Used 2010 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

sun roof
By mrstjk

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

wondering if anyone out there is having issues with the sunroof on 2010 Forester? mine has been in the shop 6 times for leaks while raining. Dealer even replaced the sun roof last time around and still leaks. really getting tired of this and concerned about possible problems-rust, mildew, mold-down the road. Subaru offered me extended warranty but that just isn't enough anymore. Either fix the problem or give me new car. did alot of research/test drives/talks with car owners before purchasing first subaru. Likely to be my last if this isn't resolved to my satisfaction and soon.

1 year later
By mrstjk

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

wrote a review 8/10 after 1 mth ownership, gas smell was a mouse who had eaten the gas line! fixed-no repeats. 5/11-leaking from rear shoulder harness after a few days rain. seal on sunroof pulled loose & drain not connected. okay until this week - again leaking. two days in shop and they cannot recreate leak. my concern is about mold/mildew/rust in future. thinking about getting rid of it if dealer or Subaru won't do something. otherwise, I do love the Forester. great in snow/handles well/has improved to 22-23 MPG, mixed so not too bad. little "rough" til it warms up but after that, is quiet. seems to hold value in resale - at least at dealer.

know the cup holders are "weird" but I honestly like them! big enough to accommodate large drink cups... or lots of stuff. Fog lights - heated seats - sun roof. accommodated an assembled 4 burner grill after purchasing - was impressed. uses regular gas- previous car used premium.

hate, hate, hate the head rests! they slant too far forward. just cannot find a comfortable position for long no matter how much I adjust the head rest and the seat. interior materials look/feel cheap. controls for heated seats could be in better location. better radio/sound system and positioning of speakers.

Great car, but sold it after one year
By danwatson

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2010 Limited when a job caused me to relocate to Mammoth Lakes, CA. We live at 8000 feet and we got oveer 50 feet of snow. With snow tires, the Forester never let us down. Its great turning radius, relatively high ground clearance and AWD handles the snow well. But, at this elevation, with only a 4 speed automatic, it's missing a couple of cylinders. Transmission downshifts regularly on hills. And, it was a little small for my wife and me. It's great around town, but not great as a road car. This was our first Subaru and we traded it on an Outback which fits our needs. And, we traded it in for $2500 less than we paid after 18,000 miles!

Handling in the snow. Overall build quality is good. We did not have any problems in 18,000 miles. Lots of storage space for a car this size.

Give it a 5 speed automatic!

2011 Forester are not representative of the Subaru name
By nornet

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had 3 Subarus. The plain old vanilla Legacy sedan was by far the best of the bunch (2008). The Outback Limited (2007) was pretty close behind. The Forester was one of the poorest vehicles I have drive. You can not sit in these seats for more than 2 hours. This problen goes back at least 10 years. My first encounter with a Forester (2000) was in the same quality seats. If you wan't to shuttle around the city than this can be overlooked but for any distance driving look elsewhere.

Definitely Love my Subaru
By rthomas18

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my subaru in May 2010 - put 22,000 miles on it over the past 6 months -- 2500 where I was towing at the maximum capacity. I could not be happier with the performance. The seats could be more comfy, and yes - the cup holders absolutely suck (I was told by a guy in the service department to use a strip of foam-works pretty well). It's a great car at a great price - just wish they offered the leather interior w/the 5-speed!

Offering leather interior w/the 5-speed. Cup Holders that actual hold your cup.

• SUV