Used 2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Screwed By Suraru
By Ray

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have a 2012 Forester. It drink's oil worse than an old Beater. What kind of freaking car, in this day and age, would you need to ad 5 qts of oil between changes???????? IS THIS ECO FRIENDLY???????

Poor Quality and design
By john e

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased the 2014 Subaru in March of 2013. It was during the first month of sales for the 14 model year. My wife is the one that loved it. I preferred the Honda CRV. My wife got caught up in the outdoors hype that they advertise. The first problem we noticed was that it is not meant for tall people. While there is plenty of head room, the seat bottom is too short and does not give any leg support. We noticed this on our first out of town trip. Shortly thereafter, it became our in-town car. The fit and finish is basic. I am used to Hondas where the fit and finish is excellent. The second issue is oil consumption. I followed all schedules described by Subaru. All Oil changes were done at a Subaru dealership. The oil was changed at 3750, 7500, and 15000 with no problems. At 21,500, the oil light came on. This was 1000 miles before the scheduled oil change. I went to Subaru and paid for an oil change, 1000 miles early. (I asked why it was burning oil (does not leak). They said it was within industry standards for oil consumption. In fact, they said that it was OK to use 1 quart every 1000 miles. If my car did use a quart every 1000 miles, I would be adding 7 quarts before the next oil change. This is considered acceptable by Subaru. My last car was a Honda accord. It was totaled at 176,000 miles and it never used any oil between oil changes. ) On the new window decal, they recommended bringing it back in at 27,500 miles. This was 6000 miles later instead of the original 7500 miles between oil changes. At 26,500 miles, the oil light came on again. This was only 5000 miles since the last oil change. I again paid early for an oil change. They started an oil consumption test. When I got home, I let the car sit for an hour and then checked the oil level. They had overfilled it, probably by about 1/4 of a quart. I could not believe that they would perform a scientific test where the starting point for oil level was not correct. I called Subaru customer support. They agreed to transfer this to a different dealership. The other dealership changed to oil for free and started the test. Once again the oil level was too high. At that point I gave up. Every Oil change I am getting about 1000 fewer miles before the oil light comes on. This is disturbing trend. When I purchase vehicles, I keep them for 10-15 years. I dumped this one at 2 years for a substantial loss. I was just glad to be done with it. The third issue is the AWD design. We had a flat tire which was not repairable. When I went into a local tire shop, they said I needed to replace both tires on the axle where the flat occurred. this was due to the AWD. During one of my dealership visits for the many the Oil consumption issue listed above, the dealership noticed that two of the tires were new. They said I had to replace the older ones with new ones otherwise it would void the warranty and cause damage to the AWD. I cannot believe that Subaru has such poor engineering in their AWD where they require all 4 tires to be replaced at the same time. Word of caution. If you have a flat tire that is not repairable, Subaru thinks it is acceptable to replace all 4 even if the others have good tread. Good luck. I went and bought a CRV. I suggest others do this too.

Ow means winter people lol google it. not weight
By Randal

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Yes in fact the oil recomended for the car is great and the dealer is full of it the 0w 20 means WINTER. That means the oil is better in low temp conditions, the weight is measured by viscosity. And yes i also bought a 2014 lemon that the dealer could have disclosed the oil burning problems of the past and present. But the keep their mouths shut and keep selling subarus. Looks like honda made good on their oil problems and extended warenties so buy a honda i guess or a car from the 90's lolol

A 2014 that burns 2qts between oil changes?! BAD
By Ryan Lestina

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I've had my 2014 for about 20,000 miles now. I love the car, I love it's handling, safety, form factor, and many other facets. It's like a billy goat in the rain and snow, hugs roads like very few other SUVs and gets 32MPG on the highway. But when the low oil light came on several thousand miles short of the recommended service interval, I immediately thought something was wrong. I topped it off and went right to an oil change shop. When they looked at the mileage and heard that it was 1.5 Qt down 2.5K miles short of the recommended interval, they too though something was wrong, and refused to service it. Looks like I need to head to the dealer and start a consumption test.

Burns oil,
By Evan Williams

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Burns oil like crazy. The oil light came on before 3,000 miles after oil change and the problem is getting worse. I have to add oil probably a quart or 2 between oil changes. Might try thicker oil like 5 to see how it fairs because 0-40 is not working. On the bright side the rear viability is very nice compared to other suvs.