leg room, unlike the CRV which cramped my Legs. Safe Car. Quiet on Roads. Good Cargo Space for my Dogs. Great Mileage! Good visibility. Best Value in SUV buy when I shopped...that is why their Forester Sales are up 20% and again best rated SUV on the Market( no I am not a Subaru employee).

Larger Screen for Radio,etc. Display