2011 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Noisy engine
By fnamowicz on 12/27/10 09:02 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Noisy engine lots of clatter sounds like a bunch of bolts in a blender. The spare tire procedure is ridiculous. you have to switch to 2wheel drive by adding a fuse and then removing it after going back to a full size tire Why not provide a full size spare to start with?

Subaru Symetrical AWD is Superior to FWD-AWD From Competitors
By rockdoc8 on 12/22/10 08:45 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2011 Forester because of the Subaru Symmetrical All Wheel Drive. If you don't understand why Subaru Symmetrical AWD is different from on demand AWD systems then you are not going to appreciate the true beauty of the Forester. After 2 snow storms in 2 weeks I am a believer. This car is so well behaved! I base my opinions on being a previous owner of a CRV, Toyota Tacoma and an X-terra. The front seats could be a little larger but I am large 6’2” and find them comfortable for extended driving. The new engine is robust and provides adequate acceleration. 4-speed auto is not a issue. This is a driver's car due to good driver's visibility, seating position, and full time AWD.

Great vehicle for tall people
By sprivasky on 12/21/10 20:40 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first time owning a Subaru and I am very pleased. I am 6'8" tall and could not be happier in this vehicle. The leg room and head room are fantastic, the ride is very comfortable, and the AWD feature is great. The exterior design is sharp and the interior design is simple. There is plenty of cargo room and the sun roof does not reduce the amount of headroom I have. The driver seat is very comfortable for long road trips and my passengers have commented on their comfortable seats. The Touring edition provides several key features that make it worth the extra money when compared to the Limited. I've only driven it 2,000 plus miles, but absolutely love this vehicle.

Very noisy engine
By olt1892 on 12/16/10 17:02 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Replaced a 10-year old Forester with a 2011 Limited. The new Forester engine is actually noiser than the old Forester I am replacing. Power is good when you are just following the traffic flow, not trying to overtake everyone. Bluetooth is a welcome feature. It is easy to pair the phone and program the speed dial. One thing is you must use voice recognition to operate the phone when the car is moving. That is, pressing the speed dial (1,2,...,6) key will not work when the car is moving. take everyone. Bluetooth is standard feature in Limited (also in Premium?)

Not my dream car
By wndylu on 12/09/10 10:44 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Granted I have the basic plain jane model, but I am not impressed with the design and would not purchase another Subaru based off this car. The main complaint I have is the heater, there does not seem to be much warm air when put in the feet/defrost setting and when you put in feet only you get more heat coming out of the vents facing the side windows then anything. As far as I can tell there are not heat vents in the back seat and I can not seem to get the car warm. Don't even want to get started on the sterero...or the middle console. Very dissapointed with this purchase and am upset with myself that I did not take more time when making this purchase. Should have gotten more for $23200

Bad Choice for Comfort
By Anonymous on 12/07/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for over a month and from day one had problems with driver seat issue. So far only 700 miles on it because it is too painful to drive. Test drove another car than what I purchased thinking they all were the same. Saleman was real pushy and rushed me into sale. My mistake. Cloth seat is so uncomfortable that I now have major upper and lower back problems that I have to go to physical therapy. Love a car that I can't drive!! Dealership and Subaru refuse to acknowledge the problem. Should have bought the Honda CRV!! Will NEVER buy another Subaru.

Great Little Stationwagon
By Ernie on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After much research and checking out competitors vehicles, my wife and I settled on the Forester. We liked the styling and comfort. Living in the California foothills and mountains we wanted all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. Being a 4 cylinder, I thought it was a little underpowered, but after three months of ownership, we are both convinced, this car needs a 6 speed automatic to perform and keep up with traffic, especially in the hills. Being promoted as an outdoor vehicle for use in the hills, it seems funny most cars have a 6 speed automatic and Subaru has a 4 speed that was common in the 70's. Keeping the engine rpm in the higher ranges would make this car stellar. A good car.

Good Value for AWD
By Chris on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We’ve had a 2011 Forester 2.5X for about a month and are very pleased. The only fault we’ve found is that there is more road noise than we’re used to. Ride is smooth and feels solid. It has plenty of power while getting slightly better than 30 mpg on the highway. The 5 speed manual shifts smoothly, although it feels like it could use a sixth gear. The rear seats fold flat, giving tons of cargo space with built-in hooks galore. Love the audio jack in the center console for the iPod, although the console itself is too far back. Under the hood, all fluids you need to be concerned with are clearly marked and the oil filter is right up front on the topside. Can’t wait to try it in the snow!

Bang for the buck
By Java2 on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I test drove 2010 Forester (and CR-V) after a great deal of research. The ride quality and handling was better on Forester. It offered features I needed and was within my price range. But, I decided to wait for the 2011 model since it was going to have additional torque (174 pound feet compared to 170), slightly better mileage, and standard bluetooth. I recently purchased the 2011 Forester Premium (Automatic with all-weather package and Tom Tom navigation). The ride is excellent and handling is superior (it hugs the tight corners very well). It has great cost/benefit - loads of features (huge moonroof, heated front seats, power driver seat, ample cargo space, bluetooth, USB, etc).

Best SUV for the buck!
By Premium Forester on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I researched this purchase extensively. It's by far the best SUV for the $. Safety was my #1 priority. "Rear visibility" (a passive safety feature) is the best of any SUV on the market as is the drive-ability of this SUV (great turning radius). The new engine is great and the vehicle is affordable. The Premium w/All Weather Package is the best value (<$24k++). It packs all the most important and safety technology. It rides like a car and looks unique. Time will tell but so far it is proving to be a very wise purchase. I found each SUV I looked at had it's pro's / con's but in the final analysis of various data points it wasn't even close. I also get a lot of compliments on it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$103 per month*