2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

16 months 42,000 mile ya I drive a lot
By worldbfree

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Originally fog light out and intermittent cruise. I could take the key out and the car would roll away, gas gauge range not accurate I have run out twice range said 70 miles no low fuel light. Okay so they got the kinks out and I like it. I have a 2012 forester premium and a 2014 premium. I like the gas mileage and find it plenty comfy plenty of pep. I commute over 100 miles a day round trip. I was very disappointed with a lowball $19,200 trade offer when I was having problems with it paid like $26 to $27 I forget a few nice options

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, heated seats, smooth comfy peppy. Auto dimming rear view mirror and auto dimming side mirrors with approach lights. I drive at night a lot so I love that feature oh and the moon roof is nice. The dog divider is great plenty of room for my shepherd and doberman.

Suggested Improvements

Initial reliability needs to be there in a new 2014vehicle for this much money. It should not use about 1 qt of oil between 7500 mile oil changes. The remote start -the car should stay on when I open the door. The fuel gauge should work properly the range should be accurate instead of running out of gas twice.

Happy with my Forester
By yooperblue

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It's really hard to review this car without context of having driven its competitors. To me it's a very nice vehicle but I'm not sure how it stacks up against other CUVs. I'll try to address the major topics. After 3900 miles it doesn't burn oil. MPG as advertised but drops with ambient temperature and speed over 65 mph. I can drive a long way without getting lower back pain so I consider this comfortable. Adequate storage where I can put a coffee in the center holder and water in the door (32 oz!). Storage under cargo area for ratchet straps and wife's purse. Disappointed with stiff ride at first but used to it now. Radio data system intuitive and sound quality adequate.

Favorite Features

MPG very good and getting better although part of that is due to warmer weather. I'm currently getting 27 mpg on this tank of gas, all city driving. Have gotten 32 mpg highway. Great visibility, turning radius, traction from slippery intersection. Can't wait to put on snow tires. Steering controls for radio and cruise very useable. Display is small but high on dash which is nice because you just look down a bit when checking radio station, mileage, etc. . .Controls built into key which puts a lot of control into a small package.

Suggested Improvements

Lock doors automatically when put into drive.

Excellent!
By fannibal

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Safety, visibility, AWD and transmission. These are 4 things which aren't very sexy, but oh my goodness do I love them! Safety features are things which I rely on the IIHS and NHTSA to tell me if they are good or not. The visibility and transmission for this car is amazing. I commend the company for not going for sacrificing practicality in the name of design. The windows improves my mood so much! I absolutely love driving this car and being able to see the sky and everything around me! The transmission is also extremely responsive. The AWD is also awesome! performed wonderfully last winter.

Favorite Features

I absolutely love the CVT. CVT is very responsive, and it seems to switch in ~200rpm intervals. I get ~ 34-35mpg when I drive around 65mph for extended periods of time. This is amazing mpg for a car that isnt hybrid and doesn't have a particularly advanced engine. The HD radio is nice too, but toggles in and out of HD mode too often.

Suggested Improvements

interior design looks like a car from the late 90s. I know a lot of people(my wife included) who would never buy this car because it just looks plain old too ugly inside and out. If you can overlook the aesthetic failings, the practical parts of the car are top notch.

Safety, quality, great AWD and fun to drive
By k_in_austin

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased certified used 2014 Limited 6 months ago. MPG has solidly averaged 26mpg and on road trips I get 30-33mpg if I stay under 70. Prior Car: 2004 Volvo XC 70 The Subaru had everything that is important to me - safety, visibility, quality, AWD, quiet ride, passenger space and few extras I wanted--awesome sunroof, heated seats, fog lights. I am impressed with the handling. Problems with competitors included awful cabin noise (RAV-4, CR-V, Equinox), cheap components (Compass, Equinox, CX-5), higher price for same features/quality (Escape, Volvo), terrible visibility (Venza), extra charge for AWD or 4WD that isn't as refined as Subaru, poor mpg (Volvo). Forester had it all.

Favorite Features

Bottom line for me was dedicated AWD that has the kinks worked out, safety upgrades for 2014 model (structural ones), super visibility (what is the deal with huge blind spots from pillars?) and fairly quiet ride (hate road noise). Since purchase I also like the handling for a car this tall (takes the curves almost as well as our little sporty sedan), sensible locations for gadgets, plugs and cup holders, amazing seat heaters that get almost too warm, love the huge sunroof. Decent room for three backseat passengers, good legroom. Seats fold down very easily. Good mpg for car size, even with passengers and luggage on road trips, getting in low 30's.

Suggested Improvements

Seats kind of hard, mediocre quality leather (I got a good deal on this Ltd, but don't upgrade to the leather by choice), gas pedal too far to the right and the bulkhead curves towards the driver's leg so it makes my foot have to sit at an angle which is annoying but I've gotten used to it. My Ltd also came with the auto trunk lift which I can take or leave. It is kind of annoying when you put a bike rack on, I can't just lift it an inch to pop the hooks underneath. Bluetooth interface is reliable and has a uninspired voice activation but it works, this could be more modern.

Love the 4X4 drive, not the rest
By Rosalie Brunel

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

the seller's repeated sale's line was "This car loves winter, you will really feel the difference in winter" and I do... the driving is awesome... except: i now cannot refuel because the latch to open the tank is frozen in ice! I now had to drive the car to an indoor garage and pray that tonight it will work. Not so impressive for a car that "loves" winter. The windshield also cracked about a month after I got it... I never had a windshield crack and have always driven in the same conditions. Again, unimpressed. Little gadgets also started to give way inside the car. Already I've been to the garage for oil leakage (the car had 2,000kms then)... My car is still under 6,000 kms!!