2012 Subaru Forester 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2.5X 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
“Oil leak both cams and chang (sic) cover”
By Jean Young on 03/14/15 21:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

“Oil leak both cams and chang (sic) cover” noted by the Subaru technician on Wednesday. My 2012 Subaru Forester has been using huge and excessive amounts of oil since its purchase. First, I was told that it was part of the “break - in period. Under no circumstances should a new car or even one with just over 65,000 miles like mine that has been babied and maintained only by the dealer present such major engine issues. This is my second Subaru and it will be my last. The first one, a 2003 Forester, though far from perfect, had over 150,000 miles before needing a new head gasket after exhibiting irregular oil use. This one has clocked with irregular oil usage since its purchase.

Great value, decent mileage
By hdlarkin on 01/03/13 13:16 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Forester replaced a 2006 Mazda5 plagued with rear suspension problems. Tempted by the 33 mpg claim, I looked at the new Escape, but couldn't find real-world mileage reports and, in August, dealers were asking $25K+ for 2WD. I found a 5-speed Forester for $18.5K, and bought it. The 27 mpg estimate didn't thrill me, but it's actually done much better; at 4K up to 31 highway and ~22 city, though highway mileage drops quickly above 65 mph. This is a little better than the Mazda got, plus, with AWD, I can get out of the garage when there's more than 3 inches of snow, which was tough for the Mazda. I had a '96 Outback that held up very well for more than 100K miles, and hope this will as well.

GReat Value - Best AWD design
By pez11 on 07/20/12 21:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love my new Forester. I always wanted an Outback or Forester and finally pulled the trigger in March. Great handling and performance for a sport utility vehicle. Interior is a little plain and lacks the extra bells and whistles that come with the competition, but it makes up for that in cargo room, road feel, engine performance, and reliability. If you are not use to the sound of a boxer engine, it may seem a bit load when the RPMS get above 3500, but this engine produces less vibration and balance. The AWD system is what stands out above the crowd. This system is designed to perform off road, not just in snow. Just look on youtube for comparisons on off road performance vs the competition.

A lot of car for the money
By methuselah38 on 04/22/12 14:53 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

As the title says, considering the cost of the vehicle, I'm very pleased. My mileage is always above 31MPG (rural driving & warm weather). I'm surprised by this - but happy of course. Despite what the EPA says, I'm convinced that a gentle driver gets much better mileage with a manual transmission. The car handles like a sports car which is amazing considering its high ground clearance. The ride is quite firm but not uncomfortable. The high sitting position gives the driver wonderful 360 degree visibility. Negligible blind areas. Some road and wind noise which I don't find bothersome.