It's OK
By mgoblue2012 on
2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
I really want to love my Forester. Everyone said that I would. Maybe my expectations were too high. I will note that I am not someone who needs all the bells and whistles, nor wants them. So I figured a Subaru would be great. I will probably not be keeping it when my lease is up. There are good, bad, and a bunch of little annoyances that definitely add up.
Favorite Features
The Good: First off, I LOVE the visibility in the Forester. Good ride height. I also really appreciate the handling. The size is perfect. With the seats down, there is plenty of room. It's the perfect size for my Siberian Husky, he loves it. Yet, it is still a small enough car to park and maneuver in tight spaces. MPG isn't bad for AWD, but I'm not getting anywhere near estimated. Just got back from driving it from Michigan to Colorado and back again and averaged 24mpg. It held up well, though it was struggling on the mountain roads.
Suggested Improvements
Bad:There isn't a lot that's unforgivable about the car, but it's not great. The 4 cyl isn't bad, but paired with the 4 speed transmission, it can struggle. I am bewildered that Subaru is still using a 4 speed, especially when more gears would improve MPG. The seats are god awful for any longer drive, I was more comfortable in my 2000 Mustang. Annoying: First, a lot of the controls can be counter intuitive. Second, most cars when you lock the doors, you can still open the front doors and they will unlock. This doesn't. Also, almost immediately after getting this car brand new, things were rattling, especially the interior roof panel. There's more, but I can't place them right now.