Used 2012 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Best car ever!
By CG

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car. Love the size, the safety and the look of this Forester. Value is off the charts, its never broken down and has always served my family well. Out of the 3 SUVs in our family, it's everyone's favorite...even though our other SUVs are newer. When the weather hits, we know our Suby will get us there safely.

Great Replacement and my first Subaru
By M.P. Lewandowski

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2012 Forester as a replacement for my 2007 Rav 4. The Rave could not get up my driveway in a low snow storm (2-3inches)
My Forester had no problem.
At 50k miles I did however have a problem with oil consumption. I went to my local Subaru dealership who performed and oil consumption test and told be they would have to replace my engine. Since I had a bumper to bumper 100k warranty I was good. The dealership gave me a 2015 Forester to use while engine was replaced.

I have had to troubles since,

Love my Subaru!
By Cheryl

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Air conditioning dilemma
By Lloyd W. LeCureux

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The 2012 Subaru Forester (VIN: JF2SHAEC8CH447905) has been great overall, until this summer. After only 2 and one-half years of ownership the AC stopped functioning! The Subaru dealer (Fred Beans Doylestown, PA) said it was likely the evaporator ($150 to estimate) and could be repaired for $1100. Our home repair shop (Barry Luff's Buckingham, PA) recharged the system including fluorescent dye and could not find a leak, suggesting it was the evaporator. They removed the evaporator, and saw (I have the part) the dye had leaked from within the evaporator fins by a puncture that was in addition to the place where the thermostat probe was placed. The suggestion was that the manufacturer had accidentally placed the additional puncture upon instillation, making a weakness for the leak to eventually occur, causing premature failure of the evaporator. It would be worthwhile to consider if other 2012 Subaru Forester owners have had this problem.

Oil Consumption Issue
By Subanooo

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Car had oil consumption issues at 15k and needed a piston ring job. One dealer was unwilling to do the work. After finding a dealer to do the repair (under warranty) and after numerous consumption tests, the car still had issues. I originally purchased the car to save on maintenance costs and simple design. Pros: good visibility, excellent AWD. Cons: consumes oil, does not get stated mpg, Bluetooth was horrible, FM radio sounded terrible, front passenger seat sits low, interior components are cheap/plastic, paint easily scratched/dulled