2011 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
My Wife's New Wheels
By cachry on 01/07/11 06:46 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just finished researching small SUVs for my wife, and we settled on the Forester after looking at Honda CR-V. I believe we made the right choice, because the build quality seems to be about the same and reliability and resale value are also similar; but, the Forester provides a more comfortable ride and seating. To put it bluntly, the CR-V has austere seats, especially in the mid- and lower-range models. I would add that the Forester has amenities the CR-V does not, unless you buy the high-end model CR-V. It is true that the Forester is not as "pretty" as the CR-V, but my wife and I favor function over form so that dropped out immediately as a consideration. Best of all: She loves it!

Hate this car - complete lack of power
By jenn_outdoors on 01/05/11 09:53 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Paid $27k, 6mo later I wanted out of this car due to complete lack of power when I would go up into the mountains. CarMax & Toyota only offered me $19k, so I went to Subaru since they offer a "Guaranteed Trade In Program", however they also only valued the car at $19k. Unfortunately now I'm stuck in a car that I hate, and I will have to look into renting a more reliable car when I want to go up into the mountains. Will NEVER make the mistake of buying a Subaru again:-(

Love the boxer!
By wooddorker on 01/01/11 17:52 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love Subaru boxer engines. Yes, they're a tad noisy, IF you're used to a V8. Boxers need to REV, the power comes in between 3500-5000 RPM. Let it rip!! Once you understand this, our new Forester is is everything we've come to love in a a Subie. It all becomes clear when it snows and rains hard! These cars are absolutely on rails... Subarus are not luxury rides, but unique, sensible cars that keep on giving value, day after day. I'm so happy that the new car still feels light and responsive, rather than bloated and pillow-like as so many small SUV's do. My Forester feels like a tall, maneuverable CAR, not a downsized truck or grandpa's Town Car.

Exactly what I'm looking for
By driver_365 on 12/30/10 17:21 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've put 450 miles on this lovely 2.5X ltd. Everything looks great so far! Nimble handling. Nice exterior. Plenty of room. Comfortable leather seats. Blue tooth. USB port. the backup camera is a nice safety feature. What I like most is the new engine, which is a surprise. Being also a 07 outback owner, I had expected nothing more than a noisy and slow H4. But this one is totally different. The new design has made low speed acceleration quiet, smooth and effortless. Another highlight is the Yokohama tires. They work well on ice and snow. So, there's no need for snow tires. I expect many years of enjoyable and reliable ride in this car.

Noisy engine
By fnamowicz on 12/27/10 09:02 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Noisy engine lots of clatter sounds like a bunch of bolts in a blender. The spare tire procedure is ridiculous. you have to switch to 2wheel drive by adding a fuse and then removing it after going back to a full size tire Why not provide a full size spare to start with?

Subaru Symetrical AWD is Superior to FWD-AWD From Competitors
By rockdoc8 on 12/22/10 08:45 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2011 Forester because of the Subaru Symmetrical All Wheel Drive. If you don't understand why Subaru Symmetrical AWD is different from on demand AWD systems then you are not going to appreciate the true beauty of the Forester. After 2 snow storms in 2 weeks I am a believer. This car is so well behaved! I base my opinions on being a previous owner of a CRV, Toyota Tacoma and an X-terra. The front seats could be a little larger but I am large 62 and find them comfortable for extended driving. The new engine is robust and provides adequate acceleration. 4-speed auto is not a issue. This is a driver's car due to good driver's visibility, seating position, and full time AWD.

Great vehicle for tall people
By sprivasky on 12/21/10 20:40 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first time owning a Subaru and I am very pleased. I am 6'8" tall and could not be happier in this vehicle. The leg room and head room are fantastic, the ride is very comfortable, and the AWD feature is great. The exterior design is sharp and the interior design is simple. There is plenty of cargo room and the sun roof does not reduce the amount of headroom I have. The driver seat is very comfortable for long road trips and my passengers have commented on their comfortable seats. The Touring edition provides several key features that make it worth the extra money when compared to the Limited. I've only driven it 2,000 plus miles, but absolutely love this vehicle.

Very noisy engine
By olt1892 on 12/16/10 17:02 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Replaced a 10-year old Forester with a 2011 Limited. The new Forester engine is actually noiser than the old Forester I am replacing. Power is good when you are just following the traffic flow, not trying to overtake everyone. Bluetooth is a welcome feature. It is easy to pair the phone and program the speed dial. One thing is you must use voice recognition to operate the phone when the car is moving. That is, pressing the speed dial (1,2,...,6) key will not work when the car is moving. take everyone. Bluetooth is standard feature in Limited (also in Premium?)

Not my dream car
By wndylu on 12/09/10 10:44 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Granted I have the basic plain jane model, but I am not impressed with the design and would not purchase another Subaru based off this car. The main complaint I have is the heater, there does not seem to be much warm air when put in the feet/defrost setting and when you put in feet only you get more heat coming out of the vents facing the side windows then anything. As far as I can tell there are not heat vents in the back seat and I can not seem to get the car warm. Don't even want to get started on the sterero...or the middle console. Very dissapointed with this purchase and am upset with myself that I did not take more time when making this purchase. Should have gotten more for $23200

Bad Choice for Comfort
By Anonymous on 12/07/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for over a month and from day one had problems with driver seat issue. So far only 700 miles on it because it is too painful to drive. Test drove another car than what I purchased thinking they all were the same. Saleman was real pushy and rushed me into sale. My mistake. Cloth seat is so uncomfortable that I now have major upper and lower back problems that I have to go to physical therapy. Love a car that I can't drive!! Dealership and Subaru refuse to acknowledge the problem. Should have bought the Honda CRV!! Will NEVER buy another Subaru.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$98 per month*