2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Love my Forester!
By Lisa

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I upgraded from a 2002 Honda Odyssey to a 2014 Forester. My husband, who is 6'6", says he feels he has more room in the Subaru than he did in the van. I have a 2 year old son, and live in Northern Ohio, so do lots of driving in bad weather. I feel safe and confident in my Subaru's ability to hold the road and not slide in icy conditions. Did I mention, it gets amazing gas mileage? Also, the cabin of the car is nice and quiet for when my son is napping, but has a great sound system for when I am driving by myself. On a more superficial note, the redesign looks amazing and it is truly a beautiful car. Mine is a white pearl color, which is just gorgeous in the sunlight. All in all, I love my Forester, and would highly recommend it, particularly as a family car.

Another oil Burner
By Huy Ngo

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Doing my second oil consumption test this week. Down a quart after 3200 miles. I'm frustrated that Subaru finds it acceptable for a car to use a quart every 3600 miles. (1/3 qt every 1200 mi.) when the recommended oil change frequency is 7500 mi. And why do some foresters not use oil and others do? That is a quality control problem. Subaru has become way popular in the last several years and must have ramped up production. Maybe they need to funnel some extra resources into QC and not just spit out an inconsistent product.

Great in the ice and snow
By Yankovich

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This is my second Subaru Forester (my 2013 forester with 24k miles got totaled after someone ran into the back of me). I noticed the oil consumption issue on my 2013 forester, it would go thru a quart of oil every 5,000 miles. I switched to 5W20 and it solved the problem (still a pain). My 2014 does not burn any oil at all and I use the recommended 0W20 full synthetic. The big selling point for me on these cars is how well they drive in the mountains on snow and ice. I don't have a scientific way to validate my observation but I drive a lot in the mountains and I can tell you that compared to my 4WD Honda Element (which I love), the Forester is head and shoulders better when the road conditions deteriorate.

Do not buy this vehicle
By michael leclerc

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a 2014 Forester in the end May of 2015 (19,000 miles). After driving for about 1200 miles the low oil light came on. The dealership topped of the oil 4 times before they would do the oil consumption test. After the test they replaced my engine(so they say). After driving the new engine for a week, the low oil light came on. Topped off oil again. Consumption test again tomorrow. 7 months of owning this vehicle and over 20 hours of waiting in the waiting room. I want my 2006 Nissan back!

Wife's ride
By George Reich

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Good car value wise with all wheel drive and safty record - would prefer greater mileage considering 4 cyl manual trans

• SUV