2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
No Regrets Buying
By TJK on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was trading in a large SUV and wanted something more car like but still have the convenience of an SUV. I test drove the CR-V and RAV4. The Toyota was still truck like, even though the Honda had a nice interior I did not like the way it handled. The Subaru was more fun to drive and I just liked how the AWD is standard. I'm surprised at how well the car drives and how smooth it is going over the highway. I am disappointed on the MPG, but much better than a giant SUV. So far I am very happy with this car. It has some small rattles, but it is also not a $50,000 car. My friend's CR-V also has rattles. I recommend this car highly.

My First Subaru
By lad on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

i've been driving my forester for 6 months now. Drives great-love the handling-it really grips the road. Good gas mileage-avg. 27 mpg. Back seat is great for kids-very roomy,they love the reclining seats and center console with cup holders. I do wish their was more room in front center console for purse- I removed partition, but it eliminates one cup holder when doing so. Drivers seat is comfy but wish it had memory for when my husband and I switch. Passenger seat should have 10 way power as well because it is very low and at only 5' 2" I have a hard time seeing. Overall I have been extremely satisfied with my purchase and can't wait to try my AWD this winter.

Awesome Ride
By Sean on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Traded in my 2004 Impreza RS for a 2010 XT Limited. This thing handles like a dream. The ride is great, very smooth, great pick up. The stock turbo isn't too bad, would be nice to have WRX type power though. I like the interior and the cargo room, it's great for the kids aka dogs. It would be nice to have a better stock stereo, (like the Harmon Kardon in the Outback LTD) I did purchase a Limited edition after all. iPod interface would be nice as well as opposed to just AUX jack. I love the monster sized moon roof, the

An excellent SUV
By viper118 on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Forester is a fun car to drive. It is smooth, quite and predictable. Gas mileage is difficult to measure. The gas consumption indicator in the dash exaggerates the mileage by about 1 mpg. I have never gotten the promised highway mileage but have always done better than the city mileage claim. For the first 6000 miles I got 23.5 mpg then it jumped to 24.5 mpg and at 17000 miles it jumped to 25.5 mpg. These figures are for city/highway mixed driving. At a steady 65 mph I get about 26.5 mpg. I have heard from several sources that it takes about 25,000 miles to break in a Subaru engine and drive system. My diving style average with easy acceleration.

Wish I'd Bought Another Toyo Sienna
By Andy on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I researched and compared the Subaru Forester Premium with a Toyota Sienna, 2010 models. Because the Toyo was about $4,000 more I decided to go with the Subaru. Do I regret that decision! I've taken my Subaru to the dealer three times already since I purchased it in August. The car is very noisy upon start-up, but fine once I drive. Every start-up is noisy. The dealer keeps saying its part of Subaru's design, but I'm not buying it. Also, after about a month of driving, I continue to hear the rear seats rattle. If I could return this car I'd do so w/o hesitation. The ext/inter design is okay, but I certainly regret not buying the Toyota Sienna! Think twice before buying a Subaru.

Fourth Subaru Forester
By DW on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm almost to the end of my first year with my 2010, the fourth Forester we've bought (we still have 3 of them in the family). Was driving a 2008 Premium, which gave me an insight into how Subaru shaved costs to keep pricing where it is. For 2009 and 2010, they dropped the leather wrapped steering wheel, integrated turn signal lighting in side mirrors, and premium radio with 6 Cd changer in favor of a cheap radio with one CD. Love the ride, how supple it is over bumps. The power is plenty adequate, particularly if you push it over into manumatic and stir it yourself. Like the tinted windows on Premium and Limited. Love, love, love the extra space of the new body style.

Not happy
By unhappy owner on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First day-blue smoke came out of the tailpipe on startup. Salesman said it should disappear after few hundred mi. After 1 wk it was in service w/ 400 mi with the same problem. Subaru service MGR said "the blue smoke is normal and part of breaking in." Service changed oil & filter for an OC test. This brand new car still blows blue smoke everyday on cold start and even if it's been sitting for few hrs. Been going to service once, twice, & even 3x/wk and service MGR keeps telling my that my car is "normal and its part of breaking in." I lose a lot of oil within a wk (1qt+) & still waiting for Subaru to do something. Service refuse to fix the car. 1st time buying new car & not happy with Subaru.

General observations
By Bertram R. Eisner on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am 84 years old and have been driving for 60 years. This Forester; 1. overall a plain car for $25,000 2. Bad gas cap place;near bottom of car 3. backing up is not smooth.Bad. 4. Heating and air poor. 5. Dashboard bare;cannot see clock or temperature because no contrast; poor colors used. 6. no light in glove box. 7. Cargo door is not well planned;clumsy to use. 8.Rear view mirrors block view; and not heated. Overall not a good choice. I made a mistake. There other short comings but no sense in going on.

Rattles
By Zoe on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Rather "tinny". Presently have an 09 Impreza and 07 Legacy in household in addition to the 2010 Forester. The Forester is by far the poorest quality of the 3. Legacy is just a tank. Real nice to drive. Very tight! Great car! So is Impreza. It appears to us that the quality in workmanship exhibited in the Legacy is absent in the Forester. The rattles (door and ceiling in our case) are truly annoying. The dealer seems to be at a lost when trying to pinpoint the cause and is unaware of these complaints that appear to be quite common with this model and documented on numerous internet sites. When paying in the 30- 35 K range these are things that must not occur. Plan to trade in the next year

On My Third Forester
By Qnique on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Forester gave it up for me and protected me when a semi ran me into a cement median going 65 mph. I walked away with only bruises from the seat belt. The 2010 Forester replacement is 3" taller and 3" longer. It is very roomy and comfortable. I personally prefer the fabric upholstery (not hot in the summer and cold in the winter), AND the front seats are heated! Even though the car is larger, the tight turning radius is still very good. I have not experienced any issues with rattles or noise. In fact, this '10 is much quieter than the '05. More than anything, my Foresters have always been excellent handling, spunky, reliable and have risen to any challenge presented.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$98 per month*