Used 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

I hate this car.
By Tom B.

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a 1999 Subaru Forester and it was the greatest car I ever had. This is the worst. The automatic transmission can't keep up with the engine when accelerating out of a turn. It burns off the required watery oil like nobody's business. The cabin smells like oil when stopped at lights. The back hatch has to be SLAMMED to get it to close. It evidently requires a software upgrade now because it doesn't like to start on the first or second attempt. Subaru really lost my trust with this vehicle.....

my 2003 Forester was better in some respects
By NWdoc

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had 3 Subarus now and always bought used. I was excited to get a great deal on a 2011 in 2015--the newest car i've ever had. it looked practically brand new. The interior room and back seat room is much better than previous Subarus, much better than my 2003 which I sold to get the 2011. You get in straight across whereas older Foresters you had to sit down into, meaning you have to get up out of the car. This was difficult for my old parents. I can take my parents easily in this car front seat or back. But, carseats do not fit well due to curved back seat at the sides. ???There is plenty of cargo room, overall, the car looks nice. However, I was expecting it to be as sturdy as my old Subaru. I got a dent in the body near the driver window. Don't know who dropped something on the car, but it looks like it dented and scratched easily. my 2003 had no dents or scratches at all. The interior of the 2011 (and i think it goes back to 2009 as well) has silver plastic which scratches easily. The part that is softer plastic and not shiny is sturdy. They should use the better softer plastic in the whole thing. The shiny plastic looks cheesy. The best part is that the wind noise is gone! my 2003 was almost unbearable on long trips due to the well known Subaru wind noise. They fixed that with the 2011. You still get road noise though through the tires. Accelerates well--better than 2003, but the steering radius feels a bit wider. I really like the small turning radius on Subs. still I can make a U-turn easily. Little things bug me on this car like the windows do not clear when you roll them down and up. The glass and side mirrors don't clear well, i will try RAIN-X. Although I like the higher height, i realise it will be harder to put things on top the car. Mechanic said that my 2003 had the better engine. This engine is soooooo noisy when you start it, it sounds like an old car or like the exhaust system needs work. It just doesn't sounds as solid as my old Subaru. Why make a newer car that is inferior to the old one? Also I was hoping that the newer car would have better gas mileage. It does not. Overall, i like the roomier interior, but the car as a whole feels less sturdy. I hope this engine will go a long time like other subaru engines. My old one had 212,000miles on it and I'm sure it could have gone 100,000more. that is why I buy Subaru. My Jeep always needed mechanic work, VW Passat, same thing. Subaru...no problems.

My trusty, dependable steed
By C Norty

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a jeep and a Nissan pathfinder. both vehicles i loved for their own reasons, but wanted something that was more economical and still afforded me the ability to go off-road and take some abuse. When I saw the 2011, i fell in love with the lines. In my opinion, the exterior is perfect, with the interior being well done, too. I am a designer and basically made my purchase because i loved the design of the vehicle. the newer design is awful. the 2011 is the sweet spot for me. Anyway, I took delivery of the vehicle in November 2011 and immediately put it to work. There has been NOTHING this car has not been able to handle, aside from perhaps rock crawling. I lived in the southwest and spent a lot of time in the desert. the AWD keeps the car on the dirt like glue. In the rain, the same. In the snow, it's nearly unstoppable.

46,000 miles later....

The exterior I have found does not do well against branches and scratched easily. the interior, is well thought out but the paneling is cheap and scratched easily. I've had to have a few of the plastic bits replaced and had to re-install a few others multiple times. Audio system is excellent for a factory radio, but the bluetooth will not stay synced to my iPhone. iPod controls are good, but doesn't remember folder placement if turned on/off. AC is decent and was often put to good use when it was 115 in the desert.

I am 6-2 and find leftroom and getting in/out to be quite easy. this was another important purchase reason for me.

When the transmission is in regular D, performance is awful. I always use the 'sport' mode or the clutchless manual shift which allows me to actually pass cars on the road. THIS IS NOT A PERFORMANCE VEHICLE. the real power is above 4000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd.

I have had zero maintenance issues with the vehicle. Just oil changes and rotation of the tires.

In the SW i was averaging 24.6 mpg, but now in Texas with more stop/go, i am getting 21 overall if i am lucky. The AWD is a fuel hog, that's for sure. I've taken the car on multiple cross country trips and it will cruise @ 70 MPH all day long. There is road noise, and is getting worse now that the tires are reaching the end of their life, but it's not as bad as some other cars.

I bought this car to be a work horse, and it shows. the exterior, while still shiny has all the marks of off-roading and the interior show's it's been occupied to people who spend time outdoors.

Reliable and safe
By marnie

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is practical and just always goes. In the 68k miles I have owned the car, not a single mechanical problem. Handles snow really well. Excellent visibility-there a virtually no blind spots.

By marnie

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Never breaks down. Does great in snow
But it is very noisy when on the hwy. It has a good quality stereo that can hardly be heard!