2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Very good, with only minor compaints
By jerrylevy

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Very spacious for its size, and very comfortable front seats with good leg room in the back and very pleased with gas mileage. Not a bad long distance driving car and four people will be very comfortable for a six hour drive.

Favorite Features

1. Visibility is excellent! 2. Drivers seat with lumbar support is very comfortable. 3. Good gas mileage. 4. Rear camera for premium models. 5. Lots of storage space compared to my 2005 Outback.

Suggested Improvements

1. No glove box or under hood light. 2. Very unhappy with dim lighting in the cargo compartment. 3. Rattles on the right side of the dash, dealer did not fix it on first try. 4. Wish door locks would open automatically upon turning car off. 5. Vented air can sometimes be hot even if heat is off. 6. Factory floor mats look like cheap aftermarket ones. 7. Could they offer a 3.0 V6 option with 6 speed ( I know, I would be the only one who would buy it). 8. Would like a little more quiet.

2014 Forester BURNS OIL
By doug

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a new 2014 Subaru Forester in March of 2013. Have followed all maintenance procedures per the manual. All work done at Saint J Subaru in St. Johnsbury, Vermont. 7K service completed at dealer. at 10,000 display said oil required...1 quart added. Same thing agin at 12,600 miles. Told dealer at next service, 14,300. Said bring back in 1200 miles to check. Did that and found it burned 8 ounces. Subaru will replace rings at 10.67 ounces useage. Called Subaru and they refused to do anything even though I have bought 4 Subarus.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru knows they have an issue with this engine consuming oil. Instead of getting ahead of the problem and taking care of their customers they choose to refuse to fix their own design fault. Even though I have bought four new Subaru's in the last 8 years they refuse to fix my car. Subaru customer service sucks !!!! So much for brand loyalty. I will wait for light to come on again and take the car to the dealer to let them see actual consumption. I am not satisfied with their test methods.

Good for the money
By kw_co

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have the 6 speed manual and got about 30 mpg on the highway with average speed of 75 mph. Put 3500 miles on it in the first two weeks (road trip). Drove down the Pacific Highway (CA 1) and it handled pretty well. It was a little underpowered going up steep hills in the Rockies (had to change down to 4th), but that's not why I bought it, as I will do 99.99% of my driving on the flat. It did OK in San Francisco though, with a lower speed limit in 2nd. It's mainly intended as a runabout which will get me through the odd snow day. It serves that purpose extremely well.

Favorite Features

Big rear doors so it's easy to get kids in an out of the back. All weather package comes standard on manuals so I got window wiper defrosters. Blue tooth iPhone connection works well. Upgraded to a 7 year, 100K bumper to bumper warranty for $8 extra per month.

Suggested Improvements

Blue tooth Audio can't seem to change between playlists (though I haven't set it up fully yet). 2.5L 4 cyl engine underpowered on steep grades. Have to change down to 4th, but slow going. If you do a lot of mountain driving that will get old fast. Turbo engine may not have this limitation.

Premium Feel With the Premium Price
By 08subaru

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Having test driven the Forester we knew this was a very good vehicle & one that bested our older cars (07 and 08 Impreza) in nearly every way. As the miles have passed both my mom and I have become more & more impressed with these vehicles. The ride is sublime, yet the Forester handles like a car half its size with little pronounced body roll. The quality of the interior is vastly improved with a soft touch dash & no squeaks or rattles. Also, this is a very easy car to drive with an incredible visibility & back up camera. And in spite of being bigger and heavier I'm already averaging better fuel economy then my Impreza. Subaru has clearly made an incredible car, that is why we bought two!

Favorite Features

Subaru still offers a manual transmission on the Forester (6-Speed) Spaciousness Numerous power driver seat adjustments Fuel Economy (I'm already averaging over the stated combined rating) Infotainment System Standard Backup Camera Ipod and Wireless Phone Connectivity Ride/Handling Balance The All-Weather Package is standard equipment on all manually equipped 2.5i Premium Foresters The service and deals we received (both our salesman and finance officer bent over backwards for us and made this a very easy experience) The accessories are more reasonably priced compared to those of my Impreza.

Suggested Improvements

More soft touch materials, for instance applied to the top of the interior door panels. Better stereo (coming from an aftermarket unit using a JVC head-unit and Pioneer speakers and being an audiophile this stereo simple does not cut it for me, but will no doubt satisfy an average music listener) The iPod controls can be a little confusing because you cannot access any of your iPod's playlist or artist ect. through the steering wheel mounted infotainment controls. You have to use the stereo head-unit and even then it is still not that easy to use.