2011 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
This thing is GARBAGE!!!
By markfu on 06/05/14 08:46 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It burns oil!!!!! My wife bought this new and we just had to have the engine rebuilt because it had no oil in it at the dealership recommended 7500 mile oil change!!!!! The dealership, with a straight face, tells us that 1 quart every 1500 miles is normal??? I have a 1995 Ford Bronco and it burns a quart every 6k miles. Why is it that an engine that is 19+ years old burns less oil than one 3 years old? How is this ok? How did this pass quality controll??? Why, why, why????? Pass these heaps over if you are wise! It is completely insane that a "modern" vehicle burns oil like its a vehicle from the 1970s, INSANE!!!!

Drove it 50,000 miles, Absolutely Reliable!
By xira1 on 04/04/14 17:13 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I just turned in my XT after 3-year lease was up. It never burned a drop of oil between changes and nothing (other than gas door lever) broke. It was 100% reliable through hard use, on and off-road, hauling bikes, kayaks etc. It was truly my trusted friend, and very fun to drive fast on mountain roads because of the precise, communicative steering. The turbo was powerful. Got a very good lease price, and when I turned it in, the car was worth more than the residual value, so I got a $1700 credit toward another vehicle.

Subaru Forester 2011 Lemon
By yukon13 on 08/29/13 06:14 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I suggest never buying a Subaru. I purchased my first one strictly due to their perceived reputation. The 2011 Forester is poorly built. Body trim pieces have fallen off. Their is piston ring slap and it burns oil like there's no tomorrow. Service at Northtown Auto in Amherst NY actually said that this was normal and that Boxer engines are known for burning oil. After recommended oil changes at 3500 and 7500 miles, I was on my way to my 15000 mile change and the engined developed a low-end knock at 13000. Turns out, nearly all the oil was gone and there's not a single leak. Poor quality engine and manufacturing.

guessing
By up6903 on 05/24/13 14:55 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car as it was my wife's turn to pick and she wanted something safe. I wanted something economical and comfortable, like a cadilac. No not really but you get the point, seats like a sofa. This car is too narrow and there is no cup holders unless you call the 2 square slots between the seats for my biggulps. and then they sneak a parking break in the middle too that takes up space for my legroom, 6' I am. The door when one closes it sounds tinny. needs some spray insulation. Another thing that rattles me is the transmission as when I'm in my turn right or left it seems to go into neutral and slips and catches as I apply the gas to continue down the street. Service says nothin

WARNING!!! Make sure to check your Oil!!!
By looney3 on 02/17/13 19:24 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you own a 2011 or newer Forester with the new engine requiring synthetic oil, Check/add oil frequently! Mine requires 1 qt added every 1800 miles on average. I read an account of another 2011 Forester owner who went just over 10,000 miles without checking or changing the oil, and the engine ran out of oil, seized and was destroyed. You will need to add 3-4 qts in between oil changes. Engine rattles loudly at startup for a few seconds. Subaru needs to fix the problem of oil use. Most people are not diligent about checking and topping up their oil. There will be many unhappy owners.

Is Subaru slipping?
By ipa_girl on 11/28/12 12:09 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Forester, the first one used, the rest bought new. I've had it 12 months and have about 18K miles on it. Overall, the car is fine but I've had problems with little plastic parts falling off left and right. The inside gas lever, the pegs that are supposed to hold the cargo net (fixed 3x), and on and on. This never happened with any of my older models. They just replaced a recalled part of the child's seatbelt that retracts into the ceiling. Not twenty minutes after driving off the lot, a piece of plastic fell out of it.

Don't be a fool, like I was
By vladikt on 11/28/12 10:15 AM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It took me about 30 days to realize how uncomfortable my Forester is. I guess I was still hyped up to have a brand new car. First of all, it is not a cheap car by any means. Limited Edition is about 26k. I love the exterior and interior looks, the reliability is great as well, BUT the car is automatic transmission is EXTREMELY jerky and the suspension leaves A LOT to be desired. It literary feels as if you are riding a carriage from 18th century. It is really sad that such a beautiful car inside and out has such poor driving characteristics. The most unfortunate thing is that Subaru RUINED Forester 2014, it looks hideous, just as ugly as Impreza. HIDEOUS, how could then destroy such beautifu

Not as good as I hoped
By musiclvr1 on 09/14/12 01:56 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

6 months and 11k miles so far. own 3 other vehicles that are also driven on the same roads, parked in the same place, etc. only car with a cracked windshield? the forester. only car with hail damage? the forester. I almost 6 ft tall, and can not find a comfortable position. No telscoping wheel really sucks, as I have long legs and unless the seat is fully back, my legs are cramped if driving for any length of time, but then my arms are held nearly straight out to reach the wheel. I think the body is made of foil instead of sheat metal, recent light hail storm left 18 dents in the car. my other cars, not a single dent. radio is horrible, interior plastic feels cheaper every day.

Bought New and Traded-In after 13 Months
By 94accordwagon on 03/28/12 13:49 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the 2011 Subaru Forester X Premium brand new in December of 2010. I only drove it for a very short local road test which was a mistake. I had the car for a few months and wasn't happy with the bumpy ride, the wheel base is too short. My wife who is my main passenger couldn't stand the passenger seat which is mounted so low with no height adjustment. The heat doesn't blow down on your feet so you take forever to get warm. Gas mileage, particularly with the outdated 4-speed automatic transmission is terrible. I couldn't take it anymore and traded it in in February 2012. I bought 2012 Outback, a softer ride has a longer wheelbase while the car is only 9 inches longer.

Mixed feelings
By brucee2 on 02/28/12 18:27 PM (PST)

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have had my Forester for 13 months, 42,000 km. (26,000 miles). Quite happy with the ride, handling, steering, brakes & overall design. Of course, the AWD is great. What is totally unacceptable for me is the drivers seat comfort. (unfortunately, a 20 or 30 minute test drive when buying a car does not expose this problem). I realize we are all built differently, but for my 5' 7" body, it just doesn't work. Headed for Florida a couple of weeks ago & had to turn back in South Carolina because of severe back pain. Will never attempt a long trlip in this vehicle again. No matter how good a vehicle is, if you can't be comfortable in the drivers seat, it is a lost cause.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$103 per month*