Used 2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Great Model Year, Great Car
By David M.

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought a used 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited from Lithia Reno Subaru in Reno, NV. My wife and I drove all the way from the Bay Area to snatch it up, and the ride was well worth it! The car is fantastic, everything you could want from a Forester and then some...the snowy ride through Tahoe on I-80 was cake compared to our experience with the small rental we drove up to the dealership; on the other end of the spectrum, a winding drive through Death Valley was also met without issue.

Why the 2014 Forester? This is the first model year with CVT, which greatly increases fuel economy. And because it is slightly older, you can get more car for your $...we were originally looking at lower-end trims, but are glad we went with the Limited; the leather seats won't stain as easily as the fabric, which was a concern as we usually have coffee in the car and are a bit on the clumsy side. If you find a well-maintained 2014 Forester with reasonable mileage, it should feel as good as new, because it practically is!

Forester 2014
By John

Love my Forester!
By Lisa

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I upgraded from a 2002 Honda Odyssey to a 2014 Forester. My husband, who is 6'6", says he feels he has more room in the Subaru than he did in the van. I have a 2 year old son, and live in Northern Ohio, so do lots of driving in bad weather. I feel safe and confident in my Subaru's ability to hold the road and not slide in icy conditions. Did I mention, it gets amazing gas mileage? Also, the cabin of the car is nice and quiet for when my son is napping, but has a great sound system for when I am driving by myself. On a more superficial note, the redesign looks amazing and it is truly a beautiful car. Mine is a white pearl color, which is just gorgeous in the sunlight. All in all, I love my Forester, and would highly recommend it, particularly as a family car.

Another oil Burner
By Huy Ngo

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Doing my second oil consumption test this week. Down a quart after 3200 miles. I'm frustrated that Subaru finds it acceptable for a car to use a quart every 3600 miles. (1/3 qt every 1200 mi.) when the recommended oil change frequency is 7500 mi. And why do some foresters not use oil and others do? That is a quality control problem. Subaru has become way popular in the last several years and must have ramped up production. Maybe they need to funnel some extra resources into QC and not just spit out an inconsistent product.

Great in the ice and snow
By Yankovich

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This is my second Subaru Forester (my 2013 forester with 24k miles got totaled after someone ran into the back of me). I noticed the oil consumption issue on my 2013 forester, it would go thru a quart of oil every 5,000 miles. I switched to 5W20 and it solved the problem (still a pain). My 2014 does not burn any oil at all and I use the recommended 0W20 full synthetic. The big selling point for me on these cars is how well they drive in the mountains on snow and ice. I don't have a scientific way to validate my observation but I drive a lot in the mountains and I can tell you that compared to my 4WD Honda Element (which I love), the Forester is head and shoulders better when the road conditions deteriorate.