Used 2011 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Second Subie in 4 Months!
By htx3

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Awesome Car! Bought my wife a 2011 Forester Premium in July. Our first Subie. I loved it so much I went and bought a 2011 Forester for myself. Got the 2.5 X(base) 5 speed. I was a GM owner for a number of years. I am sold on Subaru! Solid reliable cars. I have no complaints!

All of the standard safety features,AWD,,tight steering,handling,ground clearance,roomy interior.

None!

First Subie and Immediately Happy With It
By golfnpackers

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've ridden in the Ford Escape - no. Test drove the Nissan Rogue - awful interior. Test drove the Honda CRV - pretty nice. Test drove a Subaru Forester - bingo! As soon as we got in, we were immediately impressed with the solid feel of this vehicle. Roominess was amazing, especially for my 6'1" husband is a big guy and has huge shoulders. He is completely happy with the spaciousness, leg room (which is 2" more than the CRV), and head room. It drives smoothly, corners well and has tight steering and turning radius. Had a Honda Civic, so kind of used to a quality drive, and the Forester doesn't disappoint. Also liked the Honda Civic, but we were attracted to the AWD in the Forester.

Interior, drive is smooth, AWD, Yokohama Geolander tires. Size: not too big and not too small. Solid feel. Super service from dealership.

Radio sound needs improving - even my Honda Civic sounded better. The radio knobs are really tiny and when using volume, sometimes accidentally turns off radio. Moon roof is actually too large for my taste and a tad windy inside when using it as compared to our 2010 Honda Civic.

great car
By aucat

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car now for six months and am thrilled with it. I previously had a 2006 Outback, and this 2011 Forester has more interior room and gets even better mileage than the Outback did. I consistently get 32 mpg and have gotten as high as 35 mpg. I attribute this to the manual transmission. This is amazing since it is full time AWD. I live in Montana so this is absolutely necessary. I tried to seriously consider other brands, especially those by Chevy and Ford, however, I could not get within several thousand. The Nissan Rougue has come out with a similar price since I bought the Forester. I try to buy American when I can, but I just couldn't find a competing model.

Pleased but with soem reservations...
By pa_mama

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Our main issue with our new Forester is the distinct side to side sway (floating) we see on the highway. It isn't so noticeable at lower speeds and/or winding roads. Has anyone else observed/felt this problem? I have read of sway bar and sway bar link issues in Outbacks. I wonder if there are any with the Forester. Also, I agree with the one reviewer about seat comfort. We have the heated leather seats with the lumber support and multi position driver seat adjustment but I find that after driving for any length of time my right hip and back are quite sore. I don't have any problem when sitting in the passenger seat. Also, placement of passenger assist handle above the door is odd.

Nice long lap/shoulder belt fits even very large people. Not so with Honda! Honda offers no extension either like Ford does. Had Honda CRV. Got rid of it because seat belt not long enough. BluTooth on steering wheel works great. Heated leather seats wonderful. Sound system is good. Like most everything but hate side to side sway and spongey almost floating higheway ride.

Move passenger assist handle to more convenient place.....like to the right of windshield near top of door. It's position above the door helps not one bit when getting in or getting out. As far as assisting in getting in and out it is useless as teats on a bull.

Wanted To Love It, Be We Are Just Friends
By vvla

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

My impressions so far at 5K miles is a mixed bag. The Forester XT is great for family trips with enough comfort and room for kids and stuff. The XT has good power and dynamic handling thanks in part to the AWD that sometimes makes things boring. The interior is nice with some good features and is comfortable and reasonably quite. The price is also reasonable. But make no mistake about it, the 4sp auto is this carís big downfall that accounts for poor gas mileage (Iím getting 17.7mpg mostly city) and jerky shifting.

The boxer turbo 4 is powerful and butter smooth, smoother than the Infiniti and Acura V6 I own/ed. Steering and handling work really well with the AWD system. Tight turning radius and backup camera makes maneuverability easy. Dual auto climate controls a strong air conditioner and the heated front seats are nice. Good audio system with USB plug (no more $$ iPod, just a cheap thumb drive) or use Bluetooth for both cell and music. HID headlights are bright albeit not self-leveling or turning. Other nice touches are relining rear seats, ample cargo room, leather seats, large moon roof, comfortable seating, and good visibility. This car is ready for bad weather. Functional hood scoop is cool.

The transmission is responsible for the two biggest flaws in the XT, gas mileage (I avg 17.7mpg feathering the throttle most of the time) and jerky shifting. Just too few gears to get the mileage up or the spacing right to reduce the jerking. The XT is the performance Forester and should come with a 5sp auto as found on econboxes likes CRVs, Civics, Mazda 3s, Kias, etc. Also, thereís a 1sec delay when you floor the throttle, like the ECM is thinking, hello. These 3 shortcoming ruin the love for me. Manual adj passenger seat and lack of LED side brake lights and interior lights seem out of step. No clean diesel option in the USA.