Used 2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X SUV Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Best car ever!
By CG

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car. Love the size, the safety and the look of this Forester. Value is off the charts, its never broken down and has always served my family well. Out of the 3 SUVs in our family, it's everyone's favorite...even though our other SUVs are newer. When the weather hits, we know our Suby will get us there safely.

Love my Subaru!
By Cheryl

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

“Oil leak both cams and chang (sic) cover”
By Jean Young

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

“Oil leak both cams and chang (sic) cover” noted by the Subaru technician on Wednesday. My 2012 Subaru Forester has been using huge and excessive amounts of oil since its purchase. First, I was told that it was part of the “break - in period. Under no circumstances should a new car or even one with just over 65,000 miles like mine that has been babied and maintained only by the dealer present such major engine issues. This is my second Subaru and it will be my last. The first one, a 2003 Forester, though far from perfect, had over 150,000 miles before needing a new head gasket after exhibiting irregular oil use. This one has clocked with irregular oil usage since its purchase.

Great value, decent mileage
By hdlarkin

2012 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Forester replaced a 2006 Mazda5 plagued with rear suspension problems. Tempted by the 33 mpg claim, I looked at the new Escape, but couldn't find real-world mileage reports and, in August, dealers were asking $25K+ for 2WD. I found a 5-speed Forester for $18.5K, and bought it. The 27 mpg estimate didn't thrill me, but it's actually done much better; at 4K up to 31 highway and ~22 city, though highway mileage drops quickly above 65 mph. This is a little better than the Mazda got, plus, with AWD, I can get out of the garage when there's more than 3 inches of snow, which was tough for the Mazda. I had a '96 Outback that held up very well for more than 100K miles, and hope this will as well.

Large, comfortable interior with plenty of back seat leg room for adult children Symetrical AWD sounds like a gimmick, but it really improves handling and slippery surface performance by eliminating torque steer Very solid on bumpy roads, smooth on highway, handles well Carries a lot on top and in back Decent mileage for a car of this size with AWD

Middle back seat belt is difficult to use Could use a cabin air filter -- I never knew how much I liked filters until I again started smelling diesel fumes instantly when behind trucks, and found myself wiping dust off the windshield every few days in this car Radio sounds like something out of a '59 Plymouth

GReat Value - Best AWD design
By pez11

Love my new Forester.
I always wanted an Outback or Forester and finally pulled the trigger in March.
Great handling and performance for a sport utility vehicle.
Interior is a little plain and lacks the extra bells and whistles that come with the competition, but it makes up for that in cargo room, road feel, engine performance, and reliability.
If you are not use to the sound of a boxer engine, it may seem a bit load when the RPMS get above 3500, but this engine produces less vibration and balance.
The AWD system is what stands out above the crowd. This system is designed to perform off road, not just in snow.
Just look on youtube for comparisons on off road performance vs the competition.

AWD design. Exterior looks more 'rugged'. Boxer engine/

Interior materials can scratch easily. Stock radio is poor. Full size spare would be nice especially if you go off road.