Used 2011 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Like it, but...
By KS

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Wishing now I didn't get the standard. Shifting is a hassle and it's always been kind of touchy. Thought it would get better, but after 4 years it still stalls if not babied.

Reliable and safe
By marnie

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is practical and just always goes. In the 68k miles I have owned the car, not a single mechanical problem. Handles snow really well. Excellent visibility-there a virtually no blind spots.

By marnie

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Never breaks down. Does great in snow But it is very noisy when on the hwy. It has a good quality stereo that can hardly be heard!

My first and last Subaru! Multiple issues..
By Mary M

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased my 2011 Subaru new and began having difficulties maintaining oil within the first two years. On a highway drive within 75 miles from home, I heard a clicking in the engine and car felt sluggish. Pulled into gas station and checked oil - WOW it was empty!!! I addded 4-5 quarts and the stick was still showing oil half way. I'm a single woman so of course I thought I must not be doing something right with maintainance even though I have oil replaced even more frequently than recommended for synthetic oil. Then I happened to see the other reviews for this model with same issues. There is no oil light to warn you of low oil and i see some reviews where people have had failed engines. In addition to the oil issue, I have had both right and left front cracked axles (at separate times and did not go over any pot holes). There was also a recall on the 2011 brake lines . Coincidentally last winter, I had my first accident ever when my brakes failed on a slippery road - grinding noise and car kept going. Bought this car for good control in snow since I live in New England but brakes have failed me a few times. Love the Subaru concept and jealous of all those other Subaru owners who love their's - maybe its just the 2011 Forester but I won't be taking any more chances and plan to return to Honda.

You'll need lot's of oil
By Joe Krownen Jr.

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought our 2011 forester new. On a long drive in 2014, we heard a ticking sound in the engine. Once home, took it to the dealer. Dealer said it was very low on oil, so they replaced filter and topped it off. We took another long drive and the ticking returned. I had to add three qts of oil. Since that time, it seems I have to check the oil every 1,500 to 2,000 miles and will need to add a quart. The break-in procedures were followed and oil service was accomplished on schedule. All service was performed by the dealer the first two years or so (long drive). We smell burning oil in the garage. There is no oil on the ground or engine. Not sure exactly when it started, but it seems to be getting

We have a '99 Plymouth Voyager and the roof rack has two cross bars and there's slots for string when tying something down. The Forester does not have cross braces and no slots or spots as attach points for tying something down. Those rails seem more as a decoration as they are not very functional.

• SUV