2011 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: Drove it 50,000 miles, Absolut

2011 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2.5XT Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 4-speed Automatic)

Drove it 50,000 miles, Absolutely Reliable!
By xira1 on

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I just turned in my XT after 3-year lease was up. It never burned a drop of oil between changes and nothing (other than gas door lever) broke. It was 100% reliable through hard use, on and off-road, hauling bikes, kayaks etc. It was truly my trusted friend, and very fun to drive fast on mountain roads because of the precise, communicative steering. The turbo was powerful. Got a very good lease price, and when I turned it in, the car was worth more than the residual value, so I got a $1700 credit toward another vehicle.

Fun to drive, "zippy," very good visibility, absolutely reliable. I like the fact I didn't have to get that awful, annoying keyless ignition that most cars are saddled with now. There is nothing like a plain old KEY for convenience and ease of use; it's cheap to replace and you can hide a spare key on, or in, the car. This car feels best on mountain roads and around town-- and it can get you out of snow and deep ruts very nicely because of the 4WD and great power. But on the freeway it is not at its best because it is a high and light vehicle, and emergency maneuvers at 75 MPH do not feel safe due to rollover possibility.

The 4-speed automatic transmission used in 2011 was jerky in some situations: you have to know how to drive it to reduce that sensation. The steering wheel should telescope more; the drivers door arm rest is set too low for resting your arm on long trips; so is the center console (I added a custom bolster I bought online). Not enough leg room for a very tall driver. Front doors are light-feeling which means less protection from side impact. I had to add a back-supporter set (attached seat and back, steel internal supports, memory foam covering, from Relax the Back) to be comfortable driving on a long trip because the driving position is just not good enough for long time periods.