2010 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: Rattles like a Soviet-made pie

2010 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Review

2010 Subaru Forester SUV

Rattles like a Soviet-made piece of junk
By Rattled on

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 6-7 months of research, I bought a new Forester 2.5X (basic). It is a compromise: will use it as a family car + getting to trail heads via back roads. After 3 weeks and 600 miles on asphalt, it started rattling at relatively low speed, like 20-40 mph. The last time I had a car rattle like this was when I was much younger - and it was a a small Soviet-made piece of junk, much different from a cute new Forester. The service department reduced the rattle but it is still there. They gave me a replacement Forester that rattled at least as loud as my own. The rattle completely spoils the joy one expects form a new car. In addition - relatively poor gas mileage in a city (we drive it gently)

My favorite feature of the Subaru Forester is that you can joke about it. For example: "My Subaru never rattled in 11 years" is a joke. I replace one word, say Subaru with Honda, and it is not a joke anymore. True, my 11-years old Honda never rattled. True, indeed, nothing to laugh about.

Fix the rattling somehow, or tell everybody about it. There are a lot of comments here to testify to that problem. If rattle cannot be fixed, call the car Subaru "Rattler" Forester.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review