2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Love the 4X4 drive, not the rest
By Rosalie Brunel on 02/26/15 06:53 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

the seller's repeated sale's line was "This car loves winter, you will really feel the difference in winter" and I do... the driving is awesome... except: i now cannot refuel because the latch to open the tank is frozen in ice! I now had to drive the car to an indoor garage and pray that tonight it will work. Not so impressive for a car that "loves" winter. The windshield also cracked about a month after I got it... I never had a windshield crack and have always driven in the same conditions. Again, unimpressed. Little gadgets also started to give way inside the car. Already I've been to the garage for oil leakage (the car had 2,000kms then)... My car is still under 6,000 kms!!

Soft brakes
By Thomas Mikolajewski on 02/21/15 06:10 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought 2014 Subaru Forester in March and found some features below standard. The rubber coated dash is hard to clean and seems to attach lint. The rear hatch does not open when the open button is pressed but has a delay so at first the open button was pressed repeatedly causing some frustration unless you wait until hatch starts to move. The brakes feel soft and the pedal slowly moves when stopped at a light. Need to pump brakes to get pedal up and this causes car to move which is scary when sitting in traffic. Dealer says all Subaru brakes operate this way but this is my first Subaru and I do not remember this problem on previous American or Japanese cars I owned.

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
By groksurf on 01/24/15 20:03 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Lots to like about this vehicle if you do 50-50 street/highway driving and off-road mountain and desert roads of moderate difficulty from time-to-time. I wish it came with all-terrain tires rather than the stock Bridgestones. There are only 2, maybe 3 tires that will fit this vehicle's 18 inch rims with oversized front disk brakes. I've done the research and I think the Yokahama Geolander A-T-S is still the only all-terrain contender that will fit without troubles with the brakes or sidewalls. Gas mileage has averaged 23 mpg with about 70% highway and 30% streets, conservative accelerator and brakes.

Safety, quality, great AWD and fun to drive
By k_in_austin on 11/18/14 08:25 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased certified used 2014 Limited 6 months ago. MPG has solidly averaged 26mpg and on road trips I get 30-33mpg if I stay under 70. Prior Car: 2004 Volvo XC 70 The Subaru had everything that is important to me - safety, visibility, quality, AWD, quiet ride, passenger space and few extras I wanted--awesome sunroof, heated seats, fog lights. I am impressed with the handling. Problems with competitors included awful cabin noise (RAV-4, CR-V, Equinox), cheap components (Compass, Equinox, CX-5), higher price for same features/quality (Escape, Volvo), terrible visibility (Venza), extra charge for AWD or 4WD that isn't as refined as Subaru, poor mpg (Volvo). Forester had it all.

16 months 42,000 mile ya I drive a lot
By worldbfree on 08/15/14 16:32 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Originally fog light out and intermittent cruise. I could take the key out and the car would roll away, gas gauge range not accurate I have run out twice range said 70 miles no low fuel light. Okay so they got the kinks out and I like it. I have a 2012 forester premium and a 2014 premium. I like the gas mileage and find it plenty comfy plenty of pep. I commute over 100 miles a day round trip. I was very disappointed with a lowball $19,200 trade offer when I was having problems with it paid like $26 to $27 I forget a few nice options

Good power but skeptical about the else
By iizqueue on 08/02/14 18:21 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This SUV has solid power train. Would rate it higher if I purchased premium or limited. The power train has little difference from the basic to touring. But extras are definitely not worth $10k. Nav is a joke. Slow response. Hard to see the screen under sun. And no steering information from the vehicle?? Use your phone instead, because that's actually a better nav system. Mpg. You get 30+ mpg only when driving at 50 mph. At 70~75 mph, you get about 24 mpg. Safety. Eyesight doesn't work well when facing sun or in the dark. So it doesn't help when the driver really needs some help. Also extremely sensitive gas pedal, and extremely insensitive brake pedal.

Do Not Buy
By roryc on 07/22/14 16:53 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I am writing this because I read reviews like this for 2 months before I purchased my 2014 Forester XT. Day one the car was delivered with screw in the tire, tire had to be ordered. Week 2 Stress crack in windshield. Long cranks or multiple cranks to start car. Shim was inserted by Subaru. Car now misfires with no solution available. The last time at the Bob Moore Subaru I was told to come pick up my car, because we can't repair it. Subaru wanted me to pay $4500 more to exchange the car for an identical model. Serious problems with this model!!

Great SUV with Good MPG
By ehrendog on 06/25/14 10:24 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Drive Car West Coast , Canada. Great car in Snow/Ice. SAFETY....Only SUV that passes the off-set Crash test...and that alone is enough to buy this car after my recent ( non fault) Subaru write off crash. Great Mileage! I get 32 us mpg on highway(over Mountain passes) and 34 us mpg on flat highways ; 25 us mpg in City...so I don't know why the Lead foot drivers complain of "poor" mileage.I had a CRV & Nissan and this car is superior....and I would buy this SUV again and again.

Most comfortable of the small SUVs
By misprof on 06/13/14 14:24 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I test drove all of the small SUVs on the market and the Forester was far and away the most comfortable for me. I am 6' 5" and 225lbs and none of the other ones had anywhere near as comfortable a driving position. The visibility is great due to the big windows, especially in the back where the competition seems to have all put large pillars in the way. It is quieter than the Highlander that it replaced and I have been getting a combined 27 MPG commuting and as much as 32 on highway travel.

Excellent!
By fannibal on 05/25/14 20:21 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Safety, visibility, AWD and transmission. These are 4 things which aren't very sexy, but oh my goodness do I love them! Safety features are things which I rely on the IIHS and NHTSA to tell me if they are good or not. The visibility and transmission for this car is amazing. I commend the company for not going for sacrificing practicality in the name of design. The windows improves my mood so much! I absolutely love driving this car and being able to see the sky and everything around me! The transmission is also extremely responsive. The AWD is also awesome! performed wonderfully last winter.