2011 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: Subaru Forester 2011 Lemon

2011 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

Subaru Forester 2011 Lemon
By yukon13 on

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I suggest never buying a Subaru. I purchased my first one strictly due to their perceived reputation. The 2011 Forester is poorly built. Body trim pieces have fallen off. Their is piston ring slap and it burns oil like there's no tomorrow. Service at Northtown Auto in Amherst NY actually said that this was normal and that Boxer engines are known for burning oil. After recommended oil changes at 3500 and 7500 miles, I was on my way to my 15000 mile change and the engined developed a low-end knock at 13000. Turns out, nearly all the oil was gone and there's not a single leak. Poor quality engine and manufacturing.

Favorite Features

It's roomy and the AWD is nice in the winter, but I can get that in another vehicle too.

Suggested Improvements

Better manufacturing and higher quality control. If the service manager who told me that all Boxer engines burn oil was correct, then Subaru ought to look into fixing that instead of selling inferior engines.
By jwkruege
on 02/16/15 15:59 PM (PST)

Wish I read this review before I purchased my 2011 Forester this past November 2014. Bought it with 28500, then engine developed a tapping noise 6000 miles later. I checked the oil and was shocked to see it looked dry as a bone. Took it into the dealer and to top off the oil the tech had to add 4 QUARTS as I watched in disbelief. The two class action lawsuits for excessive oil consumption currently pending against Subaru also speak to the fact that this is NOT a "one off" issue as the other commenter stated. There may be good qualities to the engine, but it inherently burns oil and Subaru is simply not admitting there is a design flaw. The service rep at the dealership said she sees A LOT of these issues with 2011-12 Foresters. She recommended a Legacy. I recommend anything but a Subaru. I'm dumping mine soon. Buyer beware.

By eriklando
on 04/26/14 16:07 PM (PDT)

You bought a lemon. It happens with every manufacture. This review goes to show that you are some what limited when it comes to automotive knowledge. The boxer engine is not an inferior motor, it produces a lot of torque with very little effort and also remains light and can be mounted lower in the bay for better distribution and handling capabilities. I would like everyone who may read this that this is a one off issue. I have had 3 Subaru vehicles, a wrx, a legacy, and now a forester. None of them have ever burned oil or had piston slap or motor issues at all, the forester is new but the other two vehicles saw well into the 200k mile range before having a single issue. The 2011 forester non turbo auto is still a fun car, more capable in off road situations then any other small SUV in its class. Nothing can compete with Subaru AWD and quality in my opinion. I feel bad for your experience but buying a lemon does not give you the right to turn people away from the entire manufacture. Lemons happen. I bought my Subaru because i know i was buying comfort an quality.