Used 2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Thirsty for oil 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited
By Jessy M.

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited in October of 2013. I'll start with the positives: I'm very impressed with the style (used to look dumpy prior model years), the reasonable gas mileage, the room, the fact that I can easily get in/out of the SUV (I'm short), the leather seating (I have chronic back pain so it helps), the huge moon roof, the lift gate, the safety, AWD handling, the brakes are nice (not super touchy and doesn't pull you forward). The cons so far: the options if it's not standard can be pretty pricey, what comes standard is not always the greatest (Acura per example, would beat out Subaru in that department, specifically the technology dept.), the heat takes awhile to get warm, a lot of trouble starting the car if it's colder than usual (-0), heated seats do not stay heated, sometimes I hear road noise even though windows are all up, not all doors have a light so if you're sitting in the back, it's hard to see where the window button is if you want to roll down the window when it's dark, the driver visor mirror does not have a light (pretty cheap if you ask me!), and most importantly, my car is one of the year/VIN/models affected by oil consumption issues. Recently, my oil light went on, on my way to work. I brought it to the dealership that day since it's under the power train warranty and there is an active lawsuit against Subaru that I was notified about. I was told that my car (2K more miles to the next oil change) lost 1 1/2 quarts of oil (not sure where it went b/c it didn't leak from what I could tell). They changed the oil and replaced a gasket (pretty bad that needed replacement but thankful it was under warranty), and I was told to bring the car back 1200 miles later for another oil consumption test (coming up), do not add oil if the oil light comes up and they will replace the engine if it goes while under the warranty. I haven't had to pay anything out of my own pocket for that yet, knock on wood, but this shouldn't happen to a car that doesn't even have 40K miles on it yet and is Japanese engineered! Subaru really needs to fix this problem! Enough people are affected that they should notice and be proactive!! I'm very disappointed and I don't know if I'll ever get another Subaru! So far, I seem to have better luck with Honda's....

Oil Consumption Issues
By Bryan

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Our Subaru Forester is having reoccurring oil consumption issues – the oil light comes on well before the manufacture recommended oil change interval. We started our first oil consumption test this past spring, coming into our dealership every 1500 miles for a total of 5 times. The test resulted in limited work on our vehicle. Once the final test came and went we were told there was nothing the dealership could do and we were sent on our way.
It’s been a few months and about 3,500 miles since the dealership sent us on our way and the oil light has come on again. So we’ve brought the Forester back to the dealership who is recommending that we start the oil consumption tests over. This is our first Subaru purchase and it’s starting to look like our last because of the amazing inconvenience to my family. It’s difficult for my family to travel to a dealership every 1500 miles to have the oil topped off, and if the dealership/Subaru won’t take steps to fix the root cause we’ll be selling our Forester and moving on to a new brand.

2014 Subaru Forester using oil
By Laura

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Well, thinking about trading my 2014 Forester in for something else...undecided. At 40,000 miles, I am now up to using a quart of oil in about 3000 miles. I've been having some usage, about a 1/2 quart prior, but now up to the quart stage. Terrible! So very disappointing! I had heard such great reviews on this vehicle, and now I have to pay attention to the sound. I can tell when it starts to get low, and stop and get a quart. Keeping a quart with me at all times. I have my class action suit papers here on my desk. I shouldn't even have to read all these sheets of paper, as I paid good money, and still paying! I will fill them out!!!! Now what do I buy in it's place. I did so much research to come to the Subaru conclusion, now I have to start all over!

Dangerous Flaws in an otherwise decent car
By Steve

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I owned a 2014 Forester for nearly 3 years and 36,000 miles. This was my second Forester having liked my 2010 so much, but it's also my last Forester and likely my last Subaru.

The Forester provides a balanced package of performance, utility and price. As car shoppers we should understand the cost benefit analysis and the compromises inherent in every automobile we purchase. For the Forester, in my experience, the benefits include Subaru's AWD system, good safety ratings, relatively good reliability and decent driving dynamics... all at a decent price point. Downsides include poor interior design and fit and finish, noisy highway driving and lousy electronics.

My ownership of the 2014 revealed that this redesigned model comes with something else: terrifying handling in sub-optimal driving conditions.

At highway speeds I found the driving stability lacking, and very noticeably worse than my 2010 model. The car felt top heavy and unsteady when executing lane changes or navigating exit ramps. Also, highway driving in windy conditions or very wet roads was less than confidence inspiring and the car often felt poorly planted. I attributed these handling defects to the taller profile compared to my other Forester.

The first winter I owned the car I was driving on a highway with less than a 1" layer of slush. I am 53 and have driven in winter conditions my whole life and I had my family in the car with me so I was driving even more cautiously than I normally do. Up ahead was a car on the shoulder so I slowly made a change into the left lane and then it happened... the car started to oscillate and the rear end felt like it wanted to come around. It was like driving with no traction at all and I struggled to get the car back under control for what seemed like an eternity... honestly, I am amazed we didn't go off the road. Yes the conditions were not great, but no other car on the road seemed to have problems driving and in all my experience driving I have never had a car handle that way. I attributed the incident to an unwise decision to switch lanes exacerbated by the truly horrible Yokohama OEM tires Subaru puts on these cars. Needless to say I got rid of my nearly new OEM tires and bought a set of top rated Continental True Contacts. The new tires helped the handling a bit, as did a dealer performed alignment, but the car still felt skittish and I again experienced the loose rear end feeling, albeit not as bad as the first time.

Meanwhile I was growing tired of the endless rattles that the dealer could not address, frustrated by the awful Subaru navigation system and bluetooth that could not make outgoing calls and alarmed by the extended warranty issued for excessive oil consumptions (a problem for many Subaru owners, but not for me personally). As I casually started researching cars I found that the handling problems I had were not unique. There are countless cases of the same DANGEROUS handling flaws for the Forester and the mechanically very similar Crosstrek. Just search for "Ghost walking" or "dangerous Forester" or "Forester slush problem", etc. and you won't believe the extent of problems out there. And that's with most people, like me until I researched, thinking they did something wrong to cause the problem. I am now convinced that there is a serious design flaw (not sure if it's the suspension, AWD, chassis design, or some combination of these factors) with these vehicles that can render them an accident waiting to happen. I traded in my Forester (and it has not held its value well... depreciation is much higher than for Subaru's I have owned in the past) for a new Volvo XC60 and couldn't be happier and I feel much safer.

It's a shame really. Subaru makes a decent product and it pains me to write such a scathing review. This Forester has been reliable, yields very good fuel economy, offers lots of second row and cargo space, had great visibility, relatively comfortable seats, and offered good maneuverability. I like my local dealer and have had generally good ownership with my four previous Subarus, but the dangerous aspect of this car has shaken my faith in the brand and I am not likely to ever purchase another Subaru.

No Oil issues with my wife and I after 21k
By Ted T

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Overall I like it for short trips ONLY. I have a 2014 Subaru Forester . I have several issues with it after driving it for 2 -1/2 years. I will try to explain.

1) Around town you may not notice it but on long trips, it becomes very uncomfortable. Here is why: The drivers side door panel causes my knee to cramp up from

hiting the window and door instrument panel that is slanted. This Is totally uncomfortable on trips.
2) The CVT transmission takes many miles of driving go into high gear in the cold weather of winter Gas mileage suffers greatly. 17 mpg city 23 highway--Summer

it is 27mpg city and 32 mpg highway.
3) The wind noise is very bad at highway speeds 60+mph after the Forister reaches 2 years old.
4) in our Limited edition with Power seats, the front seat is too close to the dash. My legs get cramps on long drives.
5) Radio could be better.
6) Rear camera is next to worthless...I can never get use to using it when backing up. I use the side mirrors.. The back up Camera is a waste of money IMO but

you're forced to take it in the limited.
7) A hard ride-you feel every bump

What I Like
1)Great handling
2)Good Passing engine power
3)solid feel
4) Great Gas Milage in the summer only (when the transmission warms up, which can take a long while in the winter)
5 Visibility when driving is Great
6) Great looking Dash and Console.. The gages are Not trimmed with obtrusive shiny chrome that belongs on the wheels and not the dash or Console!
7) The Forister i have found, is the most comfortable vehicle to get in and out of. Once I get in and close the door, it becomes a diffrent story.

This is how I see it folks. I hope Subaru can make some of these improvements on their 2017 models which I plan to look at coming up.
Happy Motoring!