Used 2010 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Better in Most Ways
By Roger

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the Third Subaru We have purchased. I use a 2006 Forester for commuting. We have had the 2010 for about three weeks now and have put on some 1000 miles. We have come up with the following improvements with the new Forester; Much smoother ride, much quieter cabin, very comfortable seats, More leg room, rear seats are much more comfortable with more leg room especially with the reclining feature. when exiting the vehicle, you don't have to climb up out of it like the older versions. We found we didn't like lack of snappy response the older models had, no temp gauge, and less interior storage. That said, we have found the Forester to be a much better vehicle than the last version.

Favorite Features

Quiet Cabin, More Leg room in Rear for Passengers, Smoother Ride

Suggested Improvements

More cabin storage, Weatherband on radio, Cup holders that work with cups with handles, Temperature gauge not an idiot light.

Don't expect more than what you pay for
By sunnynaples

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Subaru 2.5x Special Edition. I bought the 2010 Forester based on safety ratings and reliable all wheel drive. It drives great in heavy rain. The interior is roomy enough for a tall 6'3" man to fit comfortably front and back. The cargo area has an outlet for a fan and fits the dog and dog bed perfectly. Like the other reviews mentioned, you hear road noise. I had my non-Subaru mechanic take it for a spin & he said it was because the engine itself is so quiet. The interior fixings aren't great, but the car was about 10k less than what most of my friends have paid for American SUVs. Overall, I'm satisfied with the purchase and hope to keep the car 10- 12 years.

Favorite Features

Large cargo area. Lots of leg room. Multiple outlets. Minimal to no blind spots.

Suggested Improvements

Better cloth seats. Ability for driver seat to go higher. Door arm rests that are horizontal because arms can't actually rest on them the way they are now. Door lock automatically when engine starts.

Truly A Practical SUV
By dave128

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm 6'5" and fit rather nicely with the seat lowered fully. Pre-2009 models were not as roomy. I actually fit in the back seat fairly well. More comfortable than my 07 Accord. Visibility is great. Averaging 22 mpg the first week. The interior is very functional. The AC is definitely NOT weak. I drive in a rather hilly region and the Forester handles the roads with ease. Turbo would have been real overkill (as well as a higher insurance premium).

Favorite Features

Interior lighting is nice. A tiny overhead blue LED illuminates the center console area at night. The radio is quite decent. It shows station names, song artist and title. The auto dimming rear view mirror & compass really do work like they're supposed to. Makes night driving a lot more tolerable.

Suggested Improvements

Better speakers. A real temperature gauge rather than the idiot light. Fuel gauge is too big, wasted panel space. Combine the ignition key and remote control.

Awesome ride
By Doriss

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am quite new to the Subaru experience although family members have owned them. I love the body style of the Forester and the smooth ride it gives me. Instrument panel is simple and easy to access. All-wheel-drive was a must for me and Subaru has perfected that engineering.I love it and now understand why Subaru advertising includes "Love" in their commercials! It says it all!

Favorite Features

Favorite feature is the seamless ride, as though the car is gliding along the road. Instrumentation is user friendly but not at all distracting.

Suggested Improvements

I am concerned about how well (or badly) the carpet might wear. Quality could be better.

Built for all terrain!
By 2nd Subaru

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Subaru (other was 1998 Outback) and like it as much as the first. The interior is comfortable and exterior is sharp. I read other reviews about rattles and other annoyances and only have this to say: "If you want a quiet luxury car, spend $50,000 and shut up. If you want a very capable, fun to drive SUV that is an unbelievable value, give the Forester a shot". Firmness of the suspension lets you know that it is truly off-road capable. Engine has enough horses to get you to highway speed quickly. Sure a 5-speed transmission would be great for a little more mileage, but getting power from the engine to the wheels is more important to me than 2 to 3 miles per gallon.

Favorite Features

Large Sunroof, sure-footed AWD, comfortable heated leather seats, heated front window and mirror, leg room for front and rear passengers

Suggested Improvements

Make Satellite Radio Standard, 10-way electric adjustable passenger seat, automatic locking doors