2014 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)
By d_a_r on 04/10/14 10:29 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought the car (2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)) on July 2013 after a lot of research and I am overall pleased. Acceleration is great in "S" mode but uses a lot of gas - average is 22.5mpg after 10,700 miles. Exterior design and 18" powder coated wheels are standout in the crowd of small size SUVs.

Apri 9-2014
By htrivedi on 04/09/14 12:02 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought this car on 3/21/14 after a lot of research and I am little bit disappointed. The ride is annoying what I mean by this is when you drive on an intelligent mode, you feel every bump or uneven surfaces. When you start the car, engine shakes so does my left feet. I have a back problem and this is not good for my back. Seat is not big for comfort. I hope I better get use to this or I might have to sell this car. Driving in "S" mode is ok but uses lot of gas. I might have to do second review after 5k miles...still confused about this car. Please rent this car for 1 week and then buy. I highly recommend.

Very good, with only minor compaints
By jerrylevy on 04/07/14 13:06 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Very spacious for its size, and very comfortable front seats with good leg room in the back and very pleased with gas mileage. Not a bad long distance driving car and four people will be very comfortable for a six hour drive.

Incessant Rattling
By cjseals1 on 03/31/14 08:31 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have almost 4000 miles on my Forester Limited and from the day I brought it home the dashboard rattles and vibrates. I thought it was related to cold weather, but as the weather warms up it rattles worse. I have taken it into the dealership three times already and they tinker, pad and tighten with no improvement. I want to love this vehicle but it has eaten up and continues to eat up time and money in that I have to take off work and take it back to the dealer, only to have no improvement. The rattle seems to move but mainly in the vent or inside the odometer or MFD. Seems to be the whole dash. I am very disappointed. High rpms when accelerating, cheap carpet. Touchy gas pedal.

Purchase Was A Mistake
By eja6 on 03/20/14 10:42 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After 13,700 miles on my 2014 2.5i Premium with CVT, I have decided my purchase was a big mistake. I kept trying to "get used to" the annoying characteristics of this drivetrain, which include an overly sensitive pedal response, producing a constant "rubber band effect" in city traffic and over revving on the road when passing. I have grown to hate it so much I am avoiding driving it. The gutless engine makes a lot of noise when pushed, but noise does not make it go fast. Additionally, the CVT bucked and jumped when cold for the first 5,000 or so miles of use, and the dealer had no explanation or fix. Not the worst car I have bought, it's close.

The Excellent 2014 Forester 2.0 XT Touring
By carlogic1 on 03/15/14 12:42 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

The 2014 Forester 2.0XT Touring is one of the nicest small SUV I have owned and could argue the best on the road today. Just finished a 400 mile trip and averaged 30.9 MPG going 60 to over 70 MPH on 93 octane. So far to and from work has been 27MPG. The car is quiet, the Boxer engine is fantastic and very smooth with plenty of power for passing. I did not think I would like the CVT but it is not so bad. The S# mode has good simulated shifts. It is easy to see out of and feels very planted on the road. I am not sure why others are complaining about MPG, I am getting better then EPA. I think people are not paying attention to what mode (I, S, or S#) they are in.

2.0 XT Premium = outstanding
By tiopapo21 on 03/07/14 21:45 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

The 2014 Subaru 2.0 XT Forester Premium is one of the best fuel saving ,fast running,nice styling, All Wheel Drive and most comfortable SUV that I have ever owned. It's 250 HP BOXER ENGINE is quiet and powerful, from the on ramp to the fast lane the 2.0 XT Premium is outstanding. It's CVT Transmission is very smooth and before you realize it you are running at 80 plus MPH. It's wide windows and wide review mirrors helps you merge safely.

2014 Forester
By shafferbcs on 03/03/14 07:46 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

First week - The truck seems excellent.

Lots to like
By mg47 on 02/27/14 13:49 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Over the past 15 years, my family has owned Rav4, Honda CRV, Hyundai Santa Fe, Lexus RX330. This car is the most "friendly" of the bunch. Mileage at 29 for combined city/country. Plenty of power going up our hill at 7400 ft. Love the lack of shifting jerks common in 4 or 5 speed transmissions. Ride is stiff/responsive, but I wouldn't characterize as "jittery" at all. The voice recognition is way below the Lexus or Hyundai and the computer interface is not particularly user-friendly. The eye-sight works very well and is fun to use. Friendliness comes from the keyless lock and ignition system which turns on a light in the rear view mirrors as you approach, and makes it incredibly easy to lock.

New Subarau believer
By gearhead71 on 02/20/14 13:08 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I test drove 30 awd's out there and due to a family balance disorder, the ride requirement was the following: Highway smoothness, near zero body roll, zero cabin pressure (Suv must be vented properly) unlike VW tiguan, and no road vibration through the steering and seats. The 2014 was a clear and easy winner. I have owned the forester for 2 months in the NE winter and this thing proves itself every day of my 70 minute tristate commute. Coming from a BMW x5 I thought I would be unhappy - but this SUV is really a swiss army knife. Insane in the snow/ice - great comfort, a kickin' stereo system. Computer readout of everything + X-Drive! + 27mpg avg + rock solid reliability LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Subaru Forester Suv in VA is:

$131 per month*