Used 2011 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

You'll need lot's of oil
By Joe Krownen Jr.

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought our 2011 forester new. On a long drive in 2014, we heard a ticking sound in the engine. Once home, took it to the dealer. Dealer said it was very low on oil, so they replaced filter and topped it off. We took another long drive and the ticking returned. I had to add three qts of oil. Since that time, it seems I have to check the oil every 1,500 to 2,000 miles and will need to add a quart. The break-in procedures were followed and oil service was accomplished on schedule. All service was performed by the dealer the first two years or so (long drive). We smell burning oil in the garage. There is no oil on the ground or engine. Not sure exactly when it started, but it seems to be getting

We have a '99 Plymouth Voyager and the roof rack has two cross bars and there's slots for string when tying something down. The Forester does not have cross braces and no slots or spots as attach points for tying something down. Those rails seem more as a decoration as they are not very functional.

Excessive oil consumption, computer fail, cold start noise
By edholden

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased new 2011 Forrester prem 2.5. Currently have less than 22k miles. Have had excessive oil consumption from day one. It wasn't until after many complaints, that the dealer started an oil consumption test. No issue failing that. Car would consume 3-4.5 quarts on a thousand mile trip, over and over again. Subaru put a new short block in it after it failed the test, and also had a software malfunction whole taking the test. Now the engine knocks on every cold start. SOA Rep acknowledges the excessive noise, but claims there is no fix. The dealer already supposedly replaced the tentioner on the timing chain. Filed suit against SOA for failing to comply per warrant.

A fully tested engine, before releasing a new model to the public. This engine is riddled with problems. I no longer have confidence in the Subaru brand. After reading all the information now available after the fact, I believe they released the model to the publics with full knowledge of the excessive oil consumption issues. The timing chain tensioner on the left side of the vehicle is obviously defective. The fix suggested in my case has not rectified the problem.

Excessive Oil Consumption
By climaxbrew

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

wife and I bought this car for our 20th anniversary. We bought it based on consumer reports and the companies image of being safe and reliable. It turns out that this is all hype and BS as this is the worst piece of junk I have ever bought. This car went through oil like crazy. Every 500-1000 miles I had to put 3-4 quarts of oil in. I diligently did this as Subaru tells you that it is normal to burn 1-2 quarts per 1000 miles. The end result was a blown motor on a 3 year old car. Told Subaru america about the problem and they offered no help whatsoever. We had to put a used motor in the car at a cost of over $4000 as a rebuild of the motor would have cost $7000. Beware people.This car is JUNK

Excessive Oil Consumption destroys all value
By sadsubaru

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Let me begin by saying I own three Subarus and I used to love the company. However there is a defect in many 2011 to 2014 Forester engines. The defect cause them to consume massive amounts of the 0W20 oil the specs require. The problem is so bad a class action law suit has been filed. Google this story subaru-excess-oil-consumption-problem-may-lead-to-engine-failure-lawsuit My car has the defect and Subaru refuses to take full responsibility. I can't sell it to anyone in good faith and so I'm stuck pouring hundred of dollars of oil into it every year. My Subaru dealer quoted $5000 to fix the defect. It is an invisible problem, so buyer beware.

It is a well designed family car that does many things well. However, it sucks up the oil and has left me as an unhappy owner. If you don't constantly check the oil it could easily run dry between changes. Buyer beware, as there is no way to know the engine has the oil consumption issue until you have run an oil consumption test and had your entire engine block dismantled.

Subaru should admit to the defects and fix them, regardless of warranty status. That is the only way to bring good used value back to all the models (it's not just the Forester) of Subaru that have this oil consumption problem.

Excessive oil consumption
By pardosa

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Like many others on this site, we've been plagued by excessive oil consumption, beginning with the light coming on unexpectedly, and the dealer's telling me that all Subarus use oil between changes. I have never, ever, experienced this with any other model car I've driven, except late into its life, like 185,000 miles, and then only a quart between changes. This is much worse. I would happily join a class-action lawsuit, and will certainly never buy another Subaru

Almost paid for.

An engine that does not use oil between changes, and an honest 5000 mile change interval.