Used 2010 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Fun, roomy and comfortable
By Max

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru after 16 years in a five-speed manual sport wagon. I find the Forester roomy with a comfortable ride and economical on the gas. The comfortable ride and tall body give somewhat more body roll and more flexible cornering than my old stiff-sprung wagon. Unlike the old wagon, the long-travel suspension handles whatever the road dishes out without crash-bang noise and discomfort, and the Subie is more stable in bumpy corners due to this. I'm very satisfied with the 4-speed automatic which does its job smoothly and appreciate the simplicity and economy unlike some of the six- and seven-speed monsters of other brands that get no better mileage than my old Cherokee.

Favorite Features

The Forester's economy, roominess, and sporty drive make for a very enjoyable driving experience. I can wiggle my shoulders and vary my driving position without bumping the doors or other passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Interior trim could be somewhat better, but I did buy the Forester as a sport ECONOMY wagon, and the price, features, and sporty driving personality are just what I wanted.

Great Small SUV but Far From Perfect
By Craig

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This is my second Forester in the last 2 years. I traded in my first one after a year and a half because the X model (4 cylinder) did not have enough power for me. I upgraded to an XT turbo which is more my speed. If you are looking for any performance this is the way to go. I stayed with Subaru because they gave me a great trade in price. The XT in black suits my lifestyle, sporty & practical. The forester is great for active individuals & small families. It is an easy commuter, great visibility, easy to drive & park but it does need some improvements. The engine & transmission seem well built but the interior plastics are cheap, not the perceived Subaru ruggedness I was looking for.

Favorite Features

XT-acceleration. Easy to drive & park in less then ideal driving conditions, rain, snow etc. Great visibility. All Wheel Drive. High ground clearance. Good luggage capacity. True sport utility vehicle- easy to carry surfboards, bikes, snowboards, skis, camping gear, groceries etc.

Suggested Improvements

The interior of the Forester seems dated. It lacks luxury & technology. The interior plastics are cheap & seem to be just thrown in. I already had a gas lever & seat release button pop out. Upgrade the radio & XM antenna. Subaru uses an XM antenna that attaches to the windshield, weak reception

We're so happy
By Jeff

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

With our new White satin Pearl Forester ltd. Have had one month now and very pleased. Ride is "tight". Car seems solid. No rattles ( I was a little concerned about this after reading reviews before we purchased-but so far so good). 4 speed trans is better than expected as "sport shift" mode makes for crisp shifting and even in normal "drive " position the spacing between the gears is such that the final rpm at highway speed is not too much higher than a 5 speed might be.

Favorite Features

Boxer engine. I really like its sound and smoothness. Panoramic sun roof. Quality steering and ride.

Suggested Improvements

Power passenger seat.

Great!
By frogamigo

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I LOVE my new Forester! Fun, good looking, practical, and safe!

Favorite Features

Huge sunroof, good visibility, comfortable seats, simple controls, smooth ride, safety features, ginormous cargo space, nice back seat, maneuverability.

Suggested Improvements

Move rear view mirror up 1-2 inches. Improve fuel economy. Put gas cap on left side of car.

First Subaru
By TJK

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had the car for a month now. The whole family enjoys driving it. Handles well, very responsive in steering and power for a 4. AC works very well. Thought I would feel "overwhelmed" by the size after a sedan all these yrs but feel comfortable driving. all in all, so far... very happy with the vehicle. We tend to keep our cars until they die so if it lasts as long as the Jetta - 14 yrs-frame rusted out but still runs like a champ - I will be happy. However today, started to smell gas, really strong. Don't know what that is about but quite concerned. called dealer but was after hours. hopefully will talk with them tomorrow.

Favorite Features

sport shift-big selling point. All wheel drive this winter -anxious to see how it handles. Controls easy to reach and use. Heated seats - spoiled, won't buy another car w/o. Sun/moon roof - huge. Adjustable lumbar support, large side mirrors,auto dim rear view mirror, 6 CD changer. Big cup holders

Suggested Improvements

Hate the head rests. I like to sit up straighter but can't because of the design of the head rests. Tilting sun/moon roof. Better quality carpeting. I know it isn't going to last long, very cheap/thin-felt like. Include cargo net. Adjusting passenger seat. Better gas mileage-honestly, it is a 4 cyl.