2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

CAR IS A SCAM
By divakeys

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Second consumption test underway. I've been told that when my oil light came on at 2000 miles into the oil change it was normal to have to put a qt in. Omg what a joke. First and last Subie. Shame too cause I really liked my 2014 Forester. Have lemon law attorney now. Subaru has been settling these cases without going to court in most instances, which I've been told by two separate lemon law attorneys AND a Subie salesman. When I ask about the 2015, they say the problem has been fixed. So if it's normal for me to have to dump oil in every 2 minutes, why was the "problem fixed" in later models?? Check your State's lemon law-in PA the manufacturer has to pay attorney fees as well.

By far the visibility is awesome, and I do believe that the AWD is superior in Subaru.

Subaru has stuck me with a junker, and is making my life miserable trying to get them to fix a known problem. How terribly disappointing and eternally frustrating. You cannot say to get the oil changed every 7500 miles, when it is not possible to reach that without getting the low oil light, then go on to say in another section that it's normal to eat up oil. Just fix it. Shame I have to go the lemon law route. Very nice Subaru. Not sure how the "make the customer have nightmares with our vehicles and have to get an attornery to fix it" marketing plan is working for you, but hey, what do I know. I didnt even know I was supposed to travel with a case of oil in my car, silly me.

Even the rear seats recline
By jacobbz

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I used to be an American vehicles only kind of guy. Not sure what got into me, but I decided I liked this vehicle after looking at it and test driving it. As I said in the title, they seem to have thought of everything. It is all about the little things, such as something as simple and yet so RARE as reclining rear seats. The 2.0XT (rally-cross turbo, if memory serves), has a sporty little get-up to it. Towing is pretty sad at 1500lbs, but I guess there are trade-offs. With Subaru reliability and this smooth drive and CVT with three different "shift modes", I believe it is worth it since I rarely tow, anyway.

Organized engine compartment Oil filter right on top Reliability Reclining rear seats Leather outer parts of cloth seats HUGE sunroof (biggest I have seen) Comes with nice wheels (mine did, anyway) Back glass does not pop and thus does not squeak Turbo

Towing Capacity

DON'T BUY THIS CAR!!!!
By ex_subaru_fan

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I don't believe the rating system is accurately stating how disappointing this car is, based on some of the statements below: Using Oil ! but 4 stars? Oil burner & Subaru does not want to admit problem but 3 stars? Do Not Buy but 2 stars? Constantly having to check engine oil but 3 stars? BURNS OIL & has a slight hesitation but 2 stars? Incessant Rattling 4 stars? Purchase Was A Mistake 2 stars? DISAPPOINTED - TERRIBLE RIDE 4 stars? 2014 Forester BURNS OIL 3 stars? Let me put it succinctly. Subaru thinks it is "normal" for an engine to use 1 quart of oil per 1200 miles. That's insane. This is my 6th Subaru; I won't own another.

I may only lose 4-5 K on this car when I sell it. That's the only positive I can state.

Fix the oil burning problem instead of denying it. Replace all the blocks in the 2011-2014 Forresters that you have admitted in Technical Service Bulletins have this problem. Be the company you claim to be.

Using Oil !
By vablue1

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Disappointed with purchase of new Subaru 2014 Forester. I have had this car only 1 year, purchasing from local dealer. The vehicle is using oil between oil changes as other consumers note. The last occurrence was returning from out of town in the rain after midnight - light comes on - we are miles from anything open to purchase a quart of oil. Finally get to a 24/7 station, check oil - it is almost below oil stick!!!! This is 2,000 miles before the vehicle is due for another oil change!!!!!!!! Quite annoyed. Will see what Subaru does to correct this problem. So sorry I did not keep my Honda Odyssey Van, mileage 230,000, which never had oil burning issues, even with high mileage.

Reliable in snow and ice. Fuel efficient (avg 26 mpg). Love large moon roof.

Fix oil consumption problem. Irritating rattle on dashboard. Left speaker crackles. Hesitation in acceleration on occasion.

Love the 4X4 drive, not the rest
By Rosalie Brunel

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

the seller's repeated sale's line was "This car loves winter, you will really feel the difference in winter" and I do... the driving is awesome... except: i now cannot refuel because the latch to open the tank is frozen in ice! I now had to drive the car to an indoor garage and pray that tonight it will work. Not so impressive for a car that "loves" winter. The windshield also cracked about a month after I got it... I never had a windshield crack and have always driven in the same conditions. Again, unimpressed. Little gadgets also started to give way inside the car. Already I've been to the garage for oil leakage (the car had 2,000kms then)... My car is still under 6,000 kms!!