2012 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
RAV4 would've been a HUGE mistake!
By coastie463 on 06/11/12 16:40 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was either looking into buying the Forester or the RAV4, and I'm very glad I went with this car. I drove a RAV4 4CYL as a rental car for a long duration. It had a comfortable ride, got great gas mileage for a small SUV, was well equipped, had good front and rear leg room, and the performance was surprisingly good for a 4CYL engine. Sounds like a great car until you come to the driving dynamics: it's boring. And let's not forget the rear horizontally opening door with the exterior mounted spare tire. I feel like I might accidentally swing the door in to my child's face if I'm not careful. The Forester is everything the RAV4 is plus monumentally better driving dynamics and overall value.

My 6th Subaru
By subiedriver6 on 05/21/12 06:39 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 6th Subaru and my 4th Forester. The last one was a 2009 that I put 84K trouble free miles on. The Forester isn't necessarily the best car out there, but it is one of the best to fit all of the necessary categories of AWD, mpg, cost, space, style, and reliability. I have recommended Subaru to my family and friends, and no one has been disappointed. I would like them to update the automatic transmission, but Subaru engines seem to operate better at higher rpm's. The 2012 seats also seem more comfortable than previous years. The maintenance program of 7500 mile oil changes does make a difference in cost of keeping it on the road and trouble free.

Forester disappointment
By mathmom on 05/17/12 05:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2012 Forester SUV has fewer than 6000 miles on it. The transmission has had to be replaced. The fuel lid lever broke. The dealership ruined the seat. The "check engine" light came on... I thought I was buying a dependable vehicle, and I am so disappointed in this car. I will say that the dealership has been pretty good, but as soon as I can get rid of this car without taking a financial bath, I will. No more Subaru vehicles for this family!

A lot of car for the money
By methuselah38 on 04/22/12 14:53 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

As the title says, considering the cost of the vehicle, I'm very pleased. My mileage is always above 31MPG (rural driving & warm weather). I'm surprised by this - but happy of course. Despite what the EPA says, I'm convinced that a gentle driver gets much better mileage with a manual transmission. The car handles like a sports car which is amazing considering its high ground clearance. The ride is quite firm but not uncomfortable. The high sitting position gives the driver wonderful 360 degree visibility. Negligible blind areas. Some road and wind noise which I don't find bothersome.

good value in its class
By health on 04/19/12 13:44 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Large sun roof, alot of features for the money, gas milage has exceeded expectation. 5 speed is fun to drive.

A Fine SUV Choice
By mr_ruez on 04/09/12 12:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When it comes to finding a small AWD wagon with a sunroof and manual transmission, there are only two choices. One is the Jeep Patriot, but that car had some quality control issues that I'm not sure were overcome, plus it looks like a toaster on wheels. The Forester fits the bill - not too fancy, not too plain, just right! There is plenty of room for full sized people. The black fabric on the seats and doors has subtle copper colored accents that add a nice look. You get easy entry and exit due to the large doors and seat height. Once behind the wheel it drives sporty with very few blind spots, and the huge sunroof brings in the great outdoors!

Lasted 36 miles
By buccaroooo on 04/03/12 09:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After having issues with my Legacy (transmission, AC, tire pressure gage, vibrations, etc) I somehow decided it was a good idea to get another Subaru. We leased a Forester, drove it roughly 35 miles and the starter, alternator, battery died. Brand new Forester, dead as a doornail. Jumping, charging... nothing but clicks which means the starter is DEAD. Leased it Saturday, now it's a Wednesday and we still have no new car... we have a small little rental car. BEWARE of Subaru, this is 2 for 2 with troubled cars... Be your own judge but just know that we have had nothing but issues with the two cars we got. We will NEVER buy another again.

Second Forester is a Charm
By majort on 03/28/12 23:57 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just traded my 05 Forester 2.5X auto for a 2012 2.5X Premium and what a great, positive improvement. The low entry of the 05 was difficult for me but the new one's higher stance, bigger doors and higher (power) seat make entry/exit much easier for this senior driver. The power seat provides a variety of very comfortable positions. Love the all weather package; up here in Alaska the heated seats, side mirrors and windshield wipers make 6 months of winter a little easier to take. I appreciate the framed windows after the 05's frameless mess. Much quieter and tighter feeling all around. Very happy choice.

Bought a Premium and it's PREMIUM
By worldbfree on 02/27/12 19:03 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We love it. I checked out Santa Fe and Tuscon but chose this. Comfortable, smooth, plenty of pep. What do you need? First Subaru. I drove it two days on my over 100 mile commute round trip and got 27 mpg while it is new not broke in yet. I just bought it for my wife. $24,800 premium, added remote start, fog lights, all-weather mats, cargo tray, dog divider and bumper cover.

2012 subura forester
By sewkraz on 02/19/12 05:12 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

drives well and is comfortable. what is not nice is the high pitched wind noise coming from the roof with the wind that sound s like your heat is on full blast above your head. The suv whines on acceleration.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$109 per month*