2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews 3

2014 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Lots to like
By mg47 on 02/27/14 13:49 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Over the past 15 years, my family has owned Rav4, Honda CRV, Hyundai Santa Fe, Lexus RX330. This car is the most "friendly" of the bunch. Mileage at 29 for combined city/country. Plenty of power going up our hill at 7400 ft. Love the lack of shifting jerks common in 4 or 5 speed transmissions. Ride is stiff/responsive, but I wouldn't characterize as "jittery" at all. The voice recognition is way below the Lexus or Hyundai and the computer interface is not particularly user-friendly. The eye-sight works very well and is fun to use. Friendliness comes from the keyless lock and ignition system which turns on a light in the rear view mirrors as you approach, and makes it incredibly easy to lock.

New Subarau believer
By gearhead71 on 02/20/14 13:08 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I test drove 30 awd's out there and due to a family balance disorder, the ride requirement was the following: Highway smoothness, near zero body roll, zero cabin pressure (Suv must be vented properly) unlike VW tiguan, and no road vibration through the steering and seats. The 2014 was a clear and easy winner. I have owned the forester for 2 months in the NE winter and this thing proves itself every day of my 70 minute tristate commute. Coming from a BMW x5 I thought I would be unhappy - but this SUV is really a swiss army knife. Insane in the snow/ice - great comfort, a kickin' stereo system. Computer readout of everything + X-Drive! + 27mpg avg + rock solid reliability LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

First subaru
By fannibal on 02/09/14 07:27 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've had my car for 2 weeks and I absolutely love it! It is definitely a practical buy, so people looking for prestige/performance should look elsewhere. mpg is great, I am getting 28-30 in the first few hundred miles, even though I am mostly in 20-30mph traffic during most of my commute. I recently drove through a major snowstorm in the northeast and this thing performed wonderfully!

DISAPPOINTED - TERRIBLE RIDE
By theadman95 on 02/06/14 16:40 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've driven a 2006 Forester until now which I loved, but unfortunately hit a deer (great crash test results, however!) This one has some pros: roomy, great views, love the CVT, peppy, nice radio, but: This car has the worst ride of any vehicle I've ever driven. I don't know how they passed this new suspension. If you have back problems or kidney problems, this is not your vehicle. You will feel every tiny bump in the road. Other reviewers have called the ride 'skittish', 'unsettled', 'jittery', 'tiresome and annoying'. I agree with all of those. It is a very hard ride, very jarring - constantly bumping and jostling, while at the same time rocking side to side. It's a shame because

2014 Forester BURNS OIL
By doug on 01/31/14 17:08 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a new 2014 Subaru Forester in March of 2013. Have followed all maintenance procedures per the manual. All work done at Saint J Subaru in St. Johnsbury, Vermont. 7K service completed at dealer. at 10,000 display said oil required...1 quart added. Same thing agin at 12,600 miles. Told dealer at next service, 14,300. Said bring back in 1200 miles to check. Did that and found it burned 8 ounces. Subaru will replace rings at 10.67 ounces useage. Called Subaru and they refused to do anything even though I have bought 4 Subarus.

Fuel Performance
By rb211 on 01/24/14 19:37 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased in October. Was getting 29 mpg on average. The cold weather began in mid December and mileage waned. Now January, Polar Vortex in PA, and the mileage is down to no better than 21. Takes quite a while to warm up...that's ok, I have heated seats. Defrost is ok, but it is just fogged windows I have to cope with - not the frost many of you spoke of. But I turn on the defrost or the heater and in auto, the air conditioner compressor is engaged to regulate the set temp. Can't turn it off. RPM goes up 500. OAT is 8 degrees. Don't need AC, just bring in outside air. Not smart engineering there. Is it because of the CVT, Mr. Engineer? Love the car otherwise.

5,000 Mile Update
By fandango on 01/16/14 14:08 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Now that I've had my Forester long enough to be well acquainted, I thought I would leave an update. So far I'm impressed with the overall performance, ride, quality and features. I'm averaging just over 30mpg in 80/20 highway driving and I am quite impressed by the performance of the CVT transmission -- and I was always a manual transmission driver before this. It's no sports car (like my old Impreza), but it is generally comfortable, smooth-riding, relatively quiet and it handles pretty well for the SUV that it is. It's an excellent family-sized vehicle and a great value.

The Best Car I Have Owned!
By erichaight on 01/13/14 21:13 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'll be honest in saying that this is first new car I have owned and the most luxurious, but I have ridden in nicer cars owned by others. I have owned a Subaru previously (1987 GL 3-door hatchback, 4-speed manual). I just sold it last year, but I have been longing to own a newer Subaru for many years. For the price, this car is unbeatable!

NOT A COLD WEATHER CAR!
By tamricks on 01/12/14 18:28 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this car in August. I had a 2010 Forester and loved it. When the new Foresters came out with the improved gas mileage, I bought one. I absolutely loved this car until November when winter hit. Mine won't defrost the windows or the windshield wipers properly. It doesn't heat up the interior of the car. The power windows freeze, and the cool engine light comes on after letting the car warm up and driving it for several miles. Due to the engine running so cold, my gas mileage has almost cut in half during these cold winter months. I have 7000 miles on it, but living in the North, can't keep it. I'm extremely disappointed.

Good, but not excellent. Nav isn't........
By coddar on 01/09/14 09:10 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Picked up a 2014 FXT Touring in November 2013. Comfort is average but could be improved with power passenger seat. Gas mileage is a little better than my 2011 BMW 335xi 6MT, but only by 1-2 mpg- so around 22 city, 27 hwy. Big problem is 1990's navigation system that was delivered with Q3 2012 maps while Q1 2013 maps were already availble from the Subaru website - for $149!!!. Maps can't be downloaded to Macs, only PCs and require SD card reader. Subaru said they'd reimburse me for the maps, but really? Why should a vehicle produced in 10/2013 have Q3 2012 maps? Why can't the dealer keep current SD cards and why on earth would anyone pay Subaru and the wait? Can't wait to dump this hog.