2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
My favorite of all vehichles
By smlease on 12/30/13 08:02 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned BMW (325i), Mercedes (C230), VW (Jetta, Convertible Beetle) Dodge Stratus and my college vehicle Chevy Chevette. I was looking at trading in my Mercedes for Lexus but since Lexus was closed, I drove by Subaru (Plano, TX) and thought I would take a look. I work in Electronics and have learned that Japanese take great pride in quality, so I while I had checked out every major car mfg, I was am so glad I walked into the lot. The only one they had left was a blue 2014. I love the sunroof, makes it fun, but with the upgraded wood added, I also feel like driving luxury vehicle. 9 months and I love this vehicle!

First Subaru
By linksmasgrybas on 12/29/13 07:52 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I am 6'2" and fit perfectly, something that is hard to find. My wife bought a Volvo SUV and I find getting in and out of the Subaru easier that doing the same in the Volvo. The comfort level is exceptional, especially since I drive anywhere from 150-200 miles a day. My mileage is also exceptional for this car, but the problem I do not like about it the fact that I have to use premium. Sort of cuts down on the savings of the better mileage. The care handles like a dream, has every bell and whistle you can get, which I am not used to yet, but will be shortly.

Best of the small crossovers I've tried
By misprof on 12/28/13 13:40 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am 6'5" and my wife is 5'3" and we wanted something that we could adjust to both be able to drive comfortably. We tried a Forester last year, but the visibility was nowhere near as good and the interior seemed very cheap. The 2014 is a huge improvement. I don't have to adjust the seat all the way back even with my 35" inseam legs. Visibility is much better due to the larger windows all around and the relatively straight roof line, unlike a lot of the competitors. After about 400 miles I am getting about 29 MPG of mostly highway driving. Overall I like the look and functionality. It isn't flashy, but is the most comfortable and practical of the crossovers out there.

So far So Good
By triumphdriver on 12/27/13 08:56 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

For the most part this is a great car. It has nearly the same amount of room as my previous Izuzu Axiom that got only 22MPG at best. Mechanically, seems very good after 2 months and 2900 miles and the overall design is excellent. Why go away from soft cloth seat material. (don't like leather) Designed for wear not comfort? They're scratchy like burlap. The better half loves support they provide but she puts plush towel down first. Stereo amazingly poor- and audio levels differ by mode. Ride is great on tarmac but teeth rattling on concrete above 45 mph. It just can't adjust fast enough to slight bumps- big bumps are fine though. It's tiring on long trips.

Some issues
By muttley36 on 12/24/13 22:27 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I like this vehicle a lot, when the weather is warm. I started having issues at about 1,200 miles. When the weather is cold, is chugs, almost like the engine is missing, but there are no engine lights and the tach doesn't show any problems. Transmission? Doesn't seem to change even after the vehicle warms up. When the weather is not cold, runs great. Took it in to dealer but they think I'm just not used to CVT. Downshift seems to drag a bit. Gas mileage is good.

SERIOUS WORD OF WARNING REGARDING FORESTER
By gedmage1 on 12/16/13 12:08 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Take my word for it, the VERY worst thing about this vehicle, at least in SW Ohio, is: YOU CANNOT GET ONE. Kid wrecked my car (2006 Escape) 3 weeks ago. Immediately went to a Subaru dealer to look (first time owner), the dealer had 12-20 on the lot, every color, option, etc. Went back 8 days later ready to buy: There were ZERO on the lot, 5 in the back fresh off the truck, couldn't buy those cause they were already sold. At another dealer: Stopped because we were in the area. He had three: One in showroom, one new on lot, one 4000 mile demonstrator on lot. We were there 1/2 hr., while there: He sold the one in showroom and new on lot. BEWARE!

Great little car
By john_in_tc on 12/14/13 18:04 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We have owned our Forester for a little over three months and put on about 3,500 miles. I thought I would try and give some insights that might not be apparent on a one hour test drive.

Outstanding Subaru for 2014!!
By jaacolumbusnc on 12/12/13 13:17 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

On 1 November 2013, I purchased the 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited. I traded in a 2014 Honda Accord EXL. The purchase was made at Vic Bailey Imports, Spartanburg, SC. The trade was made in order to move to a vehicle with the CVT transmission, to acquire a more comfortable ride and get a higher passenger seat for my wife, better gas mileage and standard all wheel drive. The Forester provides all these attributes. I added the following options: auto dim mirror compass, body side molding, rear bumper cover and splash guards. It is the perfect vehicle for us and as it turns out, it is the Motor Trend 2014 SUV of the Year. Subaru got it right!

Gas Guzzler
By phyllie on 12/07/13 12:07 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love most aspects of the 2014 Subaru Forester but one of the key elements which influenced my decision to purchase this vehicle was the advertised 8.3 liter per 100 km gas mileage. Currently, I am averaging 13.6 liters per 100 km or 16 mpg. city driving. Not impressed and will put a For Sale sign on this vehicle if this hasn't improved significantly in the next 6 months.

Fun Forester
By galaxysun on 11/22/13 19:54 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Three weeks ago I bought a 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD with 4cyl CVT. So far I have driven this SUV for about 1100 miles and I am very happy with it. Love the comfort of the ride. I like the way it handles the road, pickup, braking and wet weather. Turning radius is great and road handling was excellent in highway. The view from drivers seat is great. So far my mileage is hovering around 25mpg highway and 21mpg in city. I expect it to give 27mpg combined and 32mpg highway as stated by Subaru once I put on more miles. I live in Chicago area and expect it to handle very well in snow. I will write another review after driving my Forester in winter.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$121 per month*