2012 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Does the job!
By sciencwriter on 06/09/14 13:26 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I leased it about 2 1/2 years ago and just bought out the lease. It is not beautiful nor is it elegant, but it does the job. I live at the end of a dirt road in Vermont with a daily round-trip commute of about 50 miles. It always starts and it makes it through the deep snow, better than our Toyota 4Runner. Even with my canoe on top, it handles okay--not as well as my old Morgan +4 but that wouldn't have made the grade in Vermont. Runs much better with a little extra air in the tires. All in all, I find it practical, serviceable, and reliable. This is contrary to some of the other reviews but maybe I just got a good one--or they got bad ones.

Starting Issues
By raf1801 on 03/16/14 09:53 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Random starting issues at 5000 miles. Dealership can't duplicate the problem so the issue remains unsolved. Am afraid to drive this vehicle very far anymore.Am afraid of being stranded . Vehicle is also reluctant to start when the temps get below freezing. The owners manual gives instructions how to try to start the vehicle if these random starting issues occur. I wonder sometimes if they knew in advance these problems might occur with this type of vehicle. Therefore the need to put these instructions in the manual.If had known in advance about these problems I never would of bought this car. I'm stuck for now with a car I hate and am afraid to drive very far if it even starts. Buyer beware

Do not buy this car
By starfool on 02/03/14 16:41 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2012 Forester about a year and a half ago. It started to have starting issues about 3 months ago. It won't start right away, sometimes it takes a few tries holding the key for about 10 seconds. I took it to North End Subaru and they tried a few things that didn’t work, and then told me it is normal. I then took it to Prime Subaru. They couldn't find anything wrong but gave me a few tips to try. They didn't work, I called back, they also told me that the problem is normal. It does always start eventually, but it just doesn’t seem normal to me. I have read reviews of people who have had similar problems for both the 2012 & 2013 models.

Intrusive Seat belt chime
By moi12 on 05/12/13 17:03 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my partner's car and they are enjoying it VERY much. However, I'm glad I'm not the one driving it, because of the stupid seat belt chime - see below.....

It's OK
By mgoblue2012 on 03/09/13 09:54 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I really want to love my Forester. Everyone said that I would. Maybe my expectations were too high. I will note that I am not someone who needs all the bells and whistles, nor wants them. So I figured a Subaru would be great. I will probably not be keeping it when my lease is up. There are good, bad, and a bunch of little annoyances that definitely add up.

Dont carry your family in this SUV
By rpanek on 01/04/13 11:48 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Very unstable SUV when you carry more than two people including yourself. Sways on every turn with speed over 50mph like is ready to overturn. Looks like Corporate Subaru of America don't care about safety of car owners and passengers by dismissing open cases about car safety and works with World Government and Banks on decreasing population. Downshift on sudden acceleration (when you try to pass other car on the freeway) goes a way to low making engine reaching 5K rpm. Has very low quality sound system. Interior finishing quality - less than any other car or SUV, need a lot of improvements.

Great value, decent mileage
By hdlarkin on 01/03/13 13:16 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Forester replaced a 2006 Mazda5 plagued with rear suspension problems. Tempted by the 33 mpg claim, I looked at the new Escape, but couldn't find real-world mileage reports and, in August, dealers were asking $25K+ for 2WD. I found a 5-speed Forester for $18.5K, and bought it. The 27 mpg estimate didn't thrill me, but it's actually done much better; at 4K up to 31 highway and ~22 city, though highway mileage drops quickly above 65 mph. This is a little better than the Mazda got, plus, with AWD, I can get out of the garage when there's more than 3 inches of snow, which was tough for the Mazda. I had a '96 Outback that held up very well for more than 100K miles, and hope this will as well.

GReat Value - Best AWD design
By pez11 on 07/20/12 21:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love my new Forester. I always wanted an Outback or Forester and finally pulled the trigger in March. Great handling and performance for a sport utility vehicle. Interior is a little plain and lacks the extra bells and whistles that come with the competition, but it makes up for that in cargo room, road feel, engine performance, and reliability. If you are not use to the sound of a boxer engine, it may seem a bit load when the RPMS get above 3500, but this engine produces less vibration and balance. The AWD system is what stands out above the crowd. This system is designed to perform off road, not just in snow. Just look on youtube for comparisons on off road performance vs the competition.

Lots of room
By azrebel51 on 07/19/12 15:52 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I checked out some other choices before I decided on this car. I am 52, I have bought 11 new vehicles so far in my life.This is great my best so far. Very little road noise, very smooth ride. Doors are solid. Great visibility. Basic stereo sounds very good. The clearance is terrific, great for exploring in rural Arizona, where 4 x 4 is not needed but added clearance is. Seriously this is the most happy I have ever been with a vehicle in my life. My first Subaru, my first Japanese vehicle.

Stay Away
By james249 on 07/06/12 10:37 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Basically 2 big problems: 1. Hwy mileage is no where near advertised, even when using cruise control. 2. Radio only works when not moving BY DESIGN

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$109 per month*