Used 2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV SUV Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Subaru Forester Oil Consumption
By Andy Stewart

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Subaru Forester - is an oil consuming machine. The dealer and manufacturer do not stand behind their products. So much oil consumption that the catalytic converter will need to be replaced every 50000 miles to the tune of $2000 each time. Subaru has acknowledged the issue but does not stand behind their products. Anyone thinking of purchasing a Subaru should seriously consider another manufacturer.

short people beware
By robinoherin

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2013 forester with about 13,000 miles on it. The car is really spacious, pretty good on gas (average 24.6 mpg, although I can get up to 30 mpg on the highway) and looks beautiful.
I am about 5' tall. But, I can't reach the brake pedal, (it is too high up and I have put two pillows under the floor mat), the seat doesn't go high enough and I need two pillows for that also, the steering wheel is to wide and my hands are cramping up from holding it, I have severe lower back pain, (am now trying an attached back support for the seat), sciatica pain, and cramps and soreness in my feet (from stretching to reach the pedals). In addition, there is no shade darkening on the top of the front windshield, my legs burn up.
So I am updating this a year later. I still have back pain, leg cramps and foot pain and need pillows on the floor and on the seat. I got a special car lumbar support thing and that helps a little. I would never buy another subaru. It doesn't handle well (although snow tires made a big difference), and I am unimpressed with all-wheel drive. I still miss my jeep. I went to trade it in, and was told it is only worth $12,000 now. I tried to return it to Gengras, the dealer in CT I bought it , week after I bought it, and they refused, even though they advertise that they will take back a used car if you aren't happy.
So there are things I like about it, but as soon as I can afford it, I'll get something else...

Basic and awesome.
By curban

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru, and I love it. I was looking for a comfortable and basic SUV that can handle weather, terrain, and carrying bikes, camping gear, whatever.
After 8 months of ownership I'm completely satisfied with the Forester. It's great fun to drive (the base model with manual transmission, I drove the automatic at the dealership and didn't like it), it's hard not to feel happy when you're in it. Handling is solid and it doesn't feel top heavy at all (helps that the Subaru engines are mounted very low to the ground).
In terms of interior comfort I love how spacious the interior is. The controls are a bit plasticky but I like them that way. The seats are quite comfortable.

All wheel drive, spacious interior, visibility, huge cargo room, bluetooth

Improve the audio + speakers. Otherwise no complaints.

You get what you pay for
By vhewitt

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I like a lot of things about this car but a huge problem is the very poor quality of the interior . I have had it 4 weeks and had to buy after market seat covers because the seats are so poorly sewn I thought they would not hold up to normal usage .
My dog stood on the front seat console and his claws put a hole in it . The same dog rode in my Jeep for years , stood on the same thing and it never left a mark let alone made a hole . My keys scratched the plastic , the dog put his feet on the dash and it left a scratch . It's almost impossible to use the car and not damage the interior . My Chevy Truck and Jeep Cherokee have the same usage and no damage . I truly hope it is mechanically sound

Gas mileage

Improve the quality of the interior finishes so the car can be used in a normal without damage