2014 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Do Not Buy
By roryc on 07/22/14 16:53 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I am writing this because I read reviews like this for 2 months before I purchased my 2014 Forester XT. Day one the car was delivered with screw in the tire, tire had to be ordered. Week 2 Stress crack in windshield. Long cranks or multiple cranks to start car. Shim was inserted by Subaru. Car now misfires with no solution available. The last time at the Bob Moore Subaru I was told to come pick up my car, because we can't repair it. Subaru wanted me to pay $4500 more to exchange the car for an identical model. Serious problems with this model!!

Great SUV with Good MPG
By ehrendog on 06/25/14 10:24 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Drive Car West Coast , Canada. Great car in Snow/Ice. SAFETY....Only SUV that passes the off-set Crash test...and that alone is enough to buy this car after my recent ( non fault) Subaru write off crash. Great Mileage! I get 32 us mpg on highway(over Mountain passes) and 34 us mpg on flat highways ; 25 us mpg in City...so I don't know why the Lead foot drivers complain of "poor" mileage.I had a CRV & Nissan and this car is superior....and I would buy this SUV again and again.

Most comfortable of the small SUVs
By misprof on 06/13/14 14:24 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I test drove all of the small SUVs on the market and the Forester was far and away the most comfortable for me. I am 6' 5" and 225lbs and none of the other ones had anywhere near as comfortable a driving position. The visibility is great due to the big windows, especially in the back where the competition seems to have all put large pillars in the way. It is quieter than the Highlander that it replaced and I have been getting a combined 27 MPG commuting and as much as 32 on highway travel.

Excellent!
By fannibal on 05/25/14 20:21 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Safety, visibility, AWD and transmission. These are 4 things which aren't very sexy, but oh my goodness do I love them! Safety features are things which I rely on the IIHS and NHTSA to tell me if they are good or not. The visibility and transmission for this car is amazing. I commend the company for not going for sacrificing practicality in the name of design. The windows improves my mood so much! I absolutely love driving this car and being able to see the sky and everything around me! The transmission is also extremely responsive. The AWD is also awesome! performed wonderfully last winter.

Happy with my Forester
By yooperblue on 05/25/14 04:13 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It's really hard to review this car without context of having driven its competitors. To me it's a very nice vehicle but I'm not sure how it stacks up against other CUVs. I'll try to address the major topics. After 3900 miles it doesn't burn oil. MPG as advertised but drops with ambient temperature and speed over 65 mph. I can drive a long way without getting lower back pain so I consider this comfortable. Adequate storage where I can put a coffee in the center holder and water in the door (32 oz!). Storage under cargo area for ratchet straps and wife's purse. Disappointed with stiff ride at first but used to it now. Radio data system intuitive and sound quality adequate.

Overrated
By advrider2 on 05/05/14 00:41 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Probably the worst car I have owned because competition has made big improvements and this Subaru lags behind now. Foresters were never modern but they had personality. The 2014 does not. I bought a Premium 2.5i because that's a limit I am willing to pay for a Forester. Any more and I can buy a Highlander or a 4runner. Ride is ok but bouncy and jittery on bad roads. Steering has poor feedback and handling is scary at 80mph+. Holding the steering wheel feels like driving an economy $12k car. Just poor quality plastics - I advise to get the leather wrapped steering wheel as an option. In 20 deg weather (dry) I could not roll down windows and first opening doors.

Constantly having to check engine oil
By john749 on 04/30/14 05:13 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Ok. we do drive a lot of miles(33,000) in 1 year. We have car serviced every 5000 miles at our local Subaru dealer with Subaru products. Each time of service I buy 2 extra quarts of oil this will keep it full until next service.I have complained they(dealer) tell me it's normal consumption.No leaks. It does drive and ride well just a pain to keep up with the engine oil.We bought this car brand new and we don't abuse it.This is info for anyone thinking of buying the 14 forester 2.5.We buy a new car every 3 years not sure if we'll buy another Subaru.

BURNS OIL & has a slight hesitation
By coni_k_2014 on 04/23/14 08:26 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a new 2014 Subaru Forester in July of 2013. All work has been done at Maita Subaru of Sacramento I use the Synthetic 0-20 weight oil, Maita has performed all oil changes. I drive a lot so from July to now I have put 28000 miles on my car. Maita said that this engine burns oil and I should have to add about a quart between oil changes. They said that its the engine and its design so it gets better gas mileage. So now I have to bring back in every 1200 miles to check and see if it is burning more than usual, NOT a Happy Subaru owner!!

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)
By d_a_r on 04/10/14 10:29 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought the car (2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)) on July 2013 after a lot of research and I am overall pleased. Acceleration is great in "S" mode but uses a lot of gas - average is 22.5mpg after 10,700 miles. Exterior design and 18" powder coated wheels are standout in the crowd of small size SUVs.

Apri 9-2014
By htrivedi on 04/09/14 12:02 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought this car on 3/21/14 after a lot of research and I am little bit disappointed. The ride is annoying what I mean by this is when you drive on an intelligent mode, you feel every bump or uneven surfaces. When you start the car, engine shakes so does my left feet. I have a back problem and this is not good for my back. Seat is not big for comfort. I hope I better get use to this or I might have to sell this car. Driving in "S" mode is ok but uses lot of gas. I might have to do second review after 5k miles...still confused about this car. Please rent this car for 1 week and then buy. I highly recommend.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Subaru Forester Suv in VA is:

$121 per month*