2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Fuel Performance
By rb211 on 01/24/14 19:37 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased in October. Was getting 29 mpg on average. The cold weather began in mid December and mileage waned. Now January, Polar Vortex in PA, and the mileage is down to no better than 21. Takes quite a while to warm up...that's ok, I have heated seats. Defrost is ok, but it is just fogged windows I have to cope with - not the frost many of you spoke of. But I turn on the defrost or the heater and in auto, the air conditioner compressor is engaged to regulate the set temp. Can't turn it off. RPM goes up 500. OAT is 8 degrees. Don't need AC, just bring in outside air. Not smart engineering there. Is it because of the CVT, Mr. Engineer? Love the car otherwise.

5,000 Mile Update
By fandango on 01/16/14 14:08 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Now that I've had my Forester long enough to be well acquainted, I thought I would leave an update. So far I'm impressed with the overall performance, ride, quality and features. I'm averaging just over 30mpg in 80/20 highway driving and I am quite impressed by the performance of the CVT transmission -- and I was always a manual transmission driver before this. It's no sports car (like my old Impreza), but it is generally comfortable, smooth-riding, relatively quiet and it handles pretty well for the SUV that it is. It's an excellent family-sized vehicle and a great value.

The Best Car I Have Owned!
By erichaight on 01/13/14 21:13 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'll be honest in saying that this is first new car I have owned and the most luxurious, but I have ridden in nicer cars owned by others. I have owned a Subaru previously (1987 GL 3-door hatchback, 4-speed manual). I just sold it last year, but I have been longing to own a newer Subaru for many years. For the price, this car is unbeatable!

NOT A COLD WEATHER CAR!
By tamricks on 01/12/14 18:28 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this car in August. I had a 2010 Forester and loved it. When the new Foresters came out with the improved gas mileage, I bought one. I absolutely loved this car until November when winter hit. Mine won't defrost the windows or the windshield wipers properly. It doesn't heat up the interior of the car. The power windows freeze, and the cool engine light comes on after letting the car warm up and driving it for several miles. Due to the engine running so cold, my gas mileage has almost cut in half during these cold winter months. I have 7000 miles on it, but living in the North, can't keep it. I'm extremely disappointed.

Good, but not excellent. Nav isn't........
By coddar on 01/09/14 09:10 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Picked up a 2014 FXT Touring in November 2013. Comfort is average but could be improved with power passenger seat. Gas mileage is a little better than my 2011 BMW 335xi 6MT, but only by 1-2 mpg- so around 22 city, 27 hwy. Big problem is 1990's navigation system that was delivered with Q3 2012 maps while Q1 2013 maps were already availble from the Subaru website - for $149!!!. Maps can't be downloaded to Macs, only PCs and require SD card reader. Subaru said they'd reimburse me for the maps, but really? Why should a vehicle produced in 10/2013 have Q3 2012 maps? Why can't the dealer keep current SD cards and why on earth would anyone pay Subaru and the wait? Can't wait to dump this hog.

Not happy
By dhc4 on 01/07/14 19:26 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have owned this Subaru (my first) for just three months and am baffled by all the wonderful reviews. The gas mileage is nowhere near what was advertised. Its ride is rough and bumpy on anything other than totally smooth roads. The car has so many interior rattles and clunking noises that it's impossible to enjoy a quiet drive through the countryside. Today, with typical cold winter temps, my driver's side door didn't open easily, the windshield wipers were still totally frozen after the defroster was running for a full 20 minutes and none of the power windows would open, even after another 20 minutes of driving with the heat at full blast. Am I supposed to wait until April for them to open?

2.0XT Touring is a high quality jem
By autotimer on 01/01/14 21:08 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I have owned this car for two months. It is really fun to drive. I drove the2.5i Limited first but when I drove the 2.0 XT I fell in love with it. I have sacrificed gas mileage but the smooth power and increased handling capabilities sold me. Then the dealer offered me a trade in price for my car I could not pass up. I had a Mazda CX5 which was a good car but my wife had problems getting in that car and its visibility was not great. The Forester solved those problems. There is a solid high quality feeling with the Forester. Each day I drive this car I feel the refinement of its build.

Love this new model but MPG not as advertised
By blny on 12/30/13 12:23 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 3rd Subaru, but first Forester. Never bought before because it was too small. I am 6' tall, not huge, but this is the first Forester model I feel comfortable both in front and back. My teenage boys are very comfy in the backseat, and they are my height. My only complaint is the gas mileage. I get 20-21 mpg when the local EPA MPG is 24. That's a big difference, and I am not driving like a leadfoot ! I ease off on gas and coast to stop signs and red lights, and that's the only way I got close to 21mpg. My much larger outback gets about 19-20 locally, so only a 1 mpg improvement with a smaller Subaru.

Very well designed and reliable, but some poor MPGs
By rickallen on 12/30/13 12:21 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I leased a 2014 2.5i Touring with Eyesight back in October and have now driven it 3,000+ miles, 2000 on a road trip. It's my 2nd Subaru, and I'm impressed by the amount of boxes they can tick for interior space, design, capability, etc. I'm a 6'4" guy so space and comfort are big points for me. My only complaint with this and our last Subaru (same powertrain, 2.5 w CVT) is the MPG. Both of my Subarus were rated at 24/32. Our Legacy came in at 26 average across the 32,000 miles we drove it last year. Thus far with the Forester we're at 23. On the highway going the speed limit, I'm not able to break 27 with either car. Going below 60 is the only way which is dangerous for me and others

My favorite of all vehichles
By smlease on 12/30/13 08:02 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned BMW (325i), Mercedes (C230), VW (Jetta, Convertible Beetle) Dodge Stratus and my college vehicle Chevy Chevette. I was looking at trading in my Mercedes for Lexus but since Lexus was closed, I drove by Subaru (Plano, TX) and thought I would take a look. I work in Electronics and have learned that Japanese take great pride in quality, so I while I had checked out every major car mfg, I was am so glad I walked into the lot. The only one they had left was a blue 2014. I love the sunroof, makes it fun, but with the upgraded wood added, I also feel like driving luxury vehicle. 9 months and I love this vehicle!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$121 per month*