2011 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
A great Value but by no means perfect. . .
By kghofsf on 04/04/11 13:10 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I recently bought a Pearl Blue 2.5X Limited Forester. I was looking for a smaller Crossover that was rugged enough to handle some relatively sketchy gravel / dirt roads on the way to the back-country, but was not completely out of place in an Urban environment. I also didn't want to spend 40K+ either. After returning from a 2500 mile road trip to the Tucson AZ area I can confirm that the Forester essentially fulfills its twin goals of being both tough enough for the desert and civilized enough for everyday driving. It is Not, however, a luxury car (see the Volvo XC60) nor is it a Performance car. As such people with long daily commutes might want to look elsewhere.

Not all warm and Fozzy
By arveejay on 03/13/11 13:30 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

There is a lot of noise inside the car at speed. I spent a couple hours setting up the hands free Bluetooth phone. Pairing the phone was easy. Sitting still, windows up, programming numbers was a major chore. The voice mostly said pardon. It just didn't want to accept numbers. We finally got 6-7 numbers programmed and took it for a test ride. It rarely worked, even at speeds under 35 mph. At speeds above 55, forget it. Dealer replaced the radio and the microphone. Tech prewarned me it was no better, and it isn't. Called S.O.A. and I was informed there was no know fix for it. Bumper 2 bumper warranty, and it can't be fixed. That's reassuring.Pistons rattle when cold. Was told it's normal.

2011 Subaru Forester Limited
By downsouth1 on 03/12/11 13:33 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Recently purchased the 2011 Subaru Forester Limited. All Wheel Drive was a compelling feature for me and the fact that it is highly rated in Consumers Report. Number one small SUV. Some things I would like to see improved upon: Interior fit and finish and quality of interior materials. Limited Edition should have features such as auto lights, auto locking doors, Satelite Radio instead of Satelite Ready (which cost you another $500 to buy the parts to have the radio function as a satelite radio), Gas Lid release should be on the driver's door instead of the floor of the car (making it easier to reach), transmission should updated to a CVT transmission or more than 4 gears.

Nice overall package
By naomispilot on 03/06/11 19:59 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After test drives of the competition, the ride in this SUV was the best. Steering is good, and handling is responsive. The tilt/telescope wheel and power seat make it easy to get comfortable behind the wheel. It's been good in the snow so far. I installed aftermarket mud flaps, a good choice. Paint is a little soft/scratches easily. Engine is responsive, a little noisy but revs smoothly. Gear shift is notchy but tolerable and fine when you get used to it. The things I don't like about it, I decided at the test drive I could live with. No complaints on those things. The interior is well assembled, some materials are on the cheap side.

great value and best in snow
By gib2011 on 01/18/11 23:17 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great SUV especially for Harsh winters and off road driving. The 2010 /2011 Forester is easy on the eyes in my opinion. This car has the best value for money in its class. The leather interior is very nice but not luxurious. The blue tooth and Navigation work well, and the touch screen is very convenient. I really enjoy driving my Forester. The handling is better than I thought it would be. The sound system in the limited edition forester is good. I was quite impressed with the video quality of the DVD player. I watched Avitar in my Forester, and the surround sound together with the visual quality was great! I really love this car!

fair at 800 miles
By rustythepuppy on 01/11/11 00:56 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

800 miles so far for this fairbanks, alaskan vehicle. driving on ice requires patience since it slides around a lot -- better treaded tires will be the next investment, though have not driven it in much snow. not happy with the yokohama's. the back hatch has some probs closing all the way - have to open and slam it a few times to get it to securely shut. i love the huge moonroof and the visibility out back. the sound quality of the premium stereo is a bit stinky -- not what i expected, and have to crank it if i want to hear it. we'll keep on driving the overpriced car and see what happens.

My Wife's New Wheels
By cachry on 01/07/11 06:46 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just finished researching small SUVs for my wife, and we settled on the Forester after looking at Honda CR-V. I believe we made the right choice, because the build quality seems to be about the same and reliability and resale value are also similar; but, the Forester provides a more comfortable ride and seating. To put it bluntly, the CR-V has austere seats, especially in the mid- and lower-range models. I would add that the Forester has amenities the CR-V does not, unless you buy the high-end model CR-V. It is true that the Forester is not as "pretty" as the CR-V, but my wife and I favor function over form so that dropped out immediately as a consideration. Best of all: She loves it!

Hate this car - complete lack of power
By jenn_outdoors on 01/05/11 09:53 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Paid $27k, 6mo later I wanted out of this car due to complete lack of power when I would go up into the mountains. CarMax & Toyota only offered me $19k, so I went to Subaru since they offer a "Guaranteed Trade In Program", however they also only valued the car at $19k. Unfortunately now I'm stuck in a car that I hate, and I will have to look into renting a more reliable car when I want to go up into the mountains. Will NEVER make the mistake of buying a Subaru again:-(

Love the boxer!
By wooddorker on 01/01/11 17:52 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love Subaru boxer engines. Yes, they're a tad noisy, IF you're used to a V8. Boxers need to REV, the power comes in between 3500-5000 RPM. Let it rip!! Once you understand this, our new Forester is is everything we've come to love in a a Subie. It all becomes clear when it snows and rains hard! These cars are absolutely on rails... Subarus are not luxury rides, but unique, sensible cars that keep on giving value, day after day. I'm so happy that the new car still feels light and responsive, rather than bloated and pillow-like as so many small SUV's do. My Forester feels like a tall, maneuverable CAR, not a downsized truck or grandpa's Town Car.

Exactly what I'm looking for
By driver_365 on 12/30/10 17:21 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've put 450 miles on this lovely 2.5X ltd. Everything looks great so far! Nimble handling. Nice exterior. Plenty of room. Comfortable leather seats. Blue tooth. USB port. the backup camera is a nice safety feature. What I like most is the new engine, which is a surprise. Being also a 07 outback owner, I had expected nothing more than a noisy and slow H4. But this one is totally different. The new design has made low speed acceleration quiet, smooth and effortless. Another highlight is the Yokohama tires. They work well on ice and snow. So, there's no need for snow tires. I expect many years of enjoyable and reliable ride in this car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$103 per month*