Very noisy engine
By olt1892 on
2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
Replaced a 10-year old Forester with a 2011 Limited. The new Forester engine is actually noiser than the old Forester I am replacing. Power is good when you are just following the traffic flow, not trying to overtake everyone. Bluetooth is a welcome feature. It is easy to pair the phone and program the speed dial. One thing is you must use voice recognition to operate the phone when the car is moving. That is, pressing the speed dial (1,2,...,6) key will not work when the car is moving. take everyone. Bluetooth is standard feature in Limited (also in Premium?)
Favorite Features
bluetooth can play music from a USB stick
Suggested Improvements
Better sound proof the engine. Turn signal either on the side mirror or on the car body. It is a safety feature that is required in many other countries. Auto-lock the doors as soon as the car starts moving. Better gas milage. 5+ speed automatic or CVT.
By fnamowicz
on 12/22/10 08:12 AM (PST)

The noise is not too bad on the inside but on the outside it has a lot of noisy clatter. I don't expect it to sound like a Lexus but it sounds like a cement mixer.

By berserktripon
on 01/03/12 07:27 AM (PST)

"under hard acceleration it begins to roar like a lion" I just want to comment on this comment. Everyone seems to be complaining, but.....I kind of like it! I like an engine I can hear. I have noticed the noise when it starts up when it's cold, but so what....it goes away in 30 seconds. I'm not going to give Subaru and flak over that. Look people, if you want this crazy amount of fit and finish, I'd recommend moving up to the Mercedes GLK, they start at $35k. Wind noise is unacceptable, rattles and squeaks would be unacceptable, but startup noise or engine revving noise under acceleration? C'Mon.

By ss1980
on 12/28/10 21:32 PM (PST)

Subaru actually tweaked the engine for 2011 Forester to reduce noise and vibration, so 2011 should be less noisy than 2010 and earlier models. On the inside, the noise is muted, and only under hard acceleration it begins to roar like a lion. Other than that, it's OK. All Subaru engines are prone to be noisy like a tractor but they somewhat managed that in 2011 Forester.

By erics6
on 08/14/11 16:26 PM (PDT)

My 2011 engine is very loud too. Much louder than my 2005 was. Most noticeable under load from about 2000 rpm and up. Dealer service manager claims this is normal for the new FB engine. I'm very disappointed and this will probably be my last Subaru.

By tvcrider
on 03/18/11 13:00 PM (PDT)

I just test drove a 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited and I did not note excessive engine noise. I guess it's a case of ymmv.

By subie2099
on 01/10/12 11:47 AM (PST)

In my personal opinion, it is loud when it starts up but then it quiets down soon even when it is idling. I have listened particularly to many new SUV's idling and they dont seem that much quieter. But yes I do feel vibrations when my feet is against the bottom front of the body.

By fnamowicz
on 12/22/10 08:12 AM (PST)

By dorel
on 01/25/12 11:14 AM (PST)

2011 Forester 2.5X auto purchased new, currently 9000 miles. On cold days the first start is very noisy for a few seconds; sounds very similar to a spun rod bearing knock. Fuel mileage is also very poor-max 25 to 25.4 hi-way with cruise, 18-22 county suburb (rarely drive in city). Back to dealer 3 times, they say all Foresters are noisy and 25 mpg is normal. My last Subaru got great mileage and the engine was still quite at 200,000. Subaru online customer service listens but has NO power to have anything fixed. I wanted a new Forester for several years and now I really regret buying a product with no customer service.

By bob469
on 09/08/11 17:35 PM (PDT)

My wife purchased the Touring model recently, replacing an older Forester. The engine noise we are experiencing is during start up. According to the dealer, the noise is related to a hydraulic tensioner for the timing chain. They stated the hydraulic pressure must build up for the chain to tighten completely, but it is not causing any damage. Car was sitting at the airport for 2 weeks and made so much noise a passer by asked "isn't that the new Forester" - Yes it is. I plan to have the oil analyzed after the oil change to check for unusual metal concentrations.