Used 2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Great car but a real rattle trap!!
By james pavoldi

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

If you are sensitive to rattles coming from the dash...do not buy because the rattle will drive you nuts!

No Problems With This One!
By Brian

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I've seen some complaints about the forester burning out, but I've had my for 21,000 miles and two years and never had a problem with oil burning. Overall seems to be a good car for the money. I will update this if there are any changes. Also, I'm a bigger guy at 6' to 6'1'' and around 200 pounds and the car has plenty of room for me.

Trading it in for a honda or Acura- lemons
By Nicole V

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

As almost all other reviews have mentioned this has a major oil issues (deeper rooted in what I believe to be a major engine design flaw). What makes the engine and oil issues worse is that the Subaru dealer I service the car at has the worse mechanics I have ever seen. Adding Synthetic oil and doing synthetic oil changes this often points to a much larger engine issue- which Subaru is ignoring completely. I will be trading in after only 2 years which I never do (my last 2 hondas went for a combined 358000 miles - so I really drive my cars) From about 3000 miles on I was in every 4 months telling them the car would not turn over correctly. The service center would make up some silly excuse like Use Only Ethanol gases or try different oil brands- when really they were clueless. When finally the engine light went on they still had no idea how to fix this. They told me the oil looked bad and it was my fault- car is only 2 years old and they ended up with over $1700 in engine work (covered by warranty) but for a car only 2 years old- look out that is a lemon! Subaru's are a scam, if you want a rugged long term car go with a Honda.

Oil Addict
By Jeffrey Muskett

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Normal engines don't burn oil at 6,000 miles. My oil light comes on between every oil change. Subaru won't admit there is a problem.

Basically a good car with a few faults
By Simon Levinson

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had this car since new for over two years. The 2014 Forester has outstanding visibility and an excellent CVT that delivers great gas mileage. I'm 6'2" and I find the driver's position very comfortable. The cargo capacity is adequate for my needs (e.g. putting 8 ft long lumber in the interior for my woodworking projects).

Two serious faults: the ride is incredibly rough, especially over the poorly paved streets of Denver. Riding on residential streets feels like being pummeled by a boxer! My wife had a back operation and couldn't ride in the car for months! I haven't used it off road, but I worry that the ride will render it unusable. The second problem is a non-functional Bluetooth that will not connect reliably with my iPhone6 (nor did it with a previous iPhone4). Since my iPhone6 connects just fine with other car Bluetooth systems, this is clearly Subaru's problem, much as they denied it.

A more minor annoyance is the terrible instrumentation, which uses three separate and different format displays for fuel levels, consumption, audio system status, etc....very distracting and with lots o' useless information, such as driven wheel status, antilock activation (you can feel this, after all!), and several different displays for fuel rate consumption...overall, a very distracting and potentially dangerous system. On the other hand, there is no temperature gauge, just a blue idiot light that goes out when the engine warms up.

This is the 7th Subaru that I've owned since 1981, and I generally kept them until they wear out (or were totaled by my kids). However, the flaws in this one, mostly the rough ride, has me considering trading it in for a Rav4 or a CRV.