Used 2012 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Lots of room
By azrebel51

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I checked out some other choices before I decided on this car. I am 52, I have bought 11 new vehicles so far in my life.This is great my best so far. Very little road noise, very smooth ride. Doors are solid. Great visibility. Basic stereo sounds very good. The clearance is terrific, great for exploring in rural Arizona, where 4 x 4 is not needed but added clearance is. Seriously this is the most happy I have ever been with a vehicle in my life. My first Subaru, my first Japanese vehicle.

The oil filter is so ridiculously easy to get to, it begs for me to do my own oil changes. The Air Conditioning blows cooler with more power on setting #2 than my 2007 Ford F150 does on setting #4. My gas mileage is 26-28 on highway.

Put the roof slats in all the vehicles standard. Also put in satelite radio.

Stay Away
By james249

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Basically 2 big problems: 1. Hwy mileage is no where near advertised, even when using cruise control. 2. Radio only works when not moving BY DESIGN

RAV4 would've been a HUGE mistake!
By coastie463

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was either looking into buying the Forester or the RAV4, and I'm very glad I went with this car. I drove a RAV4 4CYL as a rental car for a long duration. It had a comfortable ride, got great gas mileage for a small SUV, was well equipped, had good front and rear leg room, and the performance was surprisingly good for a 4CYL engine. Sounds like a great car until you come to the driving dynamics: it's boring. And let's not forget the rear horizontally opening door with the exterior mounted spare tire. I feel like I might accidentally swing the door in to my child's face if I'm not careful. The Forester is everything the RAV4 is plus monumentally better driving dynamics and overall value.

The handling and ride - wow. This small SUV is not only a fantastic car to ride in, it's an even better driver's car. The Bluetooth system (standard on the premium models) is versatile because it can not only be used conventionally to make and receive phone calls, it streams music from your phone. The windshild wiper de-icer comes in handy. The H4 engine is silky smooth, and provides good power in all sorts of driving. This car is also handsome looking and utilitarian at the same time, something that is drastically different from the RAV4. You want to get this thing dirty on a mountain trail, but at the same time, you want to take it to an evening event with friends (if you clean it first!)

While I love this car, there are a two items that need to be improved. First is the transmission. It's completely outdated. My 1998 Corolla had 4 gears, and that was built 14 years ago! Hopefully Subaru is delaying the implementation of a new transmission because the one that comes out is going to be absolutely phenomenal (or so we hope). On the upside, this gearbox is very refined as gear shifts are undetectable, and anything is better than a CVT. Also, this engine makes a great sound at higher RPMs, so less gears is not all bad news. The stereo's treble is, plain and simply, not great. I would suggest buying the Subaru tweeter kit. It's very easy to install and makes a HUGE difference.

My 6th Subaru
By subiedriver6

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 6th Subaru and my 4th Forester. The last one was a 2009 that I put 84K trouble free miles on. The Forester isn't necessarily the best car out there, but it is one of the best to fit all of the necessary categories of AWD, mpg, cost, space, style, and reliability. I have recommended Subaru to my family and friends, and no one has been disappointed. I would like them to update the automatic transmission, but Subaru engines seem to operate better at higher rpm's. The 2012 seats also seem more comfortable than previous years. The maintenance program of 7500 mile oil changes does make a difference in cost of keeping it on the road and trouble free.

AWD, mpg, space, ground clearance

under carriage shields should be standard

Forester disappointment
By mathmom

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2012 Forester SUV has fewer than 6000 miles on it. The transmission has had to be replaced. The fuel lid lever broke. The dealership ruined the seat. The "check engine" light came on... I thought I was buying a dependable vehicle, and I am so disappointed in this car. I will say that the dealership has been pretty good, but as soon as I can get rid of this car without taking a financial bath, I will. No more Subaru vehicles for this family!