2011 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: Don't buy this car with automa

2011 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2.5X 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Don't buy this car with automatic transmission
By vladikt on

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am extremely disappointed with the ride quality. I've owed my 2011 Forester for 5 months now and I could never get use to the disgusting clunky transmission. It is unbelievable how in 2011 Subaru still can't supply a nice smooth transmission. Before this Forester I owned Impreza with manual 5 speed and I could shift smoother than Forester with Automatic. Its a joke, it down shifts when it doesn't have to and upshifts when it shouldn't. Like right before the full stop, all of the sudden it upshifts and it feels like it skids. Completely retarded! I was all hyped up when I test drove the car and everything felt perfect.

Exterior and Interior is great and good looking quality. The sound system is pretty good, awesome huge sunroof, I like everything about the looks of the car.

The ride is extremely jerky with all the of availability of CVT transmissions, Subaru has all the options to use it. My wifes base like 19k Nissan Altima has a 6 speed CVT transmission is the ride is 100 times better. What a disappointment!
By mikez8
on 06/07/11 12:50 PM (PDT)

Heh, thats kindof how I feel about ALL automatics. Automatic transmissions just aren't nearly as fun to drive. I'm definitely disappointed that Subaru doesn't offer the 5-speed w/ the XT version. Seems strange as usually the people who want the sportier cars also want a manual transmission.

By vladikt
on 06/08/11 14:35 PM (PDT)

Mike, I love manual transmissions, but this is SUV/Crossover and it doesn't really handle as a sports car, they made it more comfortable, improved interior/exterior design and kept a crappy 20 year old auto trany. The reason I got this in auto is because, I needed my wife to be able to drive it as well. In manual mode it is better, but the lag between gear shifts is unbelievable. As I said other cars with CVT or alike, like Nissan Altima, Cheap Rouge, Mitsubishi Highlander, all cheaper than Subaru, have CVT and shift gear seamlessly.