Smooth but rattles
By Subie2010 on
2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
The Forester 2.5X base model is a good value and is a decent and quiet AWD wagon on the road. I upgraded the base model with leather and installed my own hood protector, mud guards, and bumper guard. I'm still breaking in the engine at < 800 miles so mileage is all over, between 22 and 28 mpg. I owned a 2001 Forester S (loved that Subie) and changed to my 2.5X. The jury is still out as I need more time behind the wheel. The annoying and loud rattles in the rear of the vehicle is putting a damper on what should be an enjoyable driving experience with this Subaru. Some loading on the floor seem to quiet the rattles a little. I'll have the dealer try to fix the rattles next week.
Favorite Features
AWD - the primary reason I bought another Subaru. (Upgraded) leather seats are supple and comfortable (for the driver). Excellent 360 visibility. Roomy cargo space. Easy-to-reach controls although the icons can be difficult to read depending on the lighting condition.
Suggested Improvements
Higher passenger seat!!! The low passenger side seat (~2.5-3 inches lower than my 2001 Foresters S) makes for an uncomfortable passenger ride. Subaru should offer existing '09-'10 Forester owners an upgrade to a taller seat. Softer material/more insulation in the back to get rid of the rattles.