Used 2010 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 157 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

An excellent SUV
By viper118

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Forester is a fun car to drive. It is smooth, quite and predictable. Gas mileage is difficult to measure. The gas consumption indicator in the dash exaggerates the mileage by about 1 mpg. I have never gotten the promised highway mileage but have always done better than the city mileage claim. For the first 6000 miles I got 23.5 mpg then it jumped to 24.5 mpg and at 17000 miles it jumped to 25.5 mpg. These figures are for city/highway mixed driving. At a steady 65 mph I get about 26.5 mpg. I have heard from several sources that it takes about 25,000 miles to break in a Subaru engine and drive system. My diving style average with easy acceleration.

The boxer engine is silky smooth unlike other 4 cylinder engines. The a wheel drive system seamless. The back seat has a lot of leg room for the size of the car. Overall, this is an excellent car

Raise the seat height of the front passenger seat or make it adjustable. A 5 or 6 speed transmission would make it better for highway cruising and climbing hills. Power is marginally acceptable. Good power would be 200 hp and 200 ft lbs of torque.

Fourth Subaru Forester
By DW

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm almost to the end of my first year with my 2010, the fourth Forester we've bought (we still have 3 of them in the family). Was driving a 2008 Premium, which gave me an insight into how Subaru shaved costs to keep pricing where it is. For 2009 and 2010, they dropped the leather wrapped steering wheel, integrated turn signal lighting in side mirrors, and premium radio with 6 Cd changer in favor of a cheap radio with one CD. Love the ride, how supple it is over bumps. The power is plenty adequate, particularly if you push it over into manumatic and stir it yourself. Like the tinted windows on Premium and Limited. Love, love, love the extra space of the new body style.

Ride quality, interior space, styling, alloy wheel design, visibility, world's largest sunroof, gas mileage, reliability

Higher quality exterior paint, carpet, windshield glass. Raise the passenger seat. Put in a decent radio or offer an upgrade for purchase! And please, please add a 5th gear, or a CVT transmission.

Not happy
By unhappy owner

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First day-blue smoke came out of the tailpipe on startup. Salesman said it should disappear after few hundred mi. After 1 wk it was in service w/ 400 mi with the same problem. Subaru service MGR said "the blue smoke is normal and part of breaking in." Service changed oil & filter for an OC test. This brand new car still blows blue smoke everyday on cold start and even if it's been sitting for few hrs. Been going to service once, twice, & even 3x/wk and service MGR keeps telling my that my car is "normal and its part of breaking in." I lose a lot of oil within a wk (1qt+) & still waiting for Subaru to do something. Service refuse to fix the car. 1st time buying new car & not happy with Subaru.

I do like the visibility,leather interior, & awd but other than that I wish I'd never gotten a Subaru. I have more problem on my 2010 Subaru Forester than my '90 Toyota Celica. Not even a month yet.

It's very embarrassing when I startup my car in the parking lot and big cloud of blue smoke comes out of the back of car. People look at me then looks at my brand new Forester. My Toyota is more reliable w/ over 213k mi & never burn oil like this! Subaru - What's going on here?

General observations
By Bertram R. Eisner

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am 84 years old and have been driving for 60 years. This Forester; 1. overall a plain car for $25,000 2. Bad gas cap place;near bottom of car 3. backing up is not smooth.Bad. 4. Heating and air poor. 5. Dashboard bare;cannot see clock or temperature because no contrast; poor colors used. 6. no light in glove box. 7. Cargo door is not well planned;clumsy to use. 8.Rear view mirrors block view; and not heated. Overall not a good choice. I made a mistake. There other short comings but no sense in going on.

Feeling of saftey. Good size interior. Appearance. handles.On drivers and passengers innovative. Slot like handle are good and and helpful.

Review short comings nnad try to improve. Does this go to mfg?

Rattles
By Zoe

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Rather "tinny". Presently have an 09 Impreza and 07 Legacy in household in addition to the 2010 Forester. The Forester is by far the poorest quality of the 3. Legacy is just a tank. Real nice to drive. Very tight! Great car! So is Impreza. It appears to us that the quality in workmanship exhibited in the Legacy is absent in the Forester. The rattles (door and ceiling in our case) are truly annoying. The dealer seems to be at a lost when trying to pinpoint the cause and is unaware of these complaints that appear to be quite common with this model and documented on numerous internet sites. When paying in the 30- 35 K range these are things that must not occur. Plan to trade in the next year

Cargo space is very good for the size. Value for price is good excluding rattle issue

More continuous quality improvement is required by the manufacturer for this model. Quality of workmanship needs big improvement. Adjustable passenger seat a must as std equipment