Subaru Forester 2013: Meh...
By gber on
2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
I purchased my Subaru in Feb, 2013. The Subaru does very well in poor driving conditions - I used it through 3 snowstorms. Get the winter package - heated seats and windows. But in regular conditions, the Subaru disappoints. The engine is geared to punchy in city driving, which I like, but on the highway, the engine is all noise, and little pickup. Once up to speed it is fine. Gas mileage has yet to crack 21mpg in mixed driving. Which brings me to the handling. On city driving it is fine, but at highway speeds, the steering wheel vibration is pronounced - I gather from the forums that this is rather typical for Foresters. Overall, a boring, but competent vehicle.
Favorite Features
Poor driving condition handling is excellent - the vehicle feels so in control, I dare say I drive faster than I should. Ground clearance is awesome - I confidently drive over ice damns and snow that have caused my Jetta to bottom out. Interior space is wonderful too. Flat and boxy - ideal for large cargo. My favorite feature - the visibility through those boxy windows is class leading. I hate the tiny windows other SUVs come with in the name of style. Winter package is well worth it - heated front windows and heated seats. 'Nuff said. Very large panorama roof window. Open it up and you feel like you're in a convertible.
Suggested Improvements
The 4 gear auto transmission is to blame for poor highway acceleration and poor gas mileage (21 mpg so far). The ratio of engine noise to acceleration is poor. The Bluetooth and voice controlled electronics that come standard with the premium model are horrible. After a week, I stopped using it all together. Wind noise at highway s peed is a bit pronounced. The seats could be more comfortable even with all the adjustments that the electronic seats provide.