2011 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Excessive oil consumption, computer fail, cold start noise
By edholden on 11/03/14 08:45 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased new 2011 Forrester prem 2.5. Currently have less than 22k miles. Have had excessive oil consumption from day one. It wasn't until after many complaints, that the dealer started an oil consumption test. No issue failing that. Car would consume 3-4.5 quarts on a thousand mile trip, over and over again. Subaru put a new short block in it after it failed the test, and also had a software malfunction whole taking the test. Now the engine knocks on every cold start. SOA Rep acknowledges the excessive noise, but claims there is no fix. The dealer already supposedly replaced the tentioner on the timing chain. Filed suit against SOA for failing to comply per warrant.

Excessive Oil Consumption
By climaxbrew on 10/27/14 13:34 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

wife and I bought this car for our 20th anniversary. We bought it based on consumer reports and the companies image of being safe and reliable. It turns out that this is all hype and BS as this is the worst piece of junk I have ever bought. This car went through oil like crazy. Every 500-1000 miles I had to put 3-4 quarts of oil in. I diligently did this as Subaru tells you that it is normal to burn 1-2 quarts per 1000 miles. The end result was a blown motor on a 3 year old car. Told Subaru america about the problem and they offered no help whatsoever. We had to put a used motor in the car at a cost of over $4000 as a rebuild of the motor would have cost $7000. Beware people.This car is JUNK

Excessive Oil Consumption destroys all value
By sadsubaru on 10/16/14 19:42 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Let me begin by saying I own three Subarus and I used to love the company. However there is a defect in many 2011 to 2014 Forester engines. The defect cause them to consume massive amounts of the 0W20 oil the specs require. The problem is so bad a class action law suit has been filed. Google this story subaru-excess-oil-consumption-problem-may-lead-to-engine-failure-lawsuit My car has the defect and Subaru refuses to take full responsibility. I can't sell it to anyone in good faith and so I'm stuck pouring hundred of dollars of oil into it every year. My Subaru dealer quoted $5000 to fix the defect. It is an invisible problem, so buyer beware.

Excessive oil consumption
By pardosa on 08/27/14 05:09 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Like many others on this site, we've been plagued by excessive oil consumption, beginning with the light coming on unexpectedly, and the dealer's telling me that all Subarus use oil between changes. I have never, ever, experienced this with any other model car I've driven, except late into its life, like 185,000 miles, and then only a quart between changes. This is much worse. I would happily join a class-action lawsuit, and will certainly never buy another Subaru

This thing is GARBAGE!!!
By markfu on 06/05/14 08:46 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It burns oil!!!!! My wife bought this new and we just had to have the engine rebuilt because it had no oil in it at the dealership recommended 7500 mile oil change!!!!! The dealership, with a straight face, tells us that 1 quart every 1500 miles is normal??? I have a 1995 Ford Bronco and it burns a quart every 6k miles. Why is it that an engine that is 19+ years old burns less oil than one 3 years old? How is this ok? How did this pass quality controll??? Why, why, why????? Pass these heaps over if you are wise! It is completely insane that a "modern" vehicle burns oil like its a vehicle from the 1970s, INSANE!!!!

Drove it 50,000 miles, Absolutely Reliable!
By xira1 on 04/04/14 17:13 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I just turned in my XT after 3-year lease was up. It never burned a drop of oil between changes and nothing (other than gas door lever) broke. It was 100% reliable through hard use, on and off-road, hauling bikes, kayaks etc. It was truly my trusted friend, and very fun to drive fast on mountain roads because of the precise, communicative steering. The turbo was powerful. Got a very good lease price, and when I turned it in, the car was worth more than the residual value, so I got a $1700 credit toward another vehicle.

Subaru Forester 2011 Lemon
By yukon13 on 08/29/13 06:14 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I suggest never buying a Subaru. I purchased my first one strictly due to their perceived reputation. The 2011 Forester is poorly built. Body trim pieces have fallen off. Their is piston ring slap and it burns oil like there's no tomorrow. Service at Northtown Auto in Amherst NY actually said that this was normal and that Boxer engines are known for burning oil. After recommended oil changes at 3500 and 7500 miles, I was on my way to my 15000 mile change and the engined developed a low-end knock at 13000. Turns out, nearly all the oil was gone and there's not a single leak. Poor quality engine and manufacturing.

guessing
By up6903 on 05/24/13 14:55 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car as it was my wife's turn to pick and she wanted something safe. I wanted something economical and comfortable, like a cadilac. No not really but you get the point, seats like a sofa. This car is too narrow and there is no cup holders unless you call the 2 square slots between the seats for my biggulps. and then they sneak a parking break in the middle too that takes up space for my legroom, 6' I am. The door when one closes it sounds tinny. needs some spray insulation. Another thing that rattles me is the transmission as when I'm in my turn right or left it seems to go into neutral and slips and catches as I apply the gas to continue down the street. Service says nothin

WARNING!!! Make sure to check your Oil!!!
By looney3 on 02/17/13 19:24 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you own a 2011 or newer Forester with the new engine requiring synthetic oil, Check/add oil frequently! Mine requires 1 qt added every 1800 miles on average. I read an account of another 2011 Forester owner who went just over 10,000 miles without checking or changing the oil, and the engine ran out of oil, seized and was destroyed. You will need to add 3-4 qts in between oil changes. Engine rattles loudly at startup for a few seconds. Subaru needs to fix the problem of oil use. Most people are not diligent about checking and topping up their oil. There will be many unhappy owners.

Is Subaru slipping?
By ipa_girl on 11/28/12 12:09 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Forester, the first one used, the rest bought new. I've had it 12 months and have about 18K miles on it. Overall, the car is fine but I've had problems with little plastic parts falling off left and right. The inside gas lever, the pegs that are supposed to hold the cargo net (fixed 3x), and on and on. This never happened with any of my older models. They just replaced a recalled part of the child's seatbelt that retracts into the ceiling. Not twenty minutes after driving off the lot, a piece of plastic fell out of it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Forester Suv in VA is:

$98 per month*