2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Happy with my Forester
By yooperblue

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It's really hard to review this car without context of having driven its competitors. To me it's a very nice vehicle but I'm not sure how it stacks up against other CUVs. I'll try to address the major topics. After 3900 miles it doesn't burn oil. MPG as advertised but drops with ambient temperature and speed over 65 mph. I can drive a long way without getting lower back pain so I consider this comfortable. Adequate storage where I can put a coffee in the center holder and water in the door (32 oz!). Storage under cargo area for ratchet straps and wife's purse. Disappointed with stiff ride at first but used to it now. Radio data system intuitive and sound quality adequate.

Favorite Features

MPG very good and getting better although part of that is due to warmer weather. I'm currently getting 27 mpg on this tank of gas, all city driving. Have gotten 32 mpg highway. Great visibility, turning radius, traction from slippery intersection. Can't wait to put on snow tires. Steering controls for radio and cruise very useable. Display is small but high on dash which is nice because you just look down a bit when checking radio station, mileage, etc. . .Controls built into key which puts a lot of control into a small package.

Suggested Improvements

Lock doors automatically when put into drive.

Overrated
By advrider2

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Probably the worst car I have owned because competition has made big improvements and this Subaru lags behind now. Foresters were never modern but they had personality. The 2014 does not. I bought a Premium 2.5i because that's a limit I am willing to pay for a Forester. Any more and I can buy a Highlander or a 4runner. Ride is ok but bouncy and jittery on bad roads. Steering has poor feedback and handling is scary at 80mph+. Holding the steering wheel feels like driving an economy $12k car. Just poor quality plastics - I advise to get the leather wrapped steering wheel as an option. In 20 deg weather (dry) I could not roll down windows and first opening doors.

Favorite Features

- This car is very simple in a good way. Easy to get in and out of, has great visibility and a large sunroof. Good around town, easy to manouver - Low key design. No one will noticed you got a new car. - CVT is actually really good. Very responsive and efficient.

Suggested Improvements

- SEATS! replace the current chairs with larger, more comfortable seats - place the USB where it's easy to reach - needs better seals around windows/doors. In freezing weather, you can't roll down windows. - x-mode should be standard or at least put in a switch to lock it in awd 50/50. CVT is 100% front with rear kicking in 'when needed' so no better than competitors. - make dark interior color options. Who's idea was it to put super light fabric in a suv? - it would be great if seats folded into a flat cargo area. Currently, it's hard to load larger items. - interior plastics scratch easily. This car will look abused in few years = poor resale value.

Constantly having to check engine oil
By john749

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Ok. we do drive a lot of miles(33,000) in 1 year. We have car serviced every 5000 miles at our local Subaru dealer with Subaru products. Each time of service I buy 2 extra quarts of oil this will keep it full until next service.I have complained they(dealer) tell me it's normal consumption.No leaks. It does drive and ride well just a pain to keep up with the engine oil.We bought this car brand new and we don't abuse it.This is info for anyone thinking of buying the 14 forester 2.5.We buy a new car every 3 years not sure if we'll buy another Subaru.

Suggested Improvements

Fix Oil Consumption!

BURNS OIL & has a slight hesitation
By coni_k_2014

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a new 2014 Subaru Forester in July of 2013. All work has been done at Maita Subaru of Sacramento I use the Synthetic 0-20 weight oil, Maita has performed all oil changes. I drive a lot so from July to now I have put 28000 miles on my car. Maita said that this engine burns oil and I should have to add about a quart between oil changes. They said that its the engine and its design so it gets better gas mileage. So now I have to bring back in every 1200 miles to check and see if it is burning more than usual, NOT a Happy Subaru owner!!

Favorite Features

Nothing! Not happy with my purchase at all at this time.

Suggested Improvements

Recall that engine, I know people that use the same type of oil and their cars don't burn oil. Engine designed to burn oil to save a little gas?? That is ridiculous. FIX it and make your customers happy.

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)
By d_a_r

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought the car (2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)) on July 2013 after a lot of research and I am overall pleased. Acceleration is great in "S" mode but uses a lot of gas - average is 22.5mpg after 10,700 miles. Exterior design and 18" powder coated wheels are standout in the crowd of small size SUVs.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive was a blast during last snowy winter in Chicago area, 18" wheels, audio system, eyeglasses box, center console extendable arm rest.

Suggested Improvements

CVT annoyingly hesitates when aggressively stomping on gas pedal. Bucket seats feel more like a bench with its flared out sides and unsupportive lumbar. Ride is pretty harsh, and I am yet to find out whether it is tires fault or the combination of stiff suspension and large wheels (or all of the above). Navigation system is located awkwardly low. Navigation system is also not recessed, so I cannot see anything at all on the sunny day.