Used 2013 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Subaru Forester Oil Consumption
By Andy Stewart

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Subaru Forester - is an oil consuming machine. The dealer and manufacturer do not stand behind their products. So much oil consumption that the catalytic converter will need to be replaced every 50000 miles to the tune of $2000 each time. Subaru has acknowledged the issue but does not stand behind their products. Anyone thinking of purchasing a Subaru should seriously consider another manufacturer.

Amazing on every level, just not mpg!
By Mark

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This is my first Subaru, I am technically the second owner, the first being my mother, she love it as much as me, and in fact purchased a 2015 Non turbo touring as her replacement. As far as comfort its a great car, driven it in my cross country move from Texas to Pennsylvania. My only complaint about the car is the gas millage and having to use Premium Gas, this is the cars only down fall. I have to drive almost 100 miles a day and she sadly chugs gas like a frat boy chugs beer. No issues mechanically, only a puddle light has gone out. Oil changes lasting as long as they do is a god sent. All in all a great car!

Oil Burner Fixed by Subaru
By B. Addison

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2013 Forester new for my daughter. It consumed oil right from the start. Presently has 55,000 miles and uses one quart every 1300 miles.
Will be taking it to dealer for their assessment. Assuming they give me a runaround, will probably trade it in. Wonder how many other Subarus out there
have a similar problem. So watch out . Will update this if they make it right.

Update: 5/4/2016 Dealer did not give me a runaround. Dealer suggested a 1200 mile oil consumption test. They measured 1.5 quarts used in 1200 miles. This qualified for new short-block which the dealer installed. No cost to me. Currently we are doing our own mileage test to see if the new short-block made any difference. She now has about 600 miles on the new block and I will update this post when we get more miles. The dealership in this case has been extremely helpful and I give Subaru credit for standing behind this problem. Hopefully the short-block solves the problem.

Update: 5/5/2016 Good news. I got a chance to check the oil level on my daughter's car. Since the new short block was installed she has driven 1800 miles. The oil level on the dipstick has gone down 1/4 of an inch from where I first measured it. If this rate of consumption holds, I will consider that the problem has been solved. At this rate she should not have to add oil between oil changes at 4000 miles. And if this rate of consumption holds, my faith in Subaru will have been restored and I would consider buying another one.

Short people need NOT beware..
By C

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm 4 ft 9" , yes you read that right lol. This car is awesome for someone who loves the great outdoors and also need an everyday car. The seats lift up manually on the passenger and drivers seats. The steering wheel is very nice, seats are very comfortable. The inside is spacious, and the auto headlights are very handy. My only regret is how much the dog hair shows on my black seats! Brakes work fantastic, the value is really good. The stereo is basic but still nice. The ride is decently smooth, and the interior noise could also be better, but again overall this car is awesome. I got the 2013 once my 99' forester died and I would absolutely purchase it again!

short people beware
By robinoherin

2013 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2013 forester with about 13,000 miles on it. The car is really spacious, pretty good on gas (average 24.6 mpg, although I can get up to 30 mpg on the highway) and looks beautiful.
I am about 5' tall. But, I can't reach the brake pedal, (it is too high up and I have put two pillows under the floor mat), the seat doesn't go high enough and I need two pillows for that also, the steering wheel is to wide and my hands are cramping up from holding it, I have severe lower back pain, (am now trying an attached back support for the seat), sciatica pain, and cramps and soreness in my feet (from stretching to reach the pedals). In addition, there is no shade darkening on the top of the front windshield, my legs burn up.
So I am updating this a year later. I still have back pain, leg cramps and foot pain and need pillows on the floor and on the seat. I got a special car lumbar support thing and that helps a little. I would never buy another subaru. It doesn't handle well (although snow tires made a big difference), and I am unimpressed with all-wheel drive. I still miss my jeep. I went to trade it in, and was told it is only worth $12,000 now. I tried to return it to Gengras, the dealer in CT I bought it , week after I bought it, and they refused, even though they advertise that they will take back a used car if you aren't happy.
So there are things I like about it, but as soon as I can afford it, I'll get something else...