Used 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Premium SUV Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

My first and last Subaru! Multiple issues..
By Mary M

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased my 2011 Subaru new and began having difficulties maintaining oil within the first two years. On a highway drive within 75 miles from home, I heard a clicking in the engine and car felt sluggish. Pulled into gas station and checked oil - WOW it was empty!!! I addded 4-5 quarts and the stick was still showing oil half way. I'm a single woman so of course I thought I must not be doing something right with maintainance even though I have oil replaced even more frequently than recommended for synthetic oil. Then I happened to see the other reviews for this model with same issues. There is no oil light to warn you of low oil and i see some reviews where people have had failed engines. In addition to the oil issue, I have had both right and left front cracked axles (at separate times and did not go over any pot holes). There was also a recall on the 2011 brake lines . Coincidentally last winter, I had my first accident ever when my brakes failed on a slippery road - grinding noise and car kept going. Bought this car for good control in snow since I live in New England but brakes have failed me a few times. Love the Subaru concept and jealous of all those other Subaru owners who love their's - maybe its just the 2011 Forester but I won't be taking any more chances and plan to return to Honda.

a definite value pick for a compact SUV
By jamesosan

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This vehicle is blast! A nostalgic cruiser for the senses. The panaramic roof set back brings all the smells of a coastal day trip to the senses. The turbo 4-boxer compliments the incredible handling. The overstated concerns for a 4 speed tranny is an effort in futility. If we were questioning the lastest porsche with this tranny in play than there is a viable arguement. But this is a compact SUV for the small family or weekend enthusiast. If a gearhead is looking for the ultimate in performance than its an overstated perception that compact SUV's are not race cars. This car is a blast. When I pop the roof open it draws my three year olds attention away from the tv and towards the sky!

Gas economy, safety, spacious for a person over 6 feet tall in the front and back seats. Turbo charged 4-boxer, blue tooth phone capabilities(voice prompts very responsive), perfect product for the standard needs of a consumer.

Wish I would have purchased the back up camera my wife is horrible driver!

An honest Car!
By clobrun

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Before I bought my Forester 2.5XT, I did a lot of research and tried many vehicles of the same type.
Driving the Subaru for the first time was an interesting experience.
The vehicle did exactly what the maker
said it would do.
Nothing more, nothing less.
There were no surprises.

I love my Forester a whole lot.
It is great on the road and has plenty of power.
You are not overwhelmed by the gadgetry.
It is
plain but very efficient.
It has everything I need.
I feel secure in it.
In all, it does not disappoint.
It gives you exactly what it says it will give.

An honest all around vehicle.

How it sticks to the road. The forester has a lot of power. I was surprised how smooth and powerful is the braking system. Good sound system and seats, and a fabulous sunroof.

The cup hlders in the central console could be better position. They are too far back back and make it a bit uncomfortable to reach. The armrest over the central console should more a bit more forward to be fully comfortable. Dual zones climate control would be welcomed. Another small thing, the remote door opener should be on the key and not a separate item.