2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Love the 4X4 drive, not the rest
By Rosalie Brunel on 02/26/15 06:53 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

the seller's repeated sale's line was "This car loves winter, you will really feel the difference in winter" and I do... the driving is awesome... except: i now cannot refuel because the latch to open the tank is frozen in ice! I now had to drive the car to an indoor garage and pray that tonight it will work. Not so impressive for a car that "loves" winter. The windshield also cracked about a month after I got it... I never had a windshield crack and have always driven in the same conditions. Again, unimpressed. Little gadgets also started to give way inside the car. Already I've been to the garage for oil leakage (the car had 2,000kms then)... My car is still under 6,000 kms!!

Soft brakes
By Thomas Mikolajewski on 02/21/15 06:10 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought 2014 Subaru Forester in March and found some features below standard. The rubber coated dash is hard to clean and seems to attach lint. The rear hatch does not open when the open button is pressed but has a delay so at first the open button was pressed repeatedly causing some frustration unless you wait until hatch starts to move. The brakes feel soft and the pedal slowly moves when stopped at a light. Need to pump brakes to get pedal up and this causes car to move which is scary when sitting in traffic. Dealer says all Subaru brakes operate this way but this is my first Subaru and I do not remember this problem on previous American or Japanese cars I owned.

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
By groksurf on 01/24/15 20:03 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Lots to like about this vehicle if you do 50-50 street/highway driving and off-road mountain and desert roads of moderate difficulty from time-to-time. I wish it came with all-terrain tires rather than the stock Bridgestones. There are only 2, maybe 3 tires that will fit this vehicle's 18 inch rims with oversized front disk brakes. I've done the research and I think the Yokahama Geolander A-T-S is still the only all-terrain contender that will fit without troubles with the brakes or sidewalls. Gas mileage has averaged 23 mpg with about 70% highway and 30% streets, conservative accelerator and brakes.

Safety, quality, great AWD and fun to drive
By k_in_austin on 11/18/14 08:25 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased certified used 2014 Limited 6 months ago. MPG has solidly averaged 26mpg and on road trips I get 30-33mpg if I stay under 70. Prior Car: 2004 Volvo XC 70 The Subaru had everything that is important to me - safety, visibility, quality, AWD, quiet ride, passenger space and few extras I wanted--awesome sunroof, heated seats, fog lights. I am impressed with the handling. Problems with competitors included awful cabin noise (RAV-4, CR-V, Equinox), cheap components (Compass, Equinox, CX-5), higher price for same features/quality (Escape, Volvo), terrible visibility (Venza), extra charge for AWD or 4WD that isn't as refined as Subaru, poor mpg (Volvo). Forester had it all.

Oil burner & Subaru does not want to admit problem
By rickaus on 10/10/14 19:06 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned 7 subarus now, 2 brought new and my 2012 Forester brought new is a disappointment. Have had all services done with Subaru, it uses excessive amounts of oil, and dealer / Subaru said this was acceptable and did not want to fix it, despite so many people reporting similar problems. In the end after continual protestations on my part, after a year of oil consumption tests (inconvenient) and with me having to be very assertive in articulating my complaint, they eventually have just now replaced the piston rings under warranty, a complete pull down of engine. Just because of the way I have been treated, I would not recommend to buy one.

Why the Subaru is Vermont's State Animal
By catperson9 on 10/07/14 14:54 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this SUV in July 2013 and now have 6,600 miles on it, using it only in summers at our cabin in Vermont and storing it all winter. We average 27 mpg in Green Mountain driving, get up to 31 mpg. The Forester rides and handles well. Alleged noise from engine, CVT and road is actually no problem. Visibility is unparalleled. Cargo capacity is enormous. If anything, the car is a bit too big for my preference; it's truck-sized. But, in a Subaru plus, controls are simple. (We have no nav, since we tend to know where we are, or excessive infotainment nonsense.) Consumer Reports ranked the Forester tops in class, and we can endorse that. I'd buy another.

MPG much better than estimated
By treeweasel on 09/28/14 23:18 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We have had our 2014 Forester for a year now and still love it. My wife hated the styling of all Subarus and refused to even test drive one until I tricked her into looking at the new Forester by telling her it was a Mitsubishi. She was pleased with the styling, amazed by how easy it was to drive (it's like driving an awd glass bubble with the turning radius of a jeep) and completely shocked when I informed her that she was in a Subaru. It has performed wonderfully even in the 10 inch snows we got repeatedly last winter and has been a joy to own. On top of that I frequently break 40mpg on trips and overall average 34mpg with 50/50 highway city driving.

16 months 42,000 mile ya I drive a lot
By worldbfree on 08/15/14 16:32 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Originally fog light out and intermittent cruise. I could take the key out and the car would roll away, gas gauge range not accurate I have run out twice range said 70 miles no low fuel light. Okay so they got the kinks out and I like it. I have a 2012 forester premium and a 2014 premium. I like the gas mileage and find it plenty comfy plenty of pep. I commute over 100 miles a day round trip. I was very disappointed with a lowball $19,200 trade offer when I was having problems with it paid like $26 to $27 I forget a few nice options

Good power but skeptical about the else
By iizqueue on 08/02/14 18:21 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This SUV has solid power train. Would rate it higher if I purchased premium or limited. The power train has little difference from the basic to touring. But extras are definitely not worth $10k. Nav is a joke. Slow response. Hard to see the screen under sun. And no steering information from the vehicle?? Use your phone instead, because that's actually a better nav system. Mpg. You get 30+ mpg only when driving at 50 mph. At 70~75 mph, you get about 24 mpg. Safety. Eyesight doesn't work well when facing sun or in the dark. So it doesn't help when the driver really needs some help. Also extremely sensitive gas pedal, and extremely insensitive brake pedal.

Do Not Buy
By roryc on 07/22/14 16:53 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I am writing this because I read reviews like this for 2 months before I purchased my 2014 Forester XT. Day one the car was delivered with screw in the tire, tire had to be ordered. Week 2 Stress crack in windshield. Long cranks or multiple cranks to start car. Shim was inserted by Subaru. Car now misfires with no solution available. The last time at the Bob Moore Subaru I was told to come pick up my car, because we can't repair it. Subaru wanted me to pay $4500 more to exchange the car for an identical model. Serious problems with this model!!