2013 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
2013 Forester - Practical and Reliable....
By sus77 on 08/07/13 05:10 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2013 Subaru Forester since February 2013 after my 1999 Subaru Legacy quit running. I use non ethanol gasoline and I'm averaging between 27-29.2 MPG since I purchased the car. It has plenty of room and enough acceleration for normal & daily driving. I am still disappointed Subaru does not offer a limited / leather model with a 5 speed transmission. I decided to buy a 2013 over a 2014 because I do not trust the long term drive ability of the new CVT transmission yet!

Great little Subie
By skinnerkid3 on 08/05/13 21:01 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 2013 Forester for about 7 months now and so far, so good. It isn't the fastest, most luxurious, or most tech savvy car on the market, but what it is, is a great all around car. In todays market there are not many CUVs you can run to the store in one minute, and then the next go out in the back country. This is what made this vehicle so impressive to me being a Wyoming native who very well may do both of those activities in the same day. This little crossover is just so well rounded and good at so many things it makes me happy everytime I drive it. The interior does have some cheap materials, and the stock mud guards are terrible, but other than that I'm happy with my foz.

My 2013 Subaru Forester
By willowby on 07/04/13 20:18 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2013 Subaru Forester, so here comes the nit pickin'. I bought this SUV in November of 2012. I hate the gray plastic dyed interior trim inside, looks great until you scratch it. Too expensive to fix or replace! Don't like the silver plastic front grill, there is no touch up paint for it! The inside carpet is fraying around the floor mat, but it's not too bad so far, could use better quality carpet. The ride is not bad, but could be smoother. The Bluetooth doesn't filter out noise very well, when trying to call out! No exterior temp gauge! This vehicle could maybe be 3 inches higher. Keep in mind, these things I mentioned may be improved on the 2014 model!

Subaru Forester 2013: Meh...
By gber on 04/14/13 09:57 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Subaru in Feb, 2013. The Subaru does very well in poor driving conditions - I used it through 3 snowstorms. Get the winter package - heated seats and windows. But in regular conditions, the Subaru disappoints. The engine is geared to punchy in city driving, which I like, but on the highway, the engine is all noise, and little pickup. Once up to speed it is fine. Gas mileage has yet to crack 21mpg in mixed driving. Which brings me to the handling. On city driving it is fine, but at highway speeds, the steering wheel vibration is pronounced - I gather from the forums that this is rather typical for Foresters. Overall, a boring, but competent vehicle.

Basic and awesome.
By curban on 03/24/13 09:03 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru, and I love it. I was looking for a comfortable and basic SUV that can handle weather, terrain, and carrying bikes, camping gear, whatever. After 8 months of ownership I'm completely satisfied with the Forester. It's great fun to drive (the base model with manual transmission, I drove the automatic at the dealership and didn't like it), it's hard not to feel happy when you're in it. Handling is solid and it doesn't feel top heavy at all (helps that the Subaru engines are mounted very low to the ground). In terms of interior comfort I love how spacious the interior is. The controls are a bit plasticky but I like them that way. The seats are quite comfortable.

Great Value
By reddog19 on 03/14/13 10:34 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is our first Subaru. We sold our 2000 Honda CRV, which we loved, and thought the Forester provided the best value among the competition. Initially our best gas mileage was about 22 during a half hour commute, but after our first oil change it rose to 24.5 on the commuting run which is more acceptable. There are no blind spots with this vehicle and it drives great. The AWD is as good, if not better, than my Silverado truck. It scales my steep driveway covered with 4" of snow and ice with ease, something the CRV had trouble doing. It is a nice looking car that we hope will serve us as well as the CRV. The base vehicle with alloy wheel package is a great value compared to the others

Great little car
By sicsniper911 on 02/26/13 13:38 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car new in September of 2012 and thus far it has been a great car. I have nearly 10,000 miles on it already and everyday i still look forward to driving it. It has the 5 speed manual tranny in it and with that it has plenty of get up in go. The cornering on road is great for how big the car is and offroad it is even better. I have plenty of clearance for mild to moderate offroading and plenty of grip as well. Also performs excellent in the snow with no slipping unless i forced the car to do it. Highly recommended to anyone looking to buy.

7th Subaru, 5th Forester
By subiedriver6 on 02/24/13 04:49 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Obviously I am sold on Subaru. This is my 5th Forester and the first I have had with power heated seats and telescopic steering wheel. That makes all the difference in the world in comfort. None of my Subaru cars have given me any problems, and all of the dealerships have been excellent to work with. I appreciate the 7500 mile maintenance schedule and the self contained aspects which require no service at all. 2014 has a better transmission, but I could not pass up the 0% interest rate and great end of model year discounts. Fit and finish seem to be just average, but I have no complaints as I didn't pay a premium price for an Audi, BMW, or Lexus. Great small SUV!

A costly mistake
By ranac on 02/22/13 07:56 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned other subarus and thought I'd try an SUV. Forresters were generally highly rated. I can't speak for prior year models, but I feel like Subaru really cheaped-out on this one. Pro-large cabin, good all around view, no blind spot, huge moon roof. Cons-cheaply appointed interior, leather seat wrinkled first week. the plastic is incredibly cheap, there is even just a piece of black "paper" behind the steering wheel as a dust protectant, not even vinyl. The body is thin guage steel, and you hear every "ping" from road debris. .The radio quality sounds like an old transistor.I am so disappointed, I am actually looking to trade it in, and take a loss....

Nice Car - Seats are extremely uncomfortable - Cause Back Pain!
By jhobes on 01/25/13 07:10 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I recently purchased a Subaru Forester Limited 2013 and it has been really tough on my back since I bought it. Of course, it felt great on the test drive, but now that I am driving it 84 miles per day, it is really causing aches. I try to stretch as much as possible, but this only seems to provide temporary relief. Getting back in to the car starts the cycle all over again. I splurged (out of budget btw) for the 2013 limited because Consumer reports said it was more comfortable to have power leather seats. So far, I have been disappointed. I previously owned a 2000 Lexus ES 300 and the seats were extremely comfortable.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$121 per month*