2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Good deal, but it really is noisy
By PhillySubie on 06/01/10 10:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I like the Forester -- it has everything we were looking for in terms of performance, room, and affordability and we have a much higher confidence in our family's safety with the AWD and high safety ratings. The glaring issue is the road and wind noise at 45 mph+. I don't think I picked up on it enough in the test drive. I feel like I'm driving a giant penny whistle, or camping on Everest. I expect/hope to get used to it, but Subaru really needs to work on this issue.

Rattle solution
By Dr.Trout on 05/27/10 19:08 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Immediately after purchase, my Forrester performed wonderfully at all speeds on an 1800 mile road trip and with better than advertised mileage. On a dirt road, I got carried away and came face to face with another vehicle on a sharp turn in sand with no way to stop in time. Took a very high bobsled bank on the right in sand and swooned down before my wife's heart had a chance to skip a beat. 2 weeks later a sudden rattle occurred on my way to work. In had put the plates on the night before. The rear one came with only 2 screws. Put 2 more in the bottom holes and presto, no rattle.

Great for the $$$$
By Mark Mandell on 05/27/10 16:39 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

For awhile took some adjusting on my part because I often made the error of having the gearshift in the "sport" mode and was overtaxing the gas mileage by doing so. When I finally corrected that (grateful to my salesman for that) I simply shifted the gear to the correct position and that made all the difference. Being this car is an AWD and has the turbo feature, it handles all the roads very smoothly. Can even drive quite fast and wouldn't notice the difference. Not sure whether having a 5th gear would make a difference as many others have commented about. The factory installed radio is weak but I experienced the same thing with my last car, a Volvo.

Love it
By gloria on 05/25/10 15:24 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I gave up an eclipse spyder gts for this SUV I thought I am downgrading but to my amazement this is just as fun as a convertible, drives really good, love the sunroof actually better than a convertible because I could still enjoy the sun without messing up my hair. The interior is a lot better compared to CR-V, rogue, and rav4. I am a very satisfied owner. I still have to wait for winter to see well it does but from what I heard it works really good. Love it! And I will recommend it to my friends. Thanks to the wonderful staff at ganley wickliffe Ohio. I did not feel pressured and was very accommodating. More power to you guys. God bless.

Forester won't disappoint. Sweet ride.
By Alex on 05/25/10 10:15 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Me and my wife just purchased a 2010 Forester on 5/8/2010. Color is pearl, auto w/sport shift, moon roof, 17 in wheels. I love my forester! I have only let my wife drive it once. I haven't run across anyone that hasn't liked Pearl. The Forester is liked by adults/children, men and women doesn't matter it's a great car and very liked or loved depending on your point of view. Love the moon room. The passengers love the space. I love the cargo area and the adjustable drivers seat! It handles like a dream especially on rough surfaces, tight corners and in the rain. You will not be disappointed. Sweet ride! Get one!

AWD
By New York on 05/25/10 08:37 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just got my 2010 Forester 2.5x Premium and I can say I don't hear any rattles. For the price I think that this is a great car. Yes, I agree about the plastic on the dash but it is simple and clean. At 6'4" I find the drivers sit very comfortable and plenty of room in the back seat. I like at the sport grill but I like the grill that it came with better so no need to spend money replacing it.

Great utility vehicle
By Josh on 05/24/10 19:08 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm not gross speeder, but I typically go with the flow of traffic. In CA, it's about 80 mph. The Forester has no problem cruising at such speeds; the annoyance is the acceleration up to that speed. The 0-60 times are on par with a Prius, no joke. The vehicle is a good height to get into and out of. The doors open a full 90 degrees. The sheet metal on the car, combined with the very light plastics give the overall first impression of cheap, but no problems to report. Driving dynamics on the road are decent for an SUV, but suffers from understeer in emergency handling. Transmission is easily confused in certain situations.

Don't get the 170hp model
By Hank on 05/23/10 19:32 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Sure, the car's fun to drive and looks good. With the 170 hp engine, I have to constantly redline the engine to merge with traffic. When it finally gets up to speed, it's very responsive. Opening and closing the doors and you realize how cheaply made the body is. Like a coffee can on wheels. Driver seat must have been made for short legged people. Cheap radio has SAT button but you need to buy the extra satellite option. MPG drops because of the weak 4 cylinder 170 hp engine. My Dodge Caravan with a 6 cylinder had much better acceleration but had almost as good gas mileage because the engine didn't have to strain as much. Only good thing is that it's a company car that I'll have2 years

Pull over posers - this is the real deal
By pl2 on 05/20/10 19:17 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

We're still under the 1000 mi. break-in so no speed records yet, but even with mild acceleration, you can feel that this little wagon has a dirty little secret that is eluded to only by the big air scoop on the hood (which really works by the way - this is no poser!). Supposedly this is a 7 sec. To 60. Not terribly fast, but nice to have in a wagon when you need it. The interior is well designed and comfortable. The engine with the turbo is noisy! You are constantly reminded that its there! Drives very well and smooth - handles good and does not feel like a cumbersome SUV. Great turning radius, which I am really beginning to appreciate. Nice stereo. Overall a very surprising car!

Rattle trap
By Dale on 05/20/10 18:18 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Should have know better as my 06 Forester rattled from the day I drove it off the lot. Within a month the 2010 Forrester passenger side door started to rattle and then the drivers side door. Dealer can't find the source. It's now to the point where I feel like I'm driving a popcorn popper. The vehicle gets good mileage, handles well, has great utility and is great in Vermont winters but the rattling takes the fun out of driving it. I'm going to start a "Share the Hate Campaign" on You Tube! I'd look at Honda or Toyota even though a little more costly than the Subaru. I contacted Subaru Corporate and their response was "Contact your dealer." No responsibility. They just build them!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$99 per month*